Autumn Coesus Mission

Postby Brokendown on Fri 7/May/10 10:46am

New to VORB, and only just getting back into my biking after a long lay off. I have moved to the West Coast and want to go bust a nut on the Croesus before winter and the snow set in. Just looking for any info about what to expect and if its good to ride at this time of year.

Cheers
Brokendown
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Re: Autumn Coesus Mission

Postby Trail on Fri 7/May/10 10:53am

Great to ride at any time of the year (although if there is too much snow on the top it makes it very hard work!!).

Couple of blog posts about it over here
http://www.paulpetch.com/2009/04/14/mou ... 09-part-1/
http://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com ... d-croesus/

The track surface is stone for a lot of the way, and the constant rain of the west coast means the rocks are washed free of moss or lichen and so fine to ride in any weather.

It is not a smooth track, so be prepared to maybe walk a few sections and have some technical riding skills with you as it is not groomed track. It is a super nice ride and one of my favourites tho.
Trail
User avatar
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Re: Autumn Coesus Mission

Postby AdamMTB on Fri 7/May/10 11:02am

Where have you moved to Brokendown?

Quite a number of Coasters keen on Mountain Biking. Check out www.bullermtb.com a number of us did the Croesus track a couple of weeks ago. Even after a spat of wet weather and a drizzly day it was a good ride.

Plenty of good rides around!
AdamMTB
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Re: Autumn Coesus Mission

Postby Brokendown on Fri 7/May/10 11:09am

Trail wrote:Great to ride at any time of the year (although if there is too much snow on the top it makes it very hard work!!).

Couple of blog posts about it over here
http://www.paulpetch.com/2009/04/14/mou ... 09-part-1/
http://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com ... d-croesus/

The track surface is stone for a lot of the way, and the constant rain of the west coast means the rocks are washed free of moss or lichen and so fine to ride in any weather.

It is not a smooth track, so be prepared to maybe walk a few sections and have some technical riding skills with you as it is not groomed track. It is a super nice ride and one of my favourites tho.


Cheers for that looks really sweet guess i better pick a day and get out there
Brokendown
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Re: Autumn Coesus Mission

Postby Brokendown on Fri 7/May/10 11:15am

AdamMTB wrote:Where have you moved to Brokendown?

Quite a number of Coasters keen on Mountain Biking. Check out http://www.bullermtb.com a number of us did the Croesus track a couple of weeks ago. Even after a spat of wet weather and a drizzly day it was a good ride.

Plenty of good rides around!


I've moved to Kotuku just out of Greymouth got some massive forestry blocks on my doorstep to explore but have been looking for some single track to spice things up a bit I know its out there just trying to find it. Thanks for the Buller link looks like theres some good riding up that way.
Brokendown
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Re: Autumn Coesus Mission

Postby AdamMTB on Fri 7/May/10 11:46am

You've got the Westland Mountain Bike Club down your way http://www.westlandmtbclub.co.nz/

Send me a PM or pop a post on our forum if you're ever keen on join in on a ride, we ride somewhere every weekend.

There will defiantly be Kirwans/Creosus rides coming up in the future. You have to do these rides in groups and should be taking a PLB.
AdamMTB
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Re: Autumn Coesus Mission

Postby Trail on Fri 7/May/10 12:09pm

AdamMTB wrote:
You have to do these rides in groups and should be taking a PLB.


Otherwise known as the "Big red going home in a helicopter button" :lol:

Expensive, but nice option to have. Probably currently carried by less than 1 in every 1000 people who bike on outback trails like the Croesus and Kirwans (unless you happen to belong to the Westland Mtb club by the sound of things).
Trail
User avatar
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Re: Autumn Coesus Mission

Postby AdamMTB on Fri 7/May/10 12:25pm

I'm not part of the club, I'm lucky to have access to them through my work. I also ride with people who are apart of SAR, would be irresponsible of us to ride without "basic" emergancy devices. You're expected to carry them if you tramped and you're more prone to injury riding than you are tramping. You're a long way from mobile phone reception if someone brakes a body and you're going to want to hope you can give a pilot good directions without GPS coordinates ;)
AdamMTB
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Re: Autumn Coesus Mission

Postby Trail on Fri 7/May/10 1:07pm

Oh I know they are good things, and I have previously been involved with SAR.

I tramp in some pretty out of the way places as well, and have not yet been able to bring myself to stump up the cash for one. Half the trouble is they keep changing the standard, and so if I had shelled out cash for one a couple of years back it would now be obsolete. I probably really should just go get one at some stage... trouble is that $500 is equal to some nice bike bling :D
Trail
User avatar
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Re: Autumn Coesus Mission

Postby DogsBollocks on Fri 7/May/10 1:10pm

Brokendown wrote:
AdamMTB wrote:Where have you moved to Brokendown?

Quite a number of Coasters keen on Mountain Biking. Check out http://www.bullermtb.com a number of us did the Croesus track a couple of weeks ago. Even after a spat of wet weather and a drizzly day it was a good ride.

Plenty of good rides around!


I've moved to Kotuku just out of Greymouth got some massive forestry blocks on my doorstep to explore but have been looking for some single track to spice things up a bit I know its out there just trying to find it. Thanks for the Buller link looks like theres some good riding up that way.


Kotuku ! Jebus, which house ?
DogsBollocks
User avatar
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Re: Autumn Coesus Mission

Postby AdamMTB on Fri 7/May/10 1:12pm

Trail wrote:Oh I know they are good things, and I have previously been involved with SAR.

I tramp in some pretty out of the way places as well, and have not yet been able to bring myself to stump up the cash for one. Half the trouble is they keep changing the standard, and so if I had shelled out cash for one a couple of years back it would now be obsolete. I probably really should just go get one at some stage... trouble is that $500 is equal to some nice bike bling :D


Haha, love the priorities ;)
AdamMTB
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Re: Autumn Coesus Mission

Postby snr_merv on Fri 7/May/10 3:12pm

We left it a bit late in the season last year, but it was still aweosme, the top part out of the tree line was all snow, couldn't see the lose rocks on the trail underneath it, just had to stay loose!
croesus.jpg
snr_merv
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: Autumn Coesus Mission

Postby G on Fri 7/May/10 3:21pm

Hey

I rode with a bunch of mates a couple of years ago over Easter weekend. What an amazing ride!!! Not overly technical in a small stretch but when it a continuous mildly techie climb for a couple of hours it soon wears you down. The hut is awesome with great views over the valley etc. The down is more than awesome and requires a fully to really enjoy it. My Reign was mint for the job.
Not sure what effect snow would have on it but I guess if you went soon before too much snow came in then it’d be wicked.

Enjoy and I look forward to seeing pics posted up here

Cheers
G
G
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Re: Autumn Coesus Mission

Postby Brokendown on Fri 7/May/10 6:34pm

DogsBollocks wrote:
Brokendown wrote:
AdamMTB wrote:Where have you moved to Brokendown?

Quite a number of Coasters keen on Mountain Biking. Check out http://www.bullermtb.com a number of us did the Croesus track a couple of weeks ago. Even after a spat of wet weather and a drizzly day it was a good ride.

Plenty of good rides around!


I've moved to Kotuku just out of Greymouth got some massive forestry blocks on my doorstep to explore but have been looking for some single track to spice things up a bit I know its out there just trying to find it. Thanks for the Buller link looks like theres some good riding up that way.


Kotuku ! Jebus, which house ?



Grey house behind some trees on Blair Rd Just down from the new house thats been Built
Brokendown
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Re: Autumn Coesus Mission

Postby Trail on Fri 7/May/10 6:44pm

G wrote:Hey

The down is more than awesome and requires a fully to really enjoy it.


Nah, you are dreaming G... I know a number of people who have loved that descent on hardtails ;)
Trail
User avatar
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Cycling | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Trail Riding | West Coast - Latest Posts

Who is online

52 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot] and 51 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit