Astrid Sells Le Race - A New Era?

Postby mfw on Tue 5/Aug/08 11:09am

So, what's the feeling, are riders still going to boycott Le Race?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Astrid Andersen:

Le Race Enters a New Era

I would like to announce to all who have been involved with Le Race that it has now been sold to Simon Hollander of Mainland Cycling. This was not an easy decision for me to make but I believe it was time for me to move on from Le Race and I sincerely believe someone of Simon’s skills will take Le Race to a new level. On a personal level, my life focus has changed as my partner has MND and I want to be able to dedicate more of my time to supporting him and his children as we travel this final journey together.

In the 10 years that I have run Le Race it has been very satisfying to see it build up with a strong reputation as a well-organised, exciting, demanding but rewarding event. Le Race is full of hundreds of stories of ordinary people who have seen the course as their ‘Everest’. They have trained hard, been supported by family and friends and their elation at the finish line is a fantastic testimony to their personal courage. I have been immensely privileged to have been a part of their journey.

For the many talented riders who have raced for line honours, Le Race has many fascinating stories of strategy, heartbreak and ultimate success. The honours board of the event is a reflection of the quality of the field that the event attracts.

Thank you all –sponsors, cyclists, volunteers, and supporters for being a part of the first ten years of Le Race. Race day has a very special atmosphere about it and I will miss it hugely.
mfw
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby Dazzle on Tue 5/Aug/08 11:10am

What is MND?
Dazzle
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby inzane on Tue 5/Aug/08 11:14am

inzane
"Ride better, ride faster"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby scatter on Tue 5/Aug/08 11:14am

Motor Neurone Disease
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Spokes on Tue 5/Aug/08 11:21am

So why were people boycotting the event?
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby mfw on Tue 5/Aug/08 12:58pm

Spokes wrote: So why were people boycotting the event?

Alleged profiteering
mfw
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby Spokes on Tue 5/Aug/08 1:19pm

mfw wrote:

Alleged profiteering

Oh, thats just the worst thing. People making money out of a business is so bad.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"

Postby CaptainCaveman on Tue 5/Aug/08 1:30pm

Because she refused to take any responsibility for her actions / ommisions as an organiser which many people believe contributed to the death of a competitor.
CaptainCaveman
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby istepinyards on Tue 5/Aug/08 1:30pm

Spokes wrote:
mfw wrote:

Alleged profiteering

Oh, thats just the worst thing. People making money out of a business is so bad.
To a point Spokes. I think it depends on the marketing of the event. People also want value out of a service they spend money on. Would your buisiness suffer if you sold bikes 10% higher than market value(even though you already do with Intense)and gave no support for that product
That is the biggest difference between Aus and NZ and America I have found.
If a person in America drives a Ferrari he is perceived as successful, but in Aus and NZ he must be charging to much.Although that analogy might not be relevant in this case
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby CaptainCaveman on Tue 5/Aug/08 1:32pm

Dazzle wrote: What is MND?

A horrible condition that sees live people trapped inside dead bodies.
CaptainCaveman

Postby CaptainCaveman on Tue 5/Aug/08 1:34pm

Spokes wrote:
mfw wrote:

Alleged profiteering

Its worth remembering that this used to be a 'free' amateur event before some guy got killed. Then Astrid started charging a shitload for the same thing.
CaptainCaveman

Postby Conners on Tue 5/Aug/08 1:50pm

Far out man, I take my hat off to anyone organising events in todays day and age. Not only do they have a million miles of red tape to cut through, they get bitched about by ungrateful entrants (or non-entrants) on teh interwebby.

The boycott was clearly not very effective judging by the number of entrants.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby Spokes on Tue 5/Aug/08 1:55pm

CaptainCaveman wrote:
Spokes wrote:
mfw wrote:

Alleged profiteering

Its worth remembering that this used to be a 'free' amateur event before some guy got killed. Then Astrid started charging a shitload for the same thing.

But in the past few years the legal hoops the organisers have to jump through is amazing. And you cant expect someone to do this for free.
Spokes

Postby Spokes on Tue 5/Aug/08 1:57pm

istepinyards wrote:
Spokes wrote:
mfw wrote:

Alleged profiteering

To a point Spokes. I think it depends on the marketing of the event. People also want value out of a service they spend money on. Would your buisiness suffer if you sold bikes 10% higher than market value(even though you already do with Intense)and gave no support for that product
That is the biggest difference between Aus and NZ and America I have found.
If a person in America drives a Ferrari he is perceived as successful, but in Aus and NZ he must be charging to much.Although that analogy might not be relevant in this case

The main point here Is that I dont know anything about this event, just what was posted above. So on that point I will shut up.

But I concur on the success thing. I have a buddy that drives an old car to his business as customers got shitty at him when he had a new car.
Spokes

Postby CaptainCaveman on Tue 5/Aug/08 2:40pm

Spokes wrote:
CaptainCaveman wrote:
Spokes wrote:
mfw wrote:

Alleged profiteering

But in the past few years the legal hoops the organisers have to jump through is amazing. And you cant expect someone to do this for free.

No-one expects it for free and no-one begrudged her anything for the first few years - it was very successful and people raved about it - then she got greeedy, an entrant got killed, and she handled the whole affair very badly - particularly by appearing to be trying to sidestep her responsibility by talk of appealing her conviction etc. Some years were simply ruined by the weather, but an increasingly large group of people came away feeling short-changed by the whole experience. Its a tragic tale really, but one she authored.
CaptainCaveman

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts