Anyone Trained For A 12 Hour Race With Very Limited Time?

Postby Scotty on Mon 21/Sep/15 8:42pm

I'm quite keen to give this a nudge.

However,
1 - I'm a fattie and natural aerobic fitness can be a bit of a struggle if I don't keep my shit together.
2 - Kids/work/life tend to cut down my spare time to two or three hours a day if I'm lucky.

...but I kinda think I'm just using that as an excuse and it's not going to stop me.

Soooo has anyone here managed to train for twelve hour and finish it fairly comfortably under these sorts of conditions? There's not a lot of room for volume...
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Re: Anyone Trained For A 12 Hour Race With Very Limited Time?

Postby Dougal on Mon 21/Sep/15 8:45pm

My training consists of finding other riders to form a team. :)

Seriously, 12 hour races are for those without kids.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Farm on Mon 21/Sep/15 9:01pm

I've did one on pretty limited time.
I actually ran during the week rather than biking. I find running fits a better aerobic workout into a short period of time. I mixed the running up with hill repeats.
I still did some long rides heading into the couple of months before. I did long road rides, figuring that it's easier to get more distance into the time when compared to the same amount of time on the mountain bike.
Mostly the long rides were 3-5 hours with a 9 hour one about 3 weeks out.
I finished in pretty good shape but was never going to worry the front of the field.
Farm
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby pushbikerider on Mon 21/Sep/15 9:20pm

If you can get a good 3 hour fast ride in each week, plus a few shorter effort / interval based rides during the week you will finish okay. Focus on pacing yourself during your event, and eating / drinking small amounts regularly you'll finish okay.

Not that I know a lot about good finishes in 12 hour races.
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby noel_whiteside on Mon 21/Sep/15 9:21pm

How many weeks until your 12 hour?
I only ride 12 hour events to finish rather than to get a result.
I always based my training on matching the amount of hours of the race to that many hours of training per week for my big weeks. From about 12 weeks out I'd have a big week (about 12 hours) then a smaller week to recover (about 6 or 7 hours). And then repeat until big week, small week until the event. If I got about 5 , 12 hour weeks I would be able to finish if I eat and drink properly at the event.
noel_whiteside
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby slidecontrol on Mon 21/Sep/15 9:25pm

I've done all my 12's on limited training time. :crazy:

they all hurt. :hmmm:

still fun though. :thumbsup:
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Scotty on Mon 21/Sep/15 9:30pm

I've got until the start of April, so six months.

Just going for a finish, so do-able - just not in the mood to kill myself in the process. :blush:
Scotty

Postby slidecontrol on Mon 21/Sep/15 10:18pm

figure out what pace you think you might be able to ride at, then spend the first 6 hours going slower than that. every part of you will thank you once you get to the second half of the race.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Dougal on Mon 21/Sep/15 10:22pm

Scotty wrote:I've got until the start of April, so six months.

Just going for a finish, so do-able - just not in the mood to kill myself in the process. :blush:

that little gold mining town?
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby jimmi71 on Tue 22/Sep/15 6:20am

slidecontrol wrote:figure out what pace you think you might be able to ride at, then spend the first 6 hours going slower than that. every part of you will thank you once you get to the second half of the race.

This here is great advice. I havent done a 12 hour "race" but Ive ridden lots of days for 12 hours, often up to 4 days in a row with the biggest day out being 15 hours. The secret I reckon is finding your all day riding pace which feels slow, but is sustainable over a long (long) time. Apart from that, just remember to keep eating and drinking a little bit often.

Regarding fitness...I sympathise because family / work juggling is so hard. Almost all my rides fit around family life, but if you want to you will be surprised how much riding you can fit in if you have the motivation: Yesterday I had 40 minutes between arriving home and getting dinner ready, so I spent 40 minutes doing intervals up the road outside our house. Busy weekend? Ride at 5am. Got to drop the kids at swimming / soccer / netball? Chuck the bike in the car and do 40 minutes. Some of these rides are as boring as batshit, but I still get a buzz from the ride.

Good Luck!
jimmi71
Member for: 2 years 6 months

Postby Scotty on Tue 22/Sep/15 6:55am

Dougal wrote:
Scotty wrote:I've got until the start of April, so six months.

that little gold mining town?

Yeah, with a few in-between, just trying not to shout it from the rooftops.
Scotty

Postby Scotty on Tue 22/Sep/15 6:56am

jimmi71 wrote:Regarding fitness...I sympathise because family / work juggling is so hard. Almost all my rides fit around family life, but if you want to you will be surprised how much riding you can fit in if you have the motivation: Yesterday I had 40 minutes between arriving home and getting dinner ready, so I spent 40 minutes doing intervals up the road outside our house. Busy weekend? Ride at 5am. Got to drop the kids at swimming / soccer / netball? Chuck the bike in the car and do 40 minutes. Some of these rides are as boring as batshit, but I still get a buzz from the ride.

My thought is the windtrainer could become a very good friend during this process. :lol:
Scotty

Postby Slim on Tue 22/Sep/15 7:17am

Running will be your friend. I travel a fair bit for work so am short of time and equipment for riding so running is about as good as it gets some times. Couple of years ago I trained for a 100km event with running and a couple hours on the bike each week.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby ryda on Tue 22/Sep/15 8:10am

there is always the spend more time on social media and find 4 freinds option :paranoid:
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Tue 22/Sep/15 8:18am

Can't help on the limited time... but some good advice above :thumbsup: IMHO if you can get one 6 hour ride in somewhere, then you're good to go. Mainly to test food/drink and make sure everything is comfortable. Once you're riding, I find it helpful to break the race/ride down into blocks of 2-3 hours. 12 hours is a lot, but 2 hours? yeah, I can do that :)
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts