Postby jeremyb on Fri 10/Oct/08 3:32pm

Tugboat wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
Given that just the engine in that car costs > $500k NZ I'd say they're well screwed, it was amazing they came back after the Radisich ordeal.

They haven't paid the bills from that rebuild yet have they? :sly:

Someones propping them up, it costs about $5-6M to run a 2 car team for a season but its not exactly half that for one car...
jeremyb
"www.derailled.co.nz - New Zealand Cycling Forum"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby Spokes on Fri 10/Oct/08 3:40pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote: Pah, most of that will buff right out, bit of bondo, couple cans of spraypaint and an hour or so with an adjustable wrench will have it looking as good as new.

Answer me this:

if you can build a roll cage then drape it in faux holden panels (as is allowed see the post on page 3 quoting from wiki) then WHY THE HELL ARE YOU RESTRICTED TO TAXIS AND REPMOBILES? WHY NOT SOMETHING COOL??? C300 Chrysler, Aston Martin, Humber 80, anything but the bloody repmobiles (leaving aside the fact that the two marques own the series and have set it up for their benefit.. and mitsubishi offered a brazillian of money to get involved only to be turned down).

In spite of my previous Andre200 style posts, I accept that this is a silhouette class and underneath these are pukka racing cars, but the format is so tedious and the cars so ugly I cant watch it. its designed to appeal to muppets whose only involvement is that of the thugby fan "Im a Ford man" "Im a Holden man" lets fight is the same level of discourse as : "go the Pies" or "Caaaaaannnnabrreeeeeeeee": fucking Neolithic and moronic.

bah humbug.

I will answer this for you.

Because this is a local race with history. It is supposed to be for cars designed and assembled in Aussie. There are classes like you mentioned just in the US etc. So if you want to watch US cars watch US races. Agreed some people wont like it and the Greenes hate it(which is enough reason to support it more).

But many love this race and its history.

You do know they run endurance races at Bathurst with all that boring jap shit too. Just nobody is that intrested in it.

My Troll for the day :D
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby wachtourak on Fri 10/Oct/08 3:44pm

lol team kiwi

that was an awesome crash lol

they should just give up already. PCR and Sprint Gas are both more Kiwi than TKR, and are much faster
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Fri 10/Oct/08 4:06pm

Spokes wrote:

Because this is a local race with history. It is supposed to be for cars designed and assembled in Aussie. There are classes like you mentioned just in the US etc. So if you want to watch US cars watch US races. Agreed some people wont like it and the Greenes hate it(which is enough reason to support it more).

You do know they run endurance races at Bathurst with all that boring jap shit too. Just nobody is that intrested in it.

what I was getting at is that this is almost NASCAR now. (actually its more like RC car racing: one chassis and this week we have a Nissan plastic body, next week its a repmobile.)

The last exciting car race I watched was the Wellington Street race: an E30 BMW M3 won it, so that tells you how long ago it was. but there were Fuds and Holdons and even Tom Walkinshaw Jags racing. It was cool.

I think the core of my objection is this: no one can sensibly argue that these are not actual racing cars, or that the racing is not exciting and close. The racing is great, but the marketing sucks and the cars they are supposed to evoke are pig shit. and if "what wins on sunday sells on monday were true" why couldnt you have a Toyota.or a misterbishi, or a subaru or something other than fud and holdon?. I acknowledge that it does tie into a lot of other political stuff like having ausie cars (they're OUR cars mate) and all that. so, um, yeah.

how about that local sports team?
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby pinkmaggit on Fri 10/Oct/08 4:13pm

how about that spelling?
pinkmaggit
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby wachtourak on Fri 10/Oct/08 4:21pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
Spokes wrote:

what I was getting at is that this is almost NASCAR now. (actually its more like RC car racing: one chassis and this week we have a Nissan plastic body, next week its a repmobile.)

The last exciting car race I watched was the Wellington Street race: an E30 BMW M3 won it, so that tells you how long ago it was. but there were Fuds and Holdons and even Tom Walkinshaw Jags racing. It was cool.

I think the core of my objection is this: no one can sensibly argue that these are not actual racing cars, or that the racing is not exciting and close. The racing is great, but the marketing sucks and the cars they are supposed to evoke are pig shit. and if "what wins on sunday sells on monday were true" why couldnt you have a Toyota.or a misterbishi, or a subaru or something other than fud and holdon?. I acknowledge that it does tie into a lot of other political stuff like having ausie cars (they're OUR cars mate) and all that. so, um, yeah.

how about that local sports team?

We get it, you don't like V8 Supercars. Go post in the F1 thread or something.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"

Postby free_rider21 on Fri 10/Oct/08 4:22pm

neels wrote: Remember when he took out the two leading cars (5 years ago?) when he exited the pits several laps down and decided to join in the battle for the lead of the race.

thumbsup:

To be fair to Morris, it was his teammate, Cant remeber the name something reid. Poor Neil Crompton leading the race.
But he is a useless driver and I'll be very surprised if they get through the weekend without booting someone off the track
free_rider21

Postby Spokes on Fri 10/Oct/08 4:34pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:

I was Point chief on the hairpin at those races. Yes the racing was good. But that was production car racing. Which (I think) we still have, you clearly dont watch it.

Just a side note, I got hit by an HQ at that meeting and still have the scar.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"

Postby ryda on Fri 10/Oct/08 5:58pm

Spokes wrote:Just a side note, I got hit by an HQ at that meeting and still have the scar.
I was on the the armco crew for 3 yrs :thumbsup: and I'm still scared :p
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby ants06 on Fri 10/Oct/08 6:04pm

Not sure if its posted already but TKR have even less chance now....

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=GG_n-6N_u-8

although other driver was air lifted to hospital as a precaution , and TKR drive admitted seeing the yellow flag!......

well got the chips and the jack Daniels so im set
ants06
"Google first muppet"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby Malcy on Fri 10/Oct/08 6:04pm

pinkmaggit wrote: how How about that spelling?

Fixxored. ;)

Agreed Bigfoot, WRC is/was better. But I really prefer the old days of the unlimited Audi Quattro days etc.

There seems to have been a crash today. I just caught a glimpse on the start of the news. NICE!!! (Must be the above clip I haven't looked at yet).

Anyone remember the Havoc series? I guess we have Youtube these days...
Malcy

Postby istepinyards on Fri 10/Oct/08 6:11pm

jeremyb wrote: Open wheelers attract the nerdy types, tin tops all the way!
I am the furtherest from nerdy you could get JB. Shit I have a single figure IQ so in theory should love V8 Supercars. I am right in their target audience. I have never and will never own either of the 2 brands of car.
I would consider stealing one for a bank robbery though as every second car is either a Ford or Holden so the getaway car would blend right in.
I would rather watch "tickle me Elmo" for 8 or so hours than sit and watch Bathurst.
Still it appeals to mullet wearing VB swilling yobbo's and it has an audience so its a sport that deserves what it has.
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby Spokes on Fri 10/Oct/08 7:12pm

Malcy wrote:
pinkmaggit wrote: how How about that spelling?

Fixxored. ;)

Agreed Bigfoot, WRC is/was better. But I really prefer the old days of the unlimited Audi Quattro days etc.

There seems to have been a crash today. I just caught a glimpse on the start of the news. NICE!!! (Must be the above clip I haven't looked at yet).

Anyone remember the Havoc series? I guess we have Youtube these days...

Yes the new WRC cars are boring. Go back to the RS500s, MGs, Quattros...
Spokes

Postby Spokes on Fri 10/Oct/08 7:17pm

istepinyards wrote:
Still it appeals to mullet wearing VB swilling yobbo's and it has an audience so its a sport that deserves what it has.

Least there not watching golf.
Spokes

Postby Malcy on Fri 10/Oct/08 7:34pm

istepinyards wrote:

Sounds like DH........ :p
Malcy

Motoring | Motorsport | Sifting - Latest Posts