Re: Is Anyone Still Rockin The Fixie?

Postby Lynskey on Tue 13/Apr/10 1:16pm

the-right-to-evolve wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:why do you hate skateboarding so much?




this is only part of the reason...


Well at least you came up with your own opinions on the matter... :rolleyes:
Lynskey
User avatar
"Ah yes the tossers certainly come out late at night.."
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Re: Is Anyone Still Rockin The Fixie?

Postby the-right-to-evolve on Tue 13/Apr/10 6:58pm

explain to me why its gay? i honestly cannot see why you would think that.
the-right-to-evolve
User avatar
"Language is the liquid that we're all dissolved in, great for solving problems after it creates them."
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Re: Is Anyone Still Rockin The Fixie?

Postby wheeltowheel on Tue 13/Apr/10 7:32pm

Skating just looks a lot cooler from an aesthetic point-of-view. If you're into minimalism and economy, I guess. Simple equipment being used to perform physically demanding stunts under challenging conditions.

The thing is that rollerblading uses weird modified boot things with wheels on the bottom. I know it's derived from ice hockey (which is badass) but it ends up looking more like figure skating, for some reason. I mean, it's great that people enjoy themselves doing tricks on rollerblades and I know that people do some amazing things. But if you're into the whole cool thing, if that's something that's really important for you, you should probably do something else.

It's also a question of associations in the minds of the public.

You've got this -

Image

versus this -
Image

I mean, come on now. And it's not because of some byzantine conspiracy on the part of the skate industry. It's because cool flows in mysterious ways, and woe betide those who swim against the current.

but, y'know, in the end it's about whatever gets you through the night. So go rollerblading.

Just don't expect to be cool. You wouldn't ride a recliner to be cool, would you? You'd ride it because you thought it was awesome.
wheeltowheel
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Re: Is Anyone Still Rockin The Fixie?

Postby snr_merv on Tue 13/Apr/10 7:44pm

the-right-to-evolve wrote:explain to me why its gay? i honestly cannot see why you would think that.

A combination of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRnIIQ9bnc
and this from 2 mins in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_2uFPF0 ... re=related

Also consider what it crosses over to... Mountainbikes cross over with BMX, Motocross, etc.
Skateboards cross over into snowboarding, surfing etc.
Rollerblades (or "ZOMG Inline skates" cos that's a brand name) cross over with..... figure skating? :p
snr_merv
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Re: Is Anyone Still Rockin The Fixie?

Postby the-right-to-evolve on Tue 13/Apr/10 8:11pm

Image

Image

look we could spend hours comparing photos but it wont get us anywhere. i dont rollerblade in the hope that people will say oh your cool i do it as you say because i think its awesome (Ive been blading since i was three im not gunna stop now) i just dont know why people have so much disrespect for it...

rollerblading crosses over into parkour? http://vimeo.com/2574604 (amazing video :) )

it just annoys me that most people who say rollerblading gay don't know anything about how far our sport has moved in the last few years and how the top rollerbladers brian aragon, chris haffey, montre livingston and others are doing things people didn't even think would be possible.

sorry for my ranting but that sport is my passion and you would feel the same if people constantly put down cycling.


back to the fixed gear discussion...and yes i ride one and no i don't do it to be cool. its so much fun ill be doing it even when its not cool :blush: .
the-right-to-evolve
User avatar
"Language is the liquid that we're all dissolved in, great for solving problems after it creates them."
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Re: Is Anyone Still Rockin The Fixie?

Postby pinkmaggit on Wed 14/Apr/10 2:40pm

I ride a fixed gear bike often, actually it's the bike I ride the most.
pinkmaggit
User avatar
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Re: Is Anyone Still Rockin The Fixie?

Postby nzmja on Wed 14/Apr/10 2:57pm

dirtydawg wrote:
Yeah, thinking of going 18 for the hills but spinning down hill with an 18 will get a bit hectic.

Had to get off going up Landscape road last night :( (from Mt Eden Side)........grind grind grind.......stop...lol


Yeah I wondered how shit it would be riding the mountainous area that is Mt Eden/Mt Roskill/Hillsborough on a fixie/ss. One more reason for me not to bother getting one. Always liked the idea of riding fixed (somewhere flat, CHC for instance).
nzmja
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Re: Is Anyone Still Rockin The Fixie?

Postby i'mfixed on Wed 14/Apr/10 3:09pm

nzmja wrote:
dirtydawg wrote:
Yeah, thinking of going 18 for the hills but spinning down hill with an 18 will get a bit hectic.

Had to get off going up Landscape road last night :( (from Mt Eden Side)........grind grind grind.......stop...lol


Yeah I wondered how shit it would be riding the mountainous area that is Mt Eden/Mt Roskill/Hillsborough on a fixie/ss. One more reason for me not to bother getting one. Always liked the idea of riding fixed (somewhere flat, CHC for instance).


I wouldn't let hills put you off a fixie / SS... you realise just how much your legs will do for you once you don't have the granny ring option!
i'mfixed
User avatar
"check out my sweet San Remo!"
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Is Anyone Still Rockin The Fixie?

Postby the-right-to-evolve on Wed 14/Apr/10 5:34pm

uphills are mint on my fixie and my ss. once you get good at it youll find that you actually climb with more ease than gears and you will have more speed on the uphill which means you can overtake people on road and mtb's :) .

i remember one such incident climbing up a hill between porirua and wellington on the fixed gears me and my friend overtook a couple of roadies and i said "20 speeds to many" to them :p . riding fixed/ss also encourages you to be a cheeky bastard i must warn you.
the-right-to-evolve
User avatar
"Language is the liquid that we're all dissolved in, great for solving problems after it creates them."
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Re: Is Anyone Still Rockin The Fixie?

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Wed 14/Apr/10 5:37pm

Is this thread spazzing out for anyone else? (I mean, apart from all the fruitbooting and fixie gayness).
E Dogg Capizzle
User avatar
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Re: Is Anyone Still Rockin The Fixie?

Postby phunk on Wed 14/Apr/10 5:41pm

Displays fine for me even with the gayness of the fixies and fruitbooters.
phunk
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Re: Is Anyone Still Rockin The Fixie?

Postby the-right-to-evolve on Wed 14/Apr/10 5:56pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:Is this thread spazzing out for anyone else?




yeah i can only read new posts in the "post a reply" section :eh:
the-right-to-evolve
User avatar
"Language is the liquid that we're all dissolved in, great for solving problems after it creates them."
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Re: Is Anyone Still Rockin The Fixie?

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Wed 14/Apr/10 5:58pm

Sounds like the cumulative gayness of fixies and fruitboots was too much for this thread to handle.
E Dogg Capizzle
User avatar
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Re: Is Anyone Still Rockin The Fixie?

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 14/Apr/10 7:09pm

agreed
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Re: Is Anyone Still Rockin The Fixie?

Postby i'mfixed on Thu 15/Apr/10 8:45am

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:Sounds like the cumulative gayness of fixies and fruitboots was too much for this thread to handle.


Why all the hate? I agree that for the most part, rollerbladers do look a bit silly... but is hating on them really necessary? And come on, what's wrong with a fixie? Call them gay all you like, but at least they've gotten bums on seats
i'mfixed
User avatar
"check out my sweet San Remo!"
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Cycling | Fixed Gear - Latest Posts

Who is online

46 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot], Wobbler and 42 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles