Re: Is Anyone Still Rockin The Fixie?

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 27/May/10 1:27pm

Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby ultraslowrider on Thu 27/May/10 1:38pm

fluoro fixie.jpg
Pretty much the epitome of "LOOK AT ME"!!!!!!!!!

Not mine by the way!
ultraslowrider
Member for: 7 years 5 months

Postby pinkmaggit on Thu 27/May/10 2:08pm

radddd
pinkmaggit
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 27/May/10 2:09pm

steezld wrote:
Photoshop much

It's called 'enhance', it's a feature on iPhoto that just boosts colour a bit. Makes things a bit more interesting, adds to that over the top look.

Got a 'D' lock and a belt with pointy metal studs?

As you can see I already have a lock, not a 'D' lock. And no. Just no. They are so 2006.

that has the ability to be a perfectly functional bicycle.

Booyah, indeed.

What about it isn't perfectly functional? You push on the pedals and the wheels go round. When you stop pedalling the wheels stop going round. About as functional as it gets really. I mean apart from the fact that the wheels have fallen off three times, the pedals having come undone once, and the bike spontaneously back-flipping occasionally entirely of its own volition, and having to have had 5 expensive knee surgeries (here's to the sixth) I can't see what's not functional about it. BOOYAH

TBH when I built this bike it started out grey black and white and boring and I didn't care about the look, just the simplicity. But then someone suggested making it a bit more colourful so I changed it entirely, going for the theme of "bike that everyone would hate for no reason even though they don't have to ride it nor comment on it in any way nor even look at it because they can stab their eyes out with my studded belt if they want to" by making it totally rad and over the top hipster fixie styled.

If anyone's interested this was the bike that inspired me to take it in this direction. The inspiration for the 'motif' if you will.

http://trendland.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/fixie-bike.jpg

Oh, and did I mention that I have pictures of Helen Clarke and Russell Norman in my spokes? Fuck. Yes.

the reason your post is so full of fail, and inspired me to respond with the classic Jimmy Cliff song is:

bicycles dont have a "motif" or a "design direction" nor do they need a "Theme" or to be "Rad and over the top hipster fixie" style (also, fail points for not saying it properly: its "stylez" in this context). You also admit (why?) that in fact you went in this direction not because you were inspired, but because someone even more tragic than you are TOLD YOU TO.

and Russell Norman and Helen Clark? lame to the power of douche.

By the way, if you've ever RIDDEN a fixed wheel bicycle (and one trusts that you will, someday) you would in fact realise (after a couple of hilarious OTB incidents) that (this is important) when you stop pedalling, the pedals in fact DO NOT stop going round.

:) HTH
Henry Dorset Case

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Thu 27/May/10 2:28pm

You're not getting it HDC. The bike isn't lame. It's self-knowingly lame. It's the post-modern sensibility that's so popular with all the kids these days (well, since the middle of last century). How can you be tasteless if you are intentionally without taste?
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby pinkmaggit on Thu 27/May/10 2:29pm

Steezld is either a troll, a baiter or just plain clueless. That said, Myself and a few people DO ride fixed gear bikes regularly. In fact, I'm selling my Blur LT because over the past 6 months I've had more fun riding my fixed gear bikes than my trail bike.

I don't ride my bike for 'street cred', I ride to have fun. Personally, fixed gear riding is fun, and is a challenge for me.
Do whatever floats your boat. This "fixies are gay" thing is getting pretty tired. Lumping all people who do the same thing into one category is pretty dumb– There are exceptions to the stereotypes.
pinkmaggit
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 27/May/10 3:46pm

pinkmaggit wrote:Steezld is either a troll, a baiter or just plain clueless. That said, Myself and a few people DO ride fixed gear bikes regularly. In fact, I'm selling my Blur LT because over the past 6 months I've had more fun riding my fixed gear bikes than my trail bike.

I don't ride my bike for 'street cred', I ride to have fun. Personally, fixed gear riding is fun, and is a challenge for me.
Do whatever floats your boat. This "fixies are gay" thing is getting pretty tired. Lumping all people who do the same thing into one category is pretty dumb– There are exceptions to the stereotypes.

nonsense stereotypes are stereotypes because they're true.....

It goes like this.

roadies hate mtbers

mtbers hate roadies even when they are closeted roadies themselves

bmxers hate mtbers and roadies

commuters hate cars, roadies*, wet weather and potholes

fixies hate other cyclists because they are not as cool as them

EVERYBODY hates fixie fagz.

now, where do unicyclists fit in?
Henry Dorset Case

Postby ultraslowrider on Thu 27/May/10 3:59pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:roadies hate mtbers

Woah! Settle down bud!
I have a fixie as my commuter, I also ride a BMX, and am building another XC MTB as my current project.
Where does THAT fit into your misinformed stereotype chain-of-command?
ultraslowrider
Member for: 7 years 5 months

Postby Mel on Thu 27/May/10 4:06pm

pinkmaggit wrote:Steezld is either a troll, a baiter or just plain clueless. That said, Myself and a few people DO ride fixed gear bikes regularly. In fact, I'm selling my Blur LT because over the past 6 months I've had more fun riding my fixed gear bikes than my trail bike.

w3rd.

I ride a fixie, but I don't "rock" it. And my fixie is more of the socks and sandals type fixed gear bike, than a hipster fixie. It's also my singlespeed roadie, and also my cyclocross bike. Not very hip.
Mel
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby danose on Thu 27/May/10 4:07pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:now, where do unicyclists fit in?

same category as mimes - not so much hated as seen as freak show escapees who should be rounded back up and locked away in a nice safe padded cell where they belong
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 27/May/10 4:31pm

ultraslowrider wrote:
Henry Dorset Case wrote:roadies hate mtbers

Woah! Settle down bud!
I have a fixie as my commuter, I also ride a BMX, and am building another XC MTB as my current project.
Where does THAT fit into your misinformed stereotype chain-of-command?

you are conflicted. You must abandon cycling altogether, and take up ice-dancing. Those tutus are delightful.
Henry Dorset Case

Postby danose on Thu 27/May/10 4:42pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:you are conflicted. You must abandon cycling altogether, and take up ice-dancing. Those tutus are delightful.

the other 'fix' is to develop multiple personality disorder to suit - only downside is when the 'feral ss hipster' has been in control, and gone and done a poo on that nice shiny roadie that 'some other weirdo' keeps leaving your garage. Doubly bad if the 'die hard mtber' is currently in control and mistakes said poo for 'lovely fresh mud' and decides to smear it all over themselves to make them look even more hard core
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Oli on Thu 27/May/10 4:45pm

steezld wrote:Oh, and did I mention that I have pictures of Helen Clarke and Russell Norman in my spokes? Fuck. Yes.
Awesome! :D
Oli
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby steezld on Thu 27/May/10 5:40pm

bicycles dont have a "motif" or a "design direction" nor do they need a "Theme" or to be "Rad and over the top hipster fixie" style (also, fail points for not saying it properly: its "stylez" in this context). You also admit (why?) that in fact you went in this direction not because you were inspired, but because someone even more tragic than you are TOLD YOU TO. [sic]

I beg to differ. Just like female tennis players, bikes can have a motif. And, no I wasn't told to by someone else, they merely suggested it - a suggestion which I ran into with open arms, as the opportunity to introduce some purple 'n' gold into my life was just too much.

How can you be tasteless if you are intentionally without taste?

Whether or not this guy is taking the piss (kudos if he's not) this is what I am getting at. I think if I am going to have haters hate, they might as well hate for a reason.

Though I did say this, it was a joke. I don't hate any cyclists, (and used to ride a road bike myself - sold that and built this bike for the lower maintenance etc) because the more people on bikes the better, no matter what they ride - no hatin'.

and Russell Norman and Helen Clark? lame to the power of douche.

You reckon? Well TBH I don't really care what your view is of them, because you sound pretty deluded as it is. I could hardly expect you to recognise greatness when you see it. But why not give a shout out to some actual local politicians who do/did some good stuff, instead of the faces of foreign people that no one actually knows anything about? (Think "mi camiseta tiene Che, y no se porque") oh wait:

Oh, and did I mention that I have pictures of Helen Clarke and Russell Norman in my spokes? Fuck. Yes.

Awesome! :D

THIS guy knows what he's talking about!

This is also pretty much what I'm getting at. I too find riding fixed fun, freewheels are less entertaining. Fixed is where it all began, gotta have some respect for that. Plus there's virtually nothing to break (apart from your ego when the next big trend comes in.) There are actually way too many web pages dedicated solely to taking the piss out of hipsters and fixies. It's like these Justin Bieber haters. If you hate them/him SO much, why not just stop devoting your time to making websites about hating them/him, stop giving them so much of your time and go jerk off in the corner.

By the way, if you've ever RIDDEN a fixed wheel bicycle (and one trusts that you will, someday) you would in fact realise (after a couple of hilarious OTB incidents) that (this is important) when you stop pedalling, [sic] the pedals in fact DO NOT stop going round.

You really think I haven't even ridden this bike? How else would I have gotten all the attention I crave!?! Well I have, and you're right about that because I did almost get thrown off it a few times at first. But I mean that it slows down eventually if you stop pedaling/slow down pedaling, which must have been kind of obvious because physics kind of dictates that it won't work like that, wouldn't you think?

Steezld is either a troll, a baiter or just plain clueless

Pretty close there TBH, I have perhaps tried to provoke a reaction from haters out there for a bit of a laugh. Think of it as a social experiment. But I posted it here to see what others thought. Now I know...

Lawlz at pretty much all the most recent comments :D TUTUS FTW
steezld
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby Conners on Thu 27/May/10 5:43pm

So many werdz :blink:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Cycling | Fixed Gear - Latest Posts