Re: Auckland, Where To Live And Ride?

Postby trancemaster on Wed 7/Jan/15 2:01pm

Trail wrote:Anyone offering to take me on a tour of the Riverhead trails? Recently moved to Akld and would be good to have a local to show me the way!

Currently job hunting... which means my riding time is super flexible :D

Usually riding a 5 - 6 inch travel trail bike

~ join PCBC, AkMtBC , see club rides there ...

avoid RH in wet weather there, unlike some complainers, ride the north facing cut blocks first after any rain
explore !

woodhill the best for mid winter riding, best after rain.

Waitawa a goody
trancemaster
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby phippsicle on Thu 8/Jan/15 8:54am

Sims wrote:The most popular mountain biking spot is Woodhill "bike park". However this is remarkably shit for the $7 [edit: Its now $8] you pay

Couldn't have said it better myself. Unless you want to XC slog it out in 3inches of soft sand, only go to Woodhill in the depths of winter... even then it has no flow.

Sims wrote:The final stop on our leg is 440 mountain bike park. This is a new development with purpose built shuttle trails and an old south star bus. Great riding if you don't mind playing $40 for 6 up lifts.

So the same price as 6 uplifts in Rotorua? While the trails are different, you don't have to drive 2.5hrs to get to 440. I live 25min from Woodhill, 15min from Riverhead, and would drive the 1hr10min to 440 in a heartbeat over both those spots. WCRC is free and good for the odd blat, but 440 is where the flow is at ;)

It's a toss up between a morning at 440, or a day trip to Vegas, for me :D My 2c...
phippsicle
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby tricky on Thu 8/Jan/15 9:20am

Trail wrote:Anyone offering to take me on a tour of the Riverhead trails? Recently moved to Akld and would be good to have a local to show me the way!

Currently job hunting... which means my riding time is super flexible :D

Usually riding a 5 - 6 inch travel trail bike

I'd guess you'd vaguely know Grant Singleton from CHCH days Zane - you've got a few friends in common at least. Don't know if he's a Vorber, but he's been in AK for the last couple of years and is out on his bike regularly. PM me if you need a contact.

The PCBC crew (Maratei/Whitford) are a good bunch, their trails have taken a bit of a hammering in the last year due to logging, but they're actively rebuilding and worth checking out, particularly if you ended up living on the South side of AK and getting through to Woodhill/Riverhead is a bit of a chore.
tricky
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby Trail on Fri 9/Jan/15 12:59pm

Yes. Was talking to Grant before I came up. I should hook up with him!

Currently in Grafton so getting south to Whitford etc is about the same as getting out Riverhead...

I am keen to explore the PCBC tracks and did see that Maraetai was getting its fair share of logging at the moment. Looks like Tim Hunter has been doing a bit of building down that way which I am keen to have a look at too.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby keeweenz on Fri 9/Jan/15 1:15pm

I have just moved back to Auckland from Sydney and while the trails aren't the most accessible there is a little dotted around the place.

I too wouldn't mind getting shown around Riverhead etc as it has been many many years since I have been there. Ive seen the map so perhaps a few of us could get together and give it a crack?

Ive done a few laps and Woodhill and it isn't terrible so if somebody is new to Auckland and wants me to show them around I am happy to do so but other than that I haven't ventured too far just yet.. again job and car hunting

Cheers!
keeweenz
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Postby Trail on Fri 9/Jan/15 2:16pm

Yep. If you want someone to go get lost in Riverhead with drop me a line :)

If you are in a halfway house halfway down dominion road then you are not too far around the corner from me... but then again you may just be a Muttonbirds fan.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby mbl77 on Mon 12/Jan/15 11:23am

Trail wrote:I am keen to explore the PCBC tracks and did see that Maraetai was getting its fair share of logging at the moment. Looks like Tim Hunter has been doing a bit of building down that way which I am keen to have a look at too.

Maraetai won't be terribly exciting for the next few months while it goes through a track re-building phase. Whitford Forest, on the other hand, is superb at the moment. New trails were built over winter, and now that everything is dry its probably the best technical trail-riding in Auckland. I'm out there often, so hit me up if you want a little tour.
mbl77
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby xangodango on Sat 11/Apr/15 9:35am

There are lots of green bits on the north shore (hilly southern and western ends) .. anyone know the situation with trail building i.e. are the authorities receptive to the idea?
xangodango
Member for: 6 years 6 months

Auckland Region | New Zealand | Regions | Upper North Island - Latest Posts