Re: Auckland Driving Has Turned To Shit.

Postby scatter on Tue 30/Aug/16 12:16pm

AgrAde wrote:As a regular traveller to Timaru I fucking hate the driving here.

I've driven to Invercargill a couple of times this year. The stretch between Chch and Timmers IS. THE. WORST.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby dwgknz on Tue 30/Aug/16 12:25pm

scatter wrote:

I've driven to Invercargill a couple of times this year. The stretch between Chch and Timmers IS. THE. WORST.

I don't get that, there's 1 turn, a couple of bridges, lots of clear view ahead and plenty of passing lanes. No reason to be a dick on roads like that. Well, unless you worked for NZTA like my last job and had to drive everywhere at 95km/h!
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby scatter on Tue 30/Aug/16 12:31pm

dwgknz wrote:
scatter wrote:

I don't get that, there's 1 turn, a couple of bridges, lots of clear view ahead and plenty of passing lanes. No reason to be a dick on roads like that. Well, unless you worked for NZTA like my last job and had to drive everywhere at 95km/h!

Exactly. It's freaking stupid.

The next time I need to go to Invercargill, I'm tempted to fly to Dunedin and pick up a rental car. Love the drive from Clinton to Mataura :love:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Conners on Tue 30/Aug/16 9:20pm

dwgknz wrote:
scatter wrote:

Yep, drive this most weeks - cruise control is my friend by fucks me right off when I have to disengage it at the end of a passing lane because some fucker who had to pass me then also had to slow down to 90...
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby 13daza on Tue 30/Aug/16 9:21pm

We lived in Auckland a few years back ,even then peoples driving was shit in fact there isn't a word that describes turds that is strong enough to describe the failures of some idiots driving when I lived there, my wife would drive most everywhere thusly protecting the multitude of idiots from my wrath (I have been known to be impatient and perhaps a little intolerant of dumbarsedness )and quite possibly her sanity as well luckily we lived in an apartment upstairs from my workshop so I bounced down a flight of stairs about ten minutes before opening up in the morning and rarely drove in rush hours .My wife on the other hand spent over two hours a day just travelling the 16 km to and from her work (providing the traffic was good) she hated it ,she was grumpy ,thus I was grumpy ..... we moved .
When we moved to Masterton the locals would complain about how bad the traffic was when they had to sit at the roundabout for more than thirty seconds during the five o'clock rush (which lasts about ten minutes) we would laugh and laugh during our four km "rush hour" commutes (which takes about six minutes in heavy traffic) now we go to Auckland to visit friends and its frankly terrifying just getting to West Auckland on the motorway ,I sure as hell wouldn't even contemplate cycling anywhere.
Strangely Wellington traffic doesn't seem as bad as Auckland's despite the somewhat random set up of the network I don't think the drivers in Wellington are as aggressive or perhaps just not in such a rush
13daza
Member for: 3 years 7 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 30/Aug/16 11:02pm

dwgknz wrote:
scatter wrote:

People still suck at it, especially the passing lanes where everyone speeds up to 110 from 95 and one car gets past. I use cruise control so people that can't drive at a steady speed or use their brakes for no reason get me well riled.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby EoinC on Wed 31/Aug/16 2:05pm

AgrAde wrote:
dwgknz wrote:
scatter wrote:

People still suck at it, especially the passing lanes where everyone speeds up to 110 from 95 and one car gets past. I use cruise control so people that can't drive at a steady speed or use their brakes for no reason get me well riled.

Perhaps their cruise controls are set at a different speed to yours. Google needs to stop this driverless crap and work on synchronised cruise controls.
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Postby Percy Pig on Wed 31/Aug/16 2:16pm

Passing lanes are for lolzy boosting, moar turbo's FTW!! :thumbsup:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby AgrAde on Wed 31/Aug/16 2:41pm

EoinC wrote:
AgrAde wrote:
dwgknz wrote:
scatter wrote:

Perhaps their cruise controls are set at a different speed to yours. Google needs to stop this driverless crap and work on synchronised cruise controls.

lots of cars now have a follow option for their cruise control which is pretty cool, but it makes for shit economy if the person in front of you is bouncing between 90 and 105 because they can't keep their foot in the right place on the throttle. I can always tell the people that use cruise control because I can come up behind them, reset my speed and then only have to adjust half a kmph up or down every 5-10 minutes or so after that. It's great.
AgrAde

Postby Sims on Thu 1/Sep/16 3:07pm

Personally i blame the weather - First day of spring this morn. Perfect weather = Lots of happy drivers. No near death experiences. And plenty of 'no sir, after you sir, no after you..."

A rainy morning turns Aucklanders into a bunch of A-grade ****s
Sims
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby AgrAde on Thu 1/Sep/16 3:39pm

What are you saying :(
AgrAde

Postby Sims on Thu 1/Sep/16 4:25pm

AgrAde wrote:What are you saying :(

I'm saying that we suffer from Metrological induced emotional dysmorphia. Or at least that would be the name of thesis.

"Meteorologically induced emotional dysmorphia, its affect on transport users limbic system and consequent behavioural shift"
Sims
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 1/Sep/16 4:29pm

I saw it
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby Conners on Thu 1/Sep/16 4:37pm

dwgknz wrote:I saw it

Me too.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts