Re: Around Brunner Report + Provisional Results

Postby roaringswine on Sun 19/Apr/09 8:00pm

It's a toughy this one. I had similar conversations with riders who were all frustrated at the very pedestrian pace in the first half of the race. The reality is that the recreational grade has a far broader range of abilities therefore a wider range of opinion on what constitutes a successful ride. The difficulty I have is how do you recruit enough similar minded people to form a brekaway that stands a chance of succeeding? Even though the pace was quite slow I believe you needed at least ten people to be strong enough to get away.
roaringswine
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby tony_11 on Sun 19/Apr/09 8:28pm

I agree that there there is a wide range of rider in the recreational category.. Ten to form a breakaway????? If you had some people that were willing to work hard and a had a good fitness and ability level four or five and you could put the hurt in....

Look at the Benchmark races for example. When you read the race reports the breakaway groups tend to be three or four riders.. Sometimes they are dragged back in but with a lot of effort from the guys in the peleton..
tony_11
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby nwood on Sun 19/Apr/09 9:20pm

I made the trip across and had a most enjoyable day!

Weather had been crap towards the end of the week but turned on a warm fine race day (made standing at the start line much more present). Woke up Sunday to some moderate rain. Luck was with us!

I started towards the back of the second wave and kept with some big but and disorganized bunches through the whole race. I'm sure the pace could have been a little quicker with better organization but you have to expect that with this type of Rec race.

Finished up in 3:43 which was significantly quicker than the previous two! Will be back again next year.
nwood
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby businesstime on Sun 19/Apr/09 10:06pm

Fergie wrote:Anne is a bit of a hammer.

Did anybody of note ride Brunner. So much for the NPS. Scotty McDonnell has his kids for 1 week on and trains 30min a day 1 week and 90mins a day the 2nd week. Sure he has some Euro experience and prior results but he shouldn't be placing 2nd in a NPS event.

Full credit to Shorty Allnut taking the win. I can think of several riders "of note" he beat. Mcdonnell being one, Horgan another. If the others could not be assed doing it then too bad.

At the end of the day a win is a win.
businesstime
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby noel_whiteside on Mon 20/Apr/09 7:39am

Ahad, join a club and get a racing licence. Round Bruner and those sort of events are Recreational. Your always going to get lots of people who are just happy to finish. If you come and ride some club events then everyone will be racing hard. You'll get a licence for the $95 it cost you to enter Bruner and then it's only $15 or $25 per race. If you are finishing in the front bunch at Bruner there will easily be a grade you will be able to race in at the weekends.
noel_whiteside
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby tony_11 on Mon 20/Apr/09 8:19am

I'm in agreement with you there Noel.. The way ahead is to get licensed and race the Pegasus races, which is the route I'm going to take.. Bit hesitant though as it will be a big step up..I was riding at Ruapuna in B Grade so hopefully should be ok.

Do Pegasus race through the Winter? Or is there a bit of a lull now until Spring. Just thinking of when would be the best time to get my license.
tony_11
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby pm on Mon 20/Apr/09 9:06am

interesting comments... i think these sorts of events need something between the elite and the rec grades for the riders with some legs who want to race (rather than just complete) but aren't up to elite level - eg club registered riders as apposed to national level registered in the elites and unregistered in the rec. give this group a seperate starting wave. not only would this mean that those who want it get a proper rec race but most of all from the organiser's pov there will be less mega bunches with all the associated crashes and traffic control issues.

its tempting to go into elite but that requires national registration (i think?) and means getting your legs seriously ripped off. it seems like quite a big step up from rec to elite - not sure whether it actually is but certainly the term "elite" indicates that it should be and puts people off, certainly when the big boys show up it is. the other option would be to encourage more upper level rec riders to go elite so at least you wouldn't be alone if you get dropped but then its not elite.
pm
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby RJM on Mon 20/Apr/09 9:20am

Beautiful place to ride - did myself over Xmas - not a soul on the Road and a sweet Southerly up my back for most of the ride.
Did anyone out there from Wellington go down for this ?
RJM
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby johnenthuse on Mon 20/Apr/09 11:32am

elpo wrote:Does anyone know what team Josie is going to ride for overseas??

She has a deal with hubcycling.com. Based in washington DC. Expenses covered and will have to win $$ to survive. Great opportunity for her to make next step up.
johnenthuse
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby johnenthuse on Mon 20/Apr/09 11:35am

Al_Bushman wrote:Good to see Mark Prutton up there in the results too after his recent injury concerns.

Yeah was good to see Marc up there after his recent injury problems! Thought he would be if he held on to bunch. He's off to the US to race for a team for two months over mid winter so hoping his recovery continues! he is riding CHC to ham this weekend - keen to defend titel he won last year.
johnenthuse

Postby noel_whiteside on Mon 20/Apr/09 11:38am

There are 3 more events before the club has a winter break. The full program of events is on http://www.pegasuscycling.co.nz Then the winter series starts for a couple of months. If you are riding B grade at Ruapuna you'll have no problems at club races. The grades go down to F. I ride C2 at Ruapuna and race D grade at the pegasus events. You might as well get a licence now. It's an anual licence so you don't save any money by waiting until after winter. There is a Beanchmark race on the same weekend as one of the winter series events. You'll need someone else to comfirm this, but I rekon you would be able to hang on allright in it if you are racing B grade at Ruapuna.
noel_whiteside
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby johnenthuse on Mon 20/Apr/09 11:40am

tony_11 wrote:So all in all not a race to tick the box for next year eh?

It is a great race/ride. A few of the stronger more experienced guys should have put the hammer down at 60km mark! It is well run and is a good circuit - just needs some more pressure on at the front of the field!
johnenthuse

Postby johnenthuse on Mon 20/Apr/09 11:48am

businesstime wrote:
Fergie wrote:Anne is a bit of a hammer.

Did anybody of note ride Brunner. So much for the NPS. Scotty McDonnell has his kids for 1 week on and trains 30min a day 1 week and 90mins a day the 2nd week. Sure he has some Euro experience and prior results but he shouldn't be placing 2nd in a NPS event.

Full credit to Shorty Allnut taking the win. I can think of several riders "of note" he beat. Mcdonnell being one, Horgan another. If the others could not be assed doing it then too bad.

At the end of the day a win is a win.

Agree. Allnutt beat Horgan, Alan Williams, Daniel Barry, Marc Prutton, Jono Gee, James Early and a bunch of otehr Benchmark series riders... Most who are around raced... Yates and Serina had series wrapped up but was a shame they were not there.

Allnutt raced a great race - to make the break and hold on was outstanding. The chasing bunch were closing them down over the final 10ks and it made for an exciging last quarter of racing.
johnenthuse

Postby roaringswine on Mon 20/Apr/09 6:35pm

tony_11 wrote:I agree that there there is a wide range of rider in the recreational category.. Ten to form a breakaway????? If you had some people that were willing to work hard and a had a good fitness and ability level four or five and you could put the hurt in....

Look at the Benchmark races for example. When you read the race reports the breakaway groups tend to be three or four riders.. Sometimes they are dragged back in but with a lot of effort from the guys in the peleton..

Possibly a tad excessive :blush: but I'm only basing this on what I witnessed during the ride. Certainly the stronger the individual riders are the less that will be needed. The few attempts at breakaways, that I saw, had only 3-5 riders (in Ahads case 1 :thumbsup: ) and were easily absorbed back into the bunch. It just seemed that the speed required to getaway needed some extra legs to allow for more recovery time before the next big effort. This seemed to be the problem when a few of us tried to ratchet things up a little after Moana.
roaringswine
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Ahad on Mon 20/Apr/09 8:55pm

tony_11 wrote:So all in all not a race to tick the box for next year eh?

Don't get me wrong, its a great course and great scenery etc. Pretty flat but still enough little hills and undulations to make things interesting. Very well organised and well run, and also a great part of the country. :thumbsup: Shit, I may even be back next yr :D

I was just pissed off at the guys who were stronger riders than me anyway, kept letting things purposely break down at the front.
I just reckon guys with the ability shouldn't ride so negatively. And also think its good to string the bunches out if you can, as it makes things safer in the end for everyone. At the end of the day its just a Rec race for Gods sake.
Ahad
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Cycling | Event Reports | Event Results | Events | Greymouth | Middle South Island | New Zealand | News | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing | West Coast - Latest Posts