MOPAR or no car!! :satan:

Raaaahhhh!~~(*&%^() :paranoid:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Re: Bathurst 2010

Postby philstar on Wed 13/Oct/10 2:17pm

dented wrote:
philstar wrote: . . . . but evern pre 65 racing allows DOHC engins :)

err, so long as the engine block and cylinder head were both cast prior to December 1965. Whats your point?

the point was that DOHC is old tech.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Conners on Wed 13/Oct/10 2:22pm

surfbum wrote:you seem to be quite lacking in your knowledge
Wobbler wrote:because they have more cams! duuuuuuuuh

Careful, last time you pointed the "lacking in knowledge" stick at someone they snapped it in half and rammed it up your arse with a much bigger "I can so fix my own automatic transmission thankyouverymuch" stick.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Spyder on Wed 13/Oct/10 2:53pm

It doesn't worry me that they're running pushrod, 2 valve V8's that might be deemed "low-tech". The racing is close, but most importantly they're properly fast and handle/stop like the (big) proper race cars they are. As a comparison, you could go watch Suzuki Swift "racing", they're relatively hi-tech, the racing is close but it's boring as boring because they just aren't that fast.
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby dented on Wed 13/Oct/10 6:26pm

philstar wrote:
dented wrote:
philstar wrote: . . . . but evern pre 65 racing allows DOHC engins :)

err, so long as the engine block and cylinder head were both cast prior to December 1965. Whats your point?

the point was that DOHC is old tech.

Aha. Actually that is a good point.
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby mudguard on Wed 13/Oct/10 7:40pm

surfbum wrote:i find it interesting that people think v8 supercars lack technology they're bristling with it and gone are the days of 3 or 4 lap victoies

Which part is high tech?
I think they should keep the same formula (one chassis, two engine choices) but let other manufacturers enter. The only difference between Ford and Holden is the bodywork init?
So what if the company doesn't manufacture a RWD V8. I suspect the Win on Sunday Sell on Monday mantra died sometime ago.
Just kit it up to look like the road car.

But I agree that Group A kind of killed Bathurst for awhile.
mudguard

Postby surfbum on Wed 13/Oct/10 10:01pm

So you would cnsider a porsche 997 gt3 carrera cup car high tech but a aussie v8 supercar low tech i'll tell you right now the v8 supercar is way higher tech than the porsche
surfbum
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby mudguard on Thu 14/Oct/10 7:17am

surfbum wrote:So you would cnsider a porsche 997 gt3 carrera cup car high tech but a aussie v8 supercar low tech i'll tell you right now the v8 supercar is way higher tech than the porsche

Who said anything about a Porsche? Maybe I'll rephrase that. The engines aren't high tech. Steel brakes too.
But that's not the point, makes for good racing.
mudguard

Postby surfbum on Thu 14/Oct/10 8:35am

What about the engine management or the internals of the engine and whats low tech about iron rotors.Have you not had a look at the rotors of a v8 supercar?Suzuki swifts have iron rotors but you said they are high tech,I personally struggle to see anything high tech about them.What about the data loggers for the engines and every other item on the car?Have you never been to the pits and seen all the monitors and the crew monitoring them.If thats not technology i don't know what is.Still you wouldn't know that if you've only seen it on tv would you.
surfbum

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 14/Oct/10 8:50am

AH DONUT CARE! MY DOODLE UZ BIGGAR THUN YOUARES!
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby Percy Pig on Thu 14/Oct/10 9:05am

shmoodiver wrote:AH DONUT CARE! MY DOODLE UZ BIGGAR THUN YOUARES!

Flail. :blink:

Me mate does, he's got a 440 big block Chrysler, so there nah nah nah!! :p
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Fraser on Thu 14/Oct/10 9:22am

You get what you pay for..the Porsche 997 GT Cup cars are cheaper to buy and run over a series than the cost of just the car from the 2010 Ford/Holden V8 Supercar series.

You could even take it up Pikes peak race with the spare cash :paranoid:
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby mudguard on Thu 14/Oct/10 9:44am

surfbum wrote:What about the engine management or the internals of the engine and whats low tech about iron rotors.Have you not had a look at the rotors of a v8 supercar?Suzuki swifts have iron rotors but you said they are high tech,I personally struggle to see anything high tech about them.What about the data loggers for the engines and every other item on the car?Have you never been to the pits and seen all the monitors and the crew monitoring them.If thats not technology i don't know what is.Still you wouldn't know that if you've only seen it on tv would you.

What are you talking about? I never said anything about Suzuki's. The engines are as old as the hills, all the electronics in the world can't them near something turbocharged or multi valved/cam.
Telemetry is nothing spectacular either. I'm not saying it's not a good formula.

I'm saying that it isn't cutting edge.
mudguard

Postby surfbum on Thu 14/Oct/10 11:14am

Theres not much point trying to explain it to a technically challanged person why are turbos and multi valves the only anser formula 1 cars aren't turbo charged and they're producing as much horse power as when they where.Maybe not as a qualifying engine but then they where only good for 2 laps and the tyres for 3.5000 horsepower dragsters aren't multi valve or turbo charged.Indy cars run iron rotors how come they aren't getting called low tech.Do you realise the rules are there for parity if a team gets to good it gets it's wings clipped.I thought it was a well known fact that v8 super cars are way undertyred as well.Imagine if they could run a decent tyre.
surfbum

Postby mudguard on Thu 14/Oct/10 11:29am

surfbum wrote:Theres not much point trying to explain it to a technically challanged person why are turbos and multi valves the only anser formula 1 cars aren't turbo charged and they're producing as much horse power as when they where.Maybe not as a qualifying engine but then they where only good for 2 laps and the tyres for 3.5000 horsepower dragsters aren't multi valve or turbo charged.Indy cars run iron rotors how come they aren't getting called low tech.Do you realise the rules are there for parity if a team gets to good it gets it's wings clipped.I thought it was a well known fact that v8 super cars are way undertyred as well.Imagine if they could run a decent tyre.

I'll say this really slowly this time.
I know the rules are for parity. It's what makes it exciting. It is why they got rid of Group A.
Drag motors are low tech.
Can you explain what is advanced about a push rod, cast iron block with two valves?
130bhp per lite? My 16 year old motor pushes out 110bhp per litre and it's done 200,000 km's!
mudguard

Motoring | Motorsport | Sifting - Latest Posts