Belmont Area Mountain Bike Association (bamba)

Postby iodi on Fri 9/Apr/10 11:45am

Introducing BAMBA
The Belmont Area Mountain Bike Association (BAMBA) was recently established as an incorporated society to promote the interests of mountain bikers and other recreational users of the Belmont Regional Park (BRP).

Membership
Membership of BAMBA is free and open to anyone interested in the Belmont Regional Park. A key role for BAMBA will be advocating the interests of mountain bikers within Belmont Regional Park, in terms of continuing access to tracks, maintenance of tracks, and potentially building more tracks. The more members that BAMBA has, the more influence it will have with the Greater Wellington Regional Council and other stakeholders, so please sign up. While formal membership procedures are being established contact the committee, or send me a PM, with your name and email address and we’ll add you to the membership list.

The vision of BAMBA is
"To maintain, enhance and develop BRP assets and resources within BRP and the surrounding Western hills, by providing a premier destination for Mountain Biking as a recreational and competitive activity, and to successfully integrate this activity with those of other user groups while minimising impacts on the environment."

BAMBA who’s who
President: Steve Elden (contact: training [add the usual 'at' symbol] protrain.co.nz)
Vice President: (Vacant)
Secretary: Marco Renall (contact: mtb [add the usual 'at' symbol] pnp.org.nz)
Treasurer: Nicole Swain
Committee:
- Tyrone McGrath (Tracks)
- Dave Aldred (Cross Country)
- Craig McGinnity (Downhill/Jumps)
- Matt Clarke & Marco Renall (Advocacy)

About Belmont Regional Park
Belmont Regional Park covers 3500 hectares of hills and valleys between Porirua and Hutt Valley, including the 1200 hectare Waitangirua Farm. Points of interest within the park include: Korokoro Dam, World War II ammunition magazines, and part of the original Old Coach Road. Spectacular views of the park and beyond are on offer from several peaks including Boulder Hill, Round Knob, Cannons Head, and Belmont Trig.

Tracks in Belmont Regional Park
There are a variety of tracks ranging from gentle bush clad strolls (Cornish Street), technical tracks (Baked Beans Bend), sweet single track (Danzig), through to extreme DH tracks (Last Sun) – all connected by a network of 4x4 farm roads. In total there’s more than 100km of tracks and farm roads within the park, as shown in the following map.
BRP.jpg

For more information about the tracks in BRP see Belmont Regional Park.

Further information
BAMBA’s vision and society rules are attached.
Vision_Objectives.doc
Downloaded 133 times
BAMBA rules.pdf
Downloaded 100 times

A website for BAMBA will be developed soon. In the meantime, if you have any questions or comments about BAMBA or Belmont Regional Park, use the contact details above or just post in this thread.
Last edited by iodi on Mon 19/Apr/10 3:43pm, edited 2 times in total.
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Re: Belmont Area Mountain Bike Association (bamba)

Postby Robbie on Fri 9/Apr/10 4:56pm

This is a great initiative, join up everybody!!

Weight of numbrrs is one of the best ways to have our point of view considered, and these tracks to stay alive and well for mountainbiking...
Robbie
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby iodi on Sat 10/Apr/10 8:07am

Robbie wrote:This is a great initiative, join up everybody!!

Weight of numbrrs is one of the best ways to have our point of view considered, and these tracks to stay alive and well for mountainbiking...

The more the merrier. Did I mention that membership is free!
iodi
"I like dolphins"

Postby DaveAldred on Sun 11/Apr/10 10:18am

Did I really volunteer for the XC committee post? I sense the hand of serial "volunteerer of the unwitting", Marco Renali!

Will have to come up with some cool ideas and jack up a few XC Lulz loops.

Davo
DaveAldred
"Bushlove - Strictly Sifting"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby iodi on Tue 13/Apr/10 12:37pm

FYI, here are the minutes of the BAMBA meeting held last Thursday evening.

Two particular things to note:
1. There's a track work party on Danzig to be held on 25 April (will post more about that shortly), and
2. The signage mentioned in the minutes looks like the following example.
naturevalleysign.JPG
Minutes_20100408.doc
Downloaded 64 times
iodi
"I like dolphins"

Postby iodi on Tue 13/Apr/10 12:39pm

BAMBA working bee on Danzig, 10:00am Sunday 25th April. Meet at the top (intersection with Old Coach Road) at 10am or wander up/down Danzig later.

The objective is to rake off the pine needles and generally tidy up the track in preparation for gravel to be spread along the track by a Corrections Department team. Everyone welcome.
danzig.jpg
iodi
"I like dolphins"

Postby iodi on Fri 16/Apr/10 6:12pm

If you sent me a PM about joining BAMBA but didn't receive a reply, then your message disappeared into the ether. Sorry about that, my fail. Please PM me again and I'll try to get it right this time.
iodi
"I like dolphins"

Postby iodi on Sat 24/Apr/10 10:07am

Reminder that there's a session working on Danzig tomorrow (Sunday). Meet at the top at 9am, or down the track if later, and bring a rake or pruner if you can.

Everyone welcome.
iodi
"I like dolphins"

Postby Daviee on Sun 17/Oct/10 9:28pm

notice that danzig is getting vary worn and rutted, is there any plan in near future for work on the track as it is a really good track when in good conduction
Daviee
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby speeding_ant on Sun 17/Oct/10 9:37pm

Please change your name to Belmont Area Mountain Bike Initiation/Institution.

That'd be rad :thumbsup:
speeding_ant
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby cruiser on Mon 18/Oct/10 10:36am

Daviee wrote:notice that danzig is getting vary worn and rutted, is there any plan in near future for work on the track as it is a really good track when in good conduction

I agree, good conduction would make Danzig a real buzz!!
cruiser
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby iodi on Mon 18/Oct/10 7:34pm

Daviee wrote:notice that danzig is getting vary worn and rutted, is there any plan in near future for work on the track as it is a really good track when in good conduction

I've alerted Marco and will report back with maintenace plans. I assume you're volunteering to help out with a bit of work on the track.
iodi
"I like dolphins"

Postby iodi on Fri 22/Oct/10 5:54pm

From Marco's weekly PNP email:

Belmont Working Bee tomorrow Sat 23rd 9am

We need to rake pine needles off Danzig and dig out a few ruts.
Could helpers please park at the far end of Stratton St, Normandale and walk up Danzig.
Bring a rake or grubber, but we have spare tools.
On Sunday morning Tyrone will be working above the Green Shed on Danzig and needs a hand as well please.
iodi
"I like dolphins"

Postby cruiser on Fri 22/Oct/10 6:00pm

Put yer hand up Daviee....see you there eh?
cruiser
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Stumpy Ryder on Fri 22/Oct/10 6:53pm

cruiser wrote:Put yer hand up Daviee....see you there eh?

you won't see him thou, thought you are fulled up with study haha
Stumpy Ryder
"Aint nothing much like ridin' trails"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Cycling | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | News | Regions | Wellington Region - Latest Posts