Re: Ashburton To Christchurch Cycle Race

Postby will_b on Sat 25/Jul/09 11:21am

Hop in the car, put in a favourite cd and drive the course, tis a good day for it.
will_b
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby Fergie on Sat 25/Jul/09 11:25am

False flat up to Methven. Very steep descent into the Gorge and and 1.5 km climb that is not too bad coming out, remember it goes in two sections. Then fast fun to the finish but this depends on what the wind is doing. Long 3-4 km straight run into the finish in Rolleston.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby stronginhim on Sat 25/Jul/09 11:41am

Cool. Well my theory is if I can ride le Race I can do anything. Thanks for that.

What the normal time for the race?
stronginhim
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Fergie on Sat 25/Jul/09 12:21pm

If you can do LeRace Ashburton - Christchurch will be a piece of cake. Just make sure you can lap well in a group of 8-12 riders, from the Gorge the groups start merging. Ave speeds can vary greatly and you go so much fasting riding in a bunch that is lapping off smoothly.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby stronginhim on Sat 25/Jul/09 1:15pm

will_b wrote:Hop in the car, put in a favourite cd and drive the course, tis a good day for it.

Yes, thats a good idea. Might have to do it in a week or two. :D
stronginhim

Postby stronginhim on Sat 25/Jul/09 1:18pm

Fergie wrote:If you can do LeRace Ashburton - Christchurch will be a piece of cake. Just make sure you can lap well in a group of 8-12 riders, from the Gorge the groups start merging. Ave speeds can vary greatly and you go so much fasting riding in a bunch that is lapping off smoothly.

Thanks for the good insight.
stronginhim

Postby DerrickN on Mon 27/Jul/09 10:10pm

stronginhim wrote:So does anyone know what the Terrain is like on the race. Thanks guys for the info. :)

Check out Map My Ride http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/new-zeala ... /331375113
Course is a long steady drag up from the start through Methven for the first 45km, then a fast downhill into Rakaia Gorge. What goes down must come up, so there is then the climb out of Rakaia Gorge. From here on in it is a steady downhill run to the finish which can be VERY fast in a Nor'Wester
DerrickN
"BikeNZ National Volunteer of the Year 2009"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts