Back On The Horse - Winter N-duro #1

Postby Cabin on Wed 11/Jul/12 1:00am

High time we got back into some MTB racing, so having the first round of the winter N-Duro series on our doorstep was as good of an excuse as any. We are both pretty early in our attempts to re-build the training bases, having had a good break since 3D. However we have found over the years that races are a great way to give you a kick in the pants and often re-invigorate the motivation.

Feeling my ribs following a moto crash last week, I was a wee bit soft and took the mid course option. Only 30 something km but with over 1000m climbing it wasn't the easiest ride. I took the win (as I probably should have), but importantly it allowed me to just ride a solid tempo on my own and not smash myself too much.

Nic on the other hand "manned up" and raced the long course. Was riding pretty strongly, but unfortunately was hampered a bit by a recurrance of some vision "challenges". Rolled through the 2nd half of the ride for a strong finish while Olympian bound Karen Hanlen dissapeared to threaten the top 10 boys. Great to see a good turnout, and huge congrats to new event owner Ra who put on all sorts of cool touches. Lollies, Cupcakes, and hot soup provided at the finish. Mean Maori Mean. Can't wait for the next one.

On a sidenote I was really disappointed when I heard of enquiries directed towards the winner of one of the events. Long story short, but some felt the winning rider must have cheated, and the allegations were based on complainants having never heard of them. To me that was really disappointing news. Purely because it showed a real lack of respect, and even a hint of arrogance to follow that line of thinking.

As athletes at any level we don’t have to be friends with everyone we line up against. Hell, we don’t even need to like everyone. But our sport (and any sport) is based on a mutual respect and appreciation of others efforts. The success of our sport depends on this. As a sponsor I would demand no less from my athletes. So no matter whom you are – athlete, friend, parent, sponsor, or random sideline supporter.... think long and hard about anything you may say. Trust the efforts you put in yourself, and above all respect that of others.

Link to original article: http://nicandcabin.blogspot.com/2012/07 ... uro-1.html
Sourced from RSS Feed: http://nicandcabin.blogspot.com/feeds/p ... lt?alt=rss
Original Published: 11:25am Tuesday, 10th July 2012 - NZST
Last edited by Cabin on Wed 11/Jul/12 1:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cabin
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Re: Back On The Horse - Winter N-duro #1

Postby tcr on Wed 11/Jul/12 7:29am

Was a good event for sure.

Course was brutal though! Some uncertainty of the distance - some saying the 42km was closer to 50km...
tcr
Member for: 7 years 0 months

Postby cruiser on Wed 11/Jul/12 8:28am

Sidenote or sideswipe? Was the 2nd part really necessary to be so direct at the person involved? It's a great point, but surely there's a better, more general way to say it isn't there?

Wrongly assumptive of the rider and parents too. Competitive hell yes; unaware of wider MTB racers yep - she's a young Jaffa who can't afford trips to every race there is; arrogant, not even - she's a well-natured young girl.
cruiser
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Wed 11/Jul/12 8:33am

Nice one Cabin - the winter series is always a good hitout, and a great way to keep some motivation during the cold months :cool:

cruiser wrote:Sidenote or sideswipe? Was the 2nd part really necessary to be so direct at the person involved? there's a better, more general way to say it isn't there?

Wrongly assumptive of the rider and parents too. Competitive hell yes, unaware of wider MTB racers yep - she's a young Jaffa who can't afford trips to every race there is, arrogant definitely not.

Uh... lodging a protest just because you're slow isn't on, irrespective of where you're from, who your parents are or how old you are - that is bullshit.

Directing it at the person involved is spot on - how else will they get the message? From the sounds of it they'd do well to pull their head out of their arse.

Cruiser, how you can be so anti-PC in some of your posts then come out and spout something like "there's a better, more general way to say it isn't there?" is so ridiculous it's almost funny. I'm sure if you didn't know the person involved you wouldn't give two shits.

edit: a popular internet search engine confirms the rider in question is on the same PRO TEAM as Cruiser's son :rolleyes:
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Postby cruiser on Wed 11/Jul/12 8:47am

The reason I'm saying this is coz no one else has probably would. A balancing point of view...
cruiser

Postby tcr on Wed 11/Jul/12 8:59am

If I was going to lodge a protest it would be with the course designer. And Macpac, for half my food falling out.
tcr
Member for: 7 years 0 months

Postby .I. on Wed 11/Jul/12 3:02pm

Dr. Fuentes wrote:Nice one Cabin - the winter series is always a good hitout, and a great way to keep some motivation during the cold months :cool:

cruiser wrote:Sidenote or sideswipe? Was the 2nd part really necessary to be so direct at the person involved? there's a better, more general way to say it isn't there?

Wrongly assumptive of the rider and parents too. Competitive hell yes, unaware of wider MTB racers yep - she's a young Jaffa who can't afford trips to every race there is, arrogant definitely not.

Uh... lodging a protest just because you're slow isn't on, irrespective of where you're from, who your parents are or how old you are - that is bullshit.

Directing it at the person involved is spot on - how else will they get the message? From the sounds of it they'd do well to pull their head out of their arse.

Apparently the rider had nothing to do with it...so no its not spot on :hmmm:

oh and notice someone has done some editing........ :paranoid:
.I.
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby Cabin on Wed 11/Jul/12 3:36pm

Edit has indeed been made after learning the rider didn't complain - but it was supporters that did. As such I have apologised to the individual (whom I never named in the first place).

That however does not change the fact that a complaint was made that was entirely unjustified and smacked of poor sportsmanship. I have seen similar things numerous times in the past and it dissapoints me just as much now as it did on those ocassions. As such I have kept my feelings in my blog: which you may note is my personal blog, that Vorb happens to pick up. I don't go out of my way to post things here. Instead place my thoughts on my website, that people choose to read (or not).

I would love to see anyone involved in any Junior Development initiative (whether that be a sponsor driven team, or a club program) grasp the opportunity to develop the people... determined, respectful, positive ambassadors. Unfortunately situations often arise where quite the opposite happens as ego's are pumped up.

Hence my motivation to highlight the issue that arose. It is a chance to learn lessons and progress athlete development in a positive way. My thoughts and opinions that should not reflect in any way on the event itself.

Ride hard. Race hard. Be respectful.
Cabin
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby cruiser on Wed 11/Jul/12 5:04pm

chur
cruiser

Postby Oli on Wed 11/Jul/12 6:26pm

.I. wrote:
How come all your posts are just moronic snipes from the sidelines? Do you ever have anything real to offer up, or do you just sit there waiting for your chance to nitpick like this when you know jack shit?
Oli
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby .I. on Wed 11/Jul/12 7:05pm

Oli wrote:
.I. wrote:
How come all your posts are just moronic snipes from the sidelines? Do you ever have anything real to offer up, or do you just sit there waiting for your chance to nitpick like this when you know jack shit?
do you want to borrow a file?
.I.
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Wed 11/Jul/12 7:16pm

Oli wrote:
.I. wrote:

Don't worry Oli, he's just some wannabe trying to take people down to his level. Jeez, he's not even man enough to sign private messages with his own name, preferring to stand behind the supposed anonymity of his username. :rolleyes:

//---------------

Cabin, good on you for editing your original post - I stand by my comments. Directing criticism at the person involved is spot on. In this case, that person (or people) are whoever made the complaint/protest, and whether that is the rider or the supporters doesn't change the fact it's a shitty thing to do.
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Postby Bryn13 on Thu 12/Jul/12 10:51am

Good report on the ride and great that you edited the original post (blog) as more information came in. I agree that the actions of whomever complained were out of line. However i would feel sorry for the young rider involved if they weren't actively involved in laying the complaint. I have seen it in other sports where supporters and parents start living vicariously through the achievements of juniors and will do some seriously weird stuff on behalf of the junior as the feel they know best.

Hopefully this will be a one off for that rider and their supporters as it does no-one any good when stuff like this starts flying round at events.
Bryn13
Member for: 6 years 4 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Multisport | The Adventures of Nic + Cabin | Vogs - Latest Posts