Re: Beer.

Postby Wobbler on Sat 30/Apr/16 12:40pm

scatter wrote:Well late to the party on sour beers.
Was introduced via 8 wired Trippy Berliner. Would make a grouse summer post-ride thirst quencher
Had a Sawmill Pink Boots Gosa Parks recently. Has a bite that I really like.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Ass pav is big on the sours he should have some.
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby wachtourak on Sat 30/Apr/16 4:25pm

Mort Subite Oude Gueuze = best
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 18 years 10 months

Postby Trail on Sat 30/Apr/16 5:13pm

scatter wrote:Well late to the party on sour beers.
Was introduced via 8 wired Trippy Berliner. Would make a grouse summer post-ride thirst quencher
Had a Sawmill Pink Boots Gosa Parks recently. Has a bite that I really like.

Anyone got any recommendations?

8 wired do a few. Try their Feijoa sour if you get a chance. Hippy Berliner is basically a Berlinner Weisse - and they do a cucumber version as well.

I really like the Gose style - it was traditionally made in a region where the water was quite salty - and is a slightly salty sour beer. The perfect post ride electrolyte replacement drink? There are a few of these around at the moment. Kereru do a Gose with seaweed in it...

Good George bring out some good seasonal sours and more and more of the other breweries are doing sours. At the Annual session beer challenge this year there were about 20 sours out of a total of 24 beers entered!

You know there are 2 quite different types of sour? The quick and easy sours (usually kettle sours) which only take a day or two longer than a normal brew (basically they let lactobacillis loose in the beer before they ferment it with yeast) and then there are the barrel sours. The kettle sours are usually quite a clean sour note (mostly lactic acid). The barrel sours have all sorts of complex flavours from a wide array of bugs chewing on the beer after it has been fermented.

Go see the man at the Beer Library on Colombo st outside the Sydnhm mall thing. He has an awesome selection and should be able to provide you with some...
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby wachtourak on Sat 30/Apr/16 5:49pm

The Wild Beer Co Gose was good, so was the Sierra Nevada one. Wild Beer Co was better though.

Parrotdog did a fresh hop sour for Hopstock, was awesome and more grapefruity than other sours I've had, not sure there will be any left though, presumably was keg only.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 18 years 10 months

Postby Trail on Sun 1/May/16 5:07pm

Some of the Wild Beer Co stuff is great!

I had a Behemoth Backyard Bliss this arvo. A gose with guavas (from the brewers backyard) in it. Was tasty.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby dwgknz on Fri 27/May/16 2:44pm

No one ever had a sip of Lion Red and thought these are the guys we should sell to unless a metric fuckton of money was involved.

Hats off to Panhead dudes, they got to live the dream and make something of it.

It's shitty though cause I really lik Supercharger, but hey, they might be right, it might not change.

http://panheadcustomales.com/latest/55-craft-beer-hits-top-gear
dwgknz
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby scatter on Fri 27/May/16 3:46pm

Trail wrote:Go see the man at the Beer Library on Colombo st outside the Sydnhm mall thing. He has an awesome selection and should be able to provide you with some...

The girl gave me some excellent advice. Sampled the Freigeist Bierkultur range and came home with their Rhubarb Gose. YUM! Also bought home a Duchesse De Bourgogne (Flanders Red Ale - holy moly! Almost balsamic taste. Have to be careful what you consume it with though) and a British sour that I can't remember the name of just right now.

wachtourak wrote:Parrotdog did a fresh hop sour for Hopstock, was awesome and more grapefruity than other sours I've had, not sure there will be any left though, presumably was keg only.

You talking about the Rarebird Moa? If so, a friend and I shared a bottle at the Dux on Wednesday. Only 4 bottles left! [edit] The Beer Library have some still too
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 18 years 9 months

Postby jo on Fri 27/May/16 4:01pm

On similar note - had a Tiamana Orange Wheat beer a few weeks ago which was exceptional.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 18 years 4 months

Postby scatter on Tue 28/Jun/16 5:41pm

The sour offerings from Moa are rubbish.

Got me the 8 Wired Feijoa Sour to try :cool:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 18 years 9 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Tue 28/Jun/16 7:56pm

Spent a $ or heaps @ Hop Federation on the way back from Kaiteri on Friday. That Red IPA is the ducks.
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 29/Jun/16 8:11am

heartily agree. their Red is very good, as is their Double IPA.

my drink of choice of late has been Garage Project's Lack of Faith. fucking deeeeeelicious.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby Wobbler on Wed 29/Jun/16 8:22am

wachtourak wrote:Mort Subite Oude Gueuze = best

Its totally just scrumpy and steinlager mixed up

although poppin bottles was super classy
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Sims on Wed 29/Jun/16 10:08am

dwgknz wrote:Hats off to Panhead dudes, they got to live the dream and make something of it.
It's shitty though cause I really lik Supercharger, but hey, they might be right, it might not change.

I was just going to mention how much I've been enjoying Panhead... Shame.
Might have to switch to Lakeman
Sims
Member for: 19 years 2 months

Postby dwgknz on Tue 31/Jan/17 11:05am

Another one.

http://www.tuatarabrewing.co.nz/blog/ChampionbreweryTuataracraftsdealwithDB/

A bit closer to home, direct from the brewery is among the closest places for me to buy any beer.

But congratulations for the Vastas for being able to build something from the ground up and then get out while they're on top and still young and kicking. I bet a rest looks great after so much growth and work!
dwgknz
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 31/Jan/17 5:12pm

Fucking big business scum taking it all over just cos they can.

this is almost like history repeating itself. eventually we're gonna have 2/3 big breweries (owned by overseas corps) owning all the small guys just like they did in the 50s/60s/70s/80s///

another one to stop drinking because I dont want my money to go to the fatcat bastard corporate hollow suits and overseas megacorps... even tho i love Tuatara's APA,
loved the Supercharger, and quite enjoyed many of Emerson's brews, and now I just cant bring myself to give my beer monies to them

Thank fuck there's so many others on the market that are still independent. Garage Project are still the best by far. But Behemoth, McLeods, Liberty, etc all good drinking
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Food | Sifting - Latest Posts