Re: Basic Bikes - A Bunch Of Dicks?

Postby Wobbler on Wed 21/Dec/11 11:51am

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
great uncle bulgaria wrote:interesting isn't it.
seems a discount just gives the feel-good factor.
many a canny retailer will crank all prices up and then "discount" all prices to make customers feel special and want to come back.
(I have no idea if this applies to basic bikes or not)
on a large scale this is what the likes of Briscoes and Kathmandu do - have a "sale" on a regular basis - seems to fool punters

as you allude, addng value in other ways sure is really important - the "good guy/gal" thing . . .

Discounts;
My LBS – the owner doesn’t discount or have sales – ever. If I buy something he just knocks some $ of whatever it is because I’m a loyal customer :thumbsup: He does this with other regulars too.

fyi, knocking some $ off is a discount
Wobbler
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby Owen on Wed 21/Dec/11 11:55am

That is all well and good, but why bike shops and not other retailers?
Owen
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 21/Dec/11 11:58am

a fair few other retailers give a small discount if you ask. you just have to ask. Big boxes maybe not so much, but you'd be surprised, and smaller shops often do.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby thorg on Wed 21/Dec/11 11:59am

Owen wrote:That is all well and good, but why bike shops and not other retailers?
other retailers do. Not the big chian stores, they make their profit from volume (lower margins). You mean you dont get discount elsewhere?
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Wed 21/Dec/11 12:00pm

Owen wrote:That is all well and good, but why bike shops and not other retailers?

Bike shops - because this is a bike forum we are in
I suspect that if you went to a fly fishng, skateboarding, paragliding, motor-racing, comepetitive crocheting forum you would find similar discussions.
great uncle bulgaria
User avatarMedal
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 4 years 1 month

Postby scatter on Wed 21/Dec/11 12:01pm

Used to get discounts in the equestrian shops where I was a regular....
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Wed 21/Dec/11 12:09pm

When I worked in retail (when I did my apprenticeship we had a retail aspect) if someone had asked for a discount we would’ve given them some $ off. We were happy to make the sale. No one did though :eh:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 6 years 1 month

Postby cruiser on Wed 21/Dec/11 12:16pm

not specific to bikeshops really, it's to do with type of relationships some retailers create with punters, therefore it can become the benchmark* standard in an aspect of an industry. i.e local, personalised retailers of high-value/ high service-oriented gear.

*between other outlet prices and other cyclist's relationships with their LBS. A discount from a bikeshop has come to mean "we value you as a friend of our shop" and by inference no discount = you don't mean much to us.

but you already know this... :D
cruiser
Member for: 5 years 11 months

Postby Owen on Wed 21/Dec/11 12:24pm

Cool, good to know. I don't really spend that much money in other retail outlets so I was curious about discounting habits, just wondering how my current employer appeared to stack up against retail in general.
Owen
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby cruiser on Wed 21/Dec/11 12:30pm

personally I think it's a slippery slope to try take on the big players at their own game pricewise. It'd be like judo dude taking on sumo dude front on :crazy:
cruiser
Member for: 5 years 11 months

Postby wuffy on Wed 21/Dec/11 12:59pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:When I worked in retail (when I did my apprenticeship we had a retail aspect) if someone had asked for a discount we would’ve given them some $ off. We were happy to make the sale. No one did though :eh:

This.

Went into Sony recently to get some new headphones and they had the Xb700 ones I wanted on display for 200, but none in stock, so I asked if they had any xb1000 ones in stock that are normally 250, they said yes, then I asked if I could get them the cheaper, they said 210. All I did was ask.
wuffy
Member for: 5 years 6 months

Postby danose on Wed 21/Dec/11 1:09pm

wuffy wrote:Went into Sony recently to get some new headphones and they had the Xb700 ones I wanted on display for 200, but none in stock, so I asked if they had any xb1000 ones in stock that are normally 250, they said yes, then I asked if I could get them the cheaper, they said 210. All I did was ask.

they were probably just glad to finally shift them - really they should have paid you to take them off their hands

you should have just got sennheisers and been done :satan:
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"

Postby Luke__ on Wed 21/Dec/11 1:14pm

I have no idea what they are like but a guy I worked with used to get his high-end Santa Cruz sorted there and said they were gruff but did a good job. As long as you are certain the job is mint you can forgive a bit of gruff I guess. I'm lucky enough to have a bike store that know my four bikes pretty well and I can text my mechanic whenever I have a query AND he's a top bloke.
Luke__
Member for: 4 years 0 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 21/Dec/11 1:21pm

danose wrote:
wuffy wrote:Went into Sony recently to get some new headphones and they had the Xb700 ones I wanted on display for 200, but none in stock, so I asked if they had any xb1000 ones in stock that are normally 250, they said yes, then I asked if I could get them the cheaper, they said 210. All I did was ask.

they were probably just glad to finally shift them - really they should have paid you to take them off their hands

AKG's FTW
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby danose on Wed 21/Dec/11 1:25pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
danose wrote:

AKG's FTW

but AKG don't have any $2500 headphones - so they can't be as good
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"

Canterbury | Christchurch | Cycling | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts