Re: Anyone Using A Usb Stick As Ram?

Postby gristle on Tue 24/Dec/13 9:17pm

znomit wrote:
wachtourak wrote:lol wtf do you need 32gb of ram for.

+1
640K ought to be enough for anybody.

Merry Xmas Mr Gates.
gristle
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby danose on Tue 24/Dec/13 10:09pm

wachtourak wrote:lol wtf do you need 32gb of ram for. With 8GB I can play battlefield 4 with a bunch of shit going in the background and I'm still only using half that...

rasons for lots of ram - photoshop with big complex projects, and even more so multiple instances of NI kontakt.

there is more to computers than just bloody games :satan:

anyway, to answer scottys query - 2gb is the max on the mini 110, went thru this with scatter's 110, it's only got one dimm slot and the biggest ddr2 dim it supports is 2gb.

Readyboost can help if you're really low on ram (<1gb) but with 2gb win7 should run ok, if it's not I'd probably do a clean reinstall, and also run the hdd diags (seen too many laptops that are 'running a bit slow' because the hdd is busy slowly dying and frantically remapping bad sectors).

You could shove a 60gb ssd in - would definitely speed things up, but I'd question the wisdom of investing ANY $ into keeping a 110 running - they were painfully slow when released and just a total joke now (I've got a gateway lt32 kicking around here - it's twice the speed and has 4gb, and it's still so slow it never gets used). Probably better to invest in something current (maybe think about what you need to run on it - if it's just email/browsing go to a tablet?)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby danose on Tue 24/Dec/13 10:15pm

gristle wrote:Rendering aircraft interiors?
Oh yeah, only needed 12 for that.

I cannot see how swapping to a usb stick would be better than the HD.

latency vs sustained speed - a usb2 pendrive will obviously have much lower sustained read/write speeds than even the slowest sata hdd, (<30mb/s vs approx 100mb/s) but for small reads/writes (which is wht paging can cause a lot of) the pendrive will beat it hands down for random access due to no seek time or rotational delays

ssd would beat both - higher sustained r/w than hdd, faster random access than usb pen drive.

scotty - if win7se has resource monitor (can't remember how crippled it was?) fire it up and on the memory tab have a look at how much ram is actually in use
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Scotty on Tue 24/Dec/13 10:22pm

danose wrote:
wachtourak wrote:lol wtf do you need 32gb of ram for. With 8GB I can play battlefield 4 with a bunch of shit going in the background and I'm still only using half that...

rasons for lots of ram - photoshop with big complex projects, and even more so multiple instances of NI kontakt.

there is more to computers than just bloody games :satan:

anyway, to answer scottys query - 2gb is the max on the mini 110, went thru this with scatter's 110, it's only got one dimm slot and the biggest ddr2 dim it supports is 2gb.

Readyboost can help if you're really low on ram (<1gb) but with 2gb win7 should run ok, if it's not I'd probably do a clean reinstall, and also run the hdd diags (seen too many laptops that are 'running a bit slow' because the hdd is busy slowly dying and frantically remapping bad sectors).

You could shove a 60gb ssd in - would definitely speed things up, but I'd question the wisdom of investing ANY $ into keeping a 110 running - they were painfully slow when released and just a total joke now (I've got a gateway lt32 kicking around here - it's twice the speed and has 4gb, and it's still so slow it never gets used). Probably better to invest in something current (maybe think about what you need to run on it - if it's just email/browsing go to a tablet?)

Thank you sir. That actually answers things perfectly.

I might wire it into a car as a media player or something. :satan:
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby foremannz on Thu 26/Dec/13 9:40am

As said above, a USB drive is not made to run as memory, so you may kill it pretty quickly.
With the Netbooks, they are engineered to be low performance, so I don't expect you could make it too much better, as you'll probably find for all the money you spend on it, it doesn't actually make it any faster.
Bear in mind that from Vista, Windows is designed to fill up RAM, unlike Windows XP and previous that is designed to keep free RAM available - this confuses some people into thinking that they are running out of RAM, when in fact Windows is just using RAM in its most efficient manor.
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 27/Dec/13 10:19am

danose wrote:multiple instances of NI kontakt.

Bangin!
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts