Auckland Trails?

Postby mbl77 on Mon 9/Sep/13 7:31pm

Hi all, I'm moving to Auckland (from South Africa) in January and I'm relatively flexible as to which part of Auckland I can live in. I'm used to having aout 80km of trails within 20mins drive of my house, so if I can, I'd like to choose where I stay based on close proximity to decent riding.

Any suggestions on which parts of Auckland I should consider (or not)?

Thanks.

PS. Long-term I'll be working on persuading my wife that we should move to somewhere like Rotorua or Nelson, but until then I still need to get my regular fix.
mbl77
User avatarMedal
Member for: 4 years 6 months

Re: Auckland Trails?

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 9/Sep/13 7:49pm

yeah, like, definitely not Auckland then...

Why not Chch or Welly??
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby mbl77 on Mon 9/Sep/13 7:52pm

swtchbckr wrote:Why not Chch or Welly??

Unfortunately that's an argument I lost. We've got some relatives in Akl, so the wife wants to be nearby while we get settled.
mbl77
User avatarMedal

Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby foremannz on Mon 9/Sep/13 10:22pm

Coming from Rotorua, without a doubt Rotorua would be my preferance if you can find a suitable job - for me, my work direction brought be to Auckland because I could no longer advance in my field in Rotorua (IT).
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby QWERTYNZ on Mon 9/Sep/13 10:25pm

West Auckland - for proximity to Woodhill forest (bikeparks.co.nz) and Riverhead forest. Or South/East Auckland for proximity to Whitford/Maretai Forest (http://pcbc.co.nz/) Totara park. The central city and surrounding suburbs will be a 45+min drive from most trails, while parts further out from the CBD may be 20-30mins drive.

While the park Colin posted is about a 40 min drive from East or South Auckland.
QWERTYNZ
Member for: 6 years 7 months

Postby OneTrackMind on Tue 10/Sep/13 8:31am

As others have said, West ... Woodhill/Riverhead are then close. Between them there are a lot of trails to ride there. I've not seen any figures, but I'd guess that Woodhill + Riverhead have much more km's of trails than Whitford, Maraetai, Hunua and Totara Park combined. But again, I haven't actually seen figures for this. I would guess it's fair to say that there are a pretty large number of riders, to whom Woodhill is the main place they ride, and seem to ride there very regularly without feeling the need to venture further often.

Out East, Whitford etc are good (when dry-ish), but get pretty muddy in winter. Totara park is fun for a close to home ride too. Whitford/Riverhead, you go to them and can do a good half day's riding ... Totora Park, Whitford etc, you go for an hour or two of riding at most.

Alternatively, if you're South, then Rotorua gets down to a two hour drive ... Just. You could ride Totora Park, Hunua and Whitford for week night rides, then do a day trip to Rotorua on the weekends.

However, saying all this, Auckland traffic for commuting can be a nightmare, and being close to riding out West and having to drive to South/East Auckland for work everyday, would grow old very quickly.

Full disclosure: I lived out East mostly (now overseas though). When home, I prefer a 2.5 hour drive to Rotorua to a 1 hour drive to Woodhill (which becomes a 90min + drive in traffic) ... Rotorua trails are completely world class, and for me they're worth the extra effort. I have ridden Whitford a fair bit, and enjoy it ... but it's always been a place I go to get a little fix before I make it to somewhere like Rotorua ... if you know what I mean.
OneTrackMind

Postby briiii on Tue 10/Sep/13 8:43am

Even though some people would consider Woodhill boring and it is quite "tame" mountain biking it's a really good trail network. You can reliably knock out 2 to 3 hours of riding each time you go without too much repetition. You will ride MOST of the trails on offer in that time though. Riverhead is good when it's dry for a bit of a change. I would recommend living Albany (20 mins), Greenhithe/Whenuapai (only 15 mins), Hobsonville (Point) or even Glenfield (last resort about 30 mins drive out to Woodhill in easy traffic). Otherwise I second your idea of moving to Nelson, that's what we did from Auckland and no regrets.
briiii
"I'm a bikesexual"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby edoubled on Tue 10/Sep/13 10:44am

I'd suggest you look out east. That way you have Whitford, Maraetai, Totara Park, the new Gravity 440 and Hunua all within easy reach. Plus you're that bit closer to the Bombay Hills when you want to escape the city.

If you think you'll be frequenting Woodhill (as the majority of Auckland riders seem to) then head west or north. Riverhead's the other option that way but most folk save it for summer because of the mud.

Lots of trail information on the Auckland MTB Club website: http://aucklandmtb.co.nz/trails/quick-links/
edoubled
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby t6t8t6t8 on Tue 10/Sep/13 12:35pm

From time to time I read of the dissatisfaction with the Service of Level, to use a council term, of mtb facilities in the Auckland Region. Yet Auckland has a fair number of Regional Parks etc so where have we gone worry? So what are these people who blog and making smart ass comments really doing about it or achieving? Are some emailing, ring, writing to their Local Board Members and Councillors to express their desire to be hear, have funding and land be made available for mtb? Are some attending working bees? Are they making submissions to Reserve Management Plans etc etc. I do.

Here’s one example of the what we should be pushing back against. Cows, possums and dogs have far greater rights than mtbers do in the Waitakere Regional Park - where mtb is ‘prohibited’! The Reserve Management Plan isn’t up for review until 2020! Way to go Councillor Coney. What’s required is to convince Auckland Council (from the Local Boards up) that there are areas where mtb isn’t going to have an adverse effect on sensitive indigenous biodiversity (maybe where cows graze now) and that the Reserve Management Plan should be reviewed to allow mtb in such specific areas. There’s tons and tons of possibilities like this throughout the region.

Mbl77 it’s true, you are not moving to mtb mecca. However, perhaps you’ll be someone who’ll help make the current situation better.
t6t8t6t8
Member for: 4 years 1 month

Postby R+P+K on Tue 10/Sep/13 12:57pm

t6t8t6t8 wrote:Mbl77 it’s true, you are not moving to mtb mecca. However, perhaps you’ll be someone who’ll help make the current situation better.

Yeah, coz the rest of us are a bunch of lazy fucks.
R+P+K
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby OneTrackMind on Tue 10/Sep/13 1:26pm

As far as increasing mtb access/trails near to Auckland;

1) the council seem to put in trails more aimed at older riders ... Thinking Beachlands, Duda's Point etc ...
2) in speaking to the rangers at Hunua on a working bee on the xc trail there, they seemed (this is a while back now) very very very keen to have the trail used more, and then adding facilities/trails etc. It just seemed that they felt the trail(s) were hardly used there, so why build more trails if the current one sees less than a dozen riders on a Saturday?
3) the Hunua's and Waitakere's are both the same 'level' of park right? how did they get the XC and two downhill trails into the Hunuas back in the 90's? I can see now with all the Kauri die back going on in the Waitakere's, that it'll be even harder to get legal mtb trails in their in the future.
4) auckland clubs/individuals built the Woodhill trails, then in a time of the Auckland clubs being low on membership/support and the unfortunate spate of accidents at Woodhill, we lost our free trails to BikeParks. I don't think that would happen at Makara or Whakarewarewa.

Where I am now, there are hundreds of miles of dirt roads to mtb on, but all the single track is illegal ... with rangers wandering around who can fine you $400. So Auckland still has it better than many places (just not better than Rotorua, Chch, Welly etc).
OneTrackMind

Postby foremannz on Tue 10/Sep/13 2:16pm

OneTrackMind wrote:... we lost our free trails to BikeParks. I don't think that would happen at Makara or Whakarewarewa.

Rotorua is a tourist town, and one of the drawcards for tourists is the mountainbike tracks - if this were to scare people away with an unreasonable charge, there would be alot of industries that would fight it.
Last edited by foremannz on Tue 10/Sep/13 3:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby briiii on Tue 10/Sep/13 2:35pm

t6t8t6t8 wrote:From time to time I read of the dissatisfaction with the Service of Level, to use a council term, of mtb facilities in the Auckland Region. Yet Auckland has a fair number of Regional Parks etc so where have we gone worry? So what are these people who blog and making smart ass comments really doing about it or achieving? Are some emailing, ring, writing to their Local Board Members and Councillors to express their desire to be hear, have funding and land be made available for mtb? Are some attending working bees? Are they making submissions to Reserve Management Plans etc etc. I do.

Here’s one example of the what we should be pushing back against. Cows, possums and dogs have far greater rights than mtbers do in the Waitakere Regional Park - where mtb is ‘prohibited’! The Reserve Management Plan isn’t up for review until 2020! Way to go Councillor Coney. What’s required is to convince Auckland Council (from the Local Boards up) that there are areas where mtb isn’t going to have an adverse effect on sensitive indigenous biodiversity (maybe where cows graze now) and that the Reserve Management Plan should be reviewed to allow mtb in such specific areas. There’s tons and tons of possibilities like this throughout the region.

Mbl77 it’s true, you are not moving to mtb mecca. However, perhaps you’ll be someone who’ll help make the current situation better.

Nobody here was bashing Auckland's mountain biking. It's not untrue or offensive to point out that there are better locations than Auckland for riding bikes, just a simple fact. Auckland doesn't need mountain biking to draw people in, it's the biggest city in the country and has plenty of other stuff going for it. Good troll though.
briiii
"I'm a bikesexual"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby mbl77 on Tue 10/Sep/13 2:57pm

Some great ideas here, thanks. I look forward to meeting some of you out on the trails next year.

Cheers
mbl77
User avatarMedal

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts