Auckland Bike The Bays

Postby TheTrickster on Wed 28/Jan/09 10:37pm

Whats happened to Bike the Bays?

Looked at the site of the organisers and they already have the details up for Auckland Cycle Challenge or whatever its called, but no Bike the Bays.

Anyone know what the story is?
TheTrickster
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Auckland Bike The Bays

Postby chook on Wed 4/Feb/09 7:45am

The reason there is no Bike the Bays in Auckland is because Auckland City Council closed access to Tamaki Drive for events across the board> The unilateral decision was not limited to sport organisers but also music & Market organisers. There are still approx 4 sport events permitted on Tamaki Dr but these too have a limited life. Truely an unfortunate, and in my opinion, an unwise decision by ACC
chook
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby TheTrickster on Wed 4/Feb/09 9:17pm

When did they do this?
TheTrickster

Postby TheTrickster on Wed 4/Feb/09 9:19pm

Lemme guess, everybodies favourite troll Toni Miller had her grimy hands in that.
TheTrickster

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 4/Feb/09 9:21pm

cause the wankers who live there can't drive the 200m down to the cafe for a whole day!
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby chook on Thu 5/Feb/09 7:30am

The decision to can the event was made early last year very soon after btb 2008 and yes someof the decision was blamed on the community board. You also might be interrested to know that when the organisers tried to get a new venue to run the event, Auckland City pointed toward Manukau or North shore so it was clear that ACC were not interested in a large scale recreational bike event in their area!
chook

Postby TheTrickster on Thu 5/Feb/09 7:30pm

shmoodiver wrote:cause the wankers who live there can't drive the 200m down to the cafe for a whole day!

They probably wonder what those weird things are at the end of each leg is and how to use them correctly. Maybe they consider they're for nose picking.

chook wrote:The decision to can the event was made early last year very soon after btb 2008 and yes someof the decision was blamed on the community board. You also might be interrested to know that when the organisers tried to get a new venue to run the event, Auckland City pointed toward Manukau or North shore so it was clear that ACC were not interested in a large scale recreational bike event in their area!

Absolutely typical of ACC. So was this during Tricky Hubbard's watch was it? Ironic seeing he always went down there for his dirty photo op and then comes back and does that. Wanker.

Typical council though. Grrr.
TheTrickster

Postby chook on Sun 8/Feb/09 8:24am

No, actually, Hubbard was very supportive of BTB - always opening itand riding in it, however John Banks is anti has developed an anti cycling regime to block support ofcycling -in any form- in Auckland!
chook

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sun 8/Feb/09 7:07pm

chook wrote:No, actually, Hubbard was very supportive of BTB - always opening itand riding in it, however John Banks is anti has developed an anti cycling regime to block support ofcycling -in any form- in Auckland!

:( Did he? Does he? Where can one find more information about him having that attitude?
He says he's pro bus (whether he is or not) but I wouldn't have thought he was anti bike.

:angry: I must confess that I was angered by the D/heads who rode the general ride in the BTBs last year as a race and were speeding past children etc.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby TheTrickster on Sun 8/Feb/09 9:49pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
chook wrote:No, actually, Hubbard was very supportive of BTB - always opening itand riding in it, however John Banks is anti has developed an anti cycling regime to block support ofcycling -in any form- in Auckland!

:( Did he? Does he? Where can one find more information about him having that attitude?
He says he's pro bus (whether he is or not) but I wouldn't have thought he was anti bike.

:angry: I must confess that I was angered by the D/heads who rode the general ride in the BTBs last year as a race and were speeding past children etc.

Yeah, I've never heard of him being distinctly anti-bike. I thought Hubbard was in still this time last year, so hence why I thought it was during his mayoralty.

Flatty - same here. Seemed to be old guys on beaters mostly who were the worst, saw at least a couple cross the centreline charging past kids etc. Me and the flatty just sat there cruising at 25k. I'd already done the race anyway which we could do a decent speed in and not worry about crashing into little Johnny. Did see the after result of one of those kids who had been gifted a bike colliding with someone else on the steep downhill turn on to Cliff Rd though. Looked like the kid just went straight ahead and didn't hit the breaks. Ambo job by the looks too.
TheTrickster

Postby western-rider on Sun 29/Mar/09 2:58pm

how about this for a idea. auckland domain, closed of to traffic 2 times a year (once in spring, once in autium) then there are some cycle races organized for those days in the domain. you could have some sought of road race,and some cyclocross event. the way it could be put together would allow for events to be based on age/skill. even a test of strength for the single speed breed, by racing up the road that leads from stanley street to the domain, what do you think, would the ACC or ARC been keen to do this.
western-rider
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Auckland | Auckland Region | Cycle Commuting | Cycling | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Upper North Island - Latest Posts