Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby 9ine on Mon 2/Nov/09 12:36am

My first time riding K2. It was a hard day involving several unwanted stops trying to pee faster as I watched my bunch dissappear off into the distance only to be left to battle the wind on my own for what seemed like ages. Totally ran out of energy at a couple of points, not related to the hills or the wind necessarily but perhaps my nutrition. The premixed leppin at the water stations didnt agree with me even though I usually use leppin squeezies and had a bunch of them that I used successfully. Drank alot of water tho and didnt seem to suffer an dehydration

The marshals and water aid people were great. Helped raise my spirits on several occasions. Big thanks especially to the girls with tinsel wigs on the top of Pumpkin. You got me to laugh even while I fought my hamstring cramp. Police did a great job too from what I saw. Escorting traffic past us on the hills, keeping people in check when they crossed the centreline, keeping the one way bridges safe, getting assistance through to the crash victims on the first big descent.

Horrible tho it was at various times I enjoyed it and I'll be back.
9ine
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby psyclist on Mon 2/Nov/09 9:28am

thekiwi wrote:So how did you all go? THe weather was kind in terms of the sun and temperature, but that was cruel how it was a gentle head wind to Thames, and then as we turned to head back to Whitianga, it was a headwind again!


Well one thing is for sure. You and your Gissy mate had a LEGENDARY day! Breaking away in the first 5km and staying away. You can retire from cycling a happy man now. Did you discuss who was going to have the win? I blew up big time in the last 20km. In my group of six for the last 10km I couldn't come through for a turn. I was utterly poked. With 5km to go they decided they didn't want a passenger any more and I had to grovel the last 5km into that head wind hoping they had medics waiting with a drip for me on the finish line. In the end the red bull at the finish line did the trick. I got extremely cold electing only to wear a cycle top - big mistake! My body temperature got extremely low. Even though we had a sunny day there was still a nip in the air, and I should have worn something underneath. Amateur mistake on my part.
psyclist
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby thekiwi on Mon 2/Nov/09 10:21am

psyclist wrote:
thekiwi wrote:So how did you all go? THe weather was kind in terms of the sun and temperature, but that was cruel how it was a gentle head wind to Thames, and then as we turned to head back to Whitianga, it was a headwind again!


Well one thing is for sure. You and your Gissy mate had a LEGENDARY day! Breaking away in the first 5km and staying away. You can retire from cycling a happy man now. Did you discuss who was going to have the win? I blew up big time in the last 20km. In my group of six for the last 10km I couldn't come through for a turn. I was utterly poked. With 5km to go they decided they didn't want a passenger any more and I had to grovel the last 5km into that head wind hoping they had medics waiting with a drip for me on the finish line. In the end the red bull at the finish line did the trick. I got extremely cold electing only to wear a cycle top - big mistake! My body temperature got extremely low. Even though we had a sunny day there was still a nip in the air, and I should have worn something underneath. Amateur mistake on my part.

If you had told me before the race that was how it was going to pan out I would have told you you were nuts.

When Kev attacked, figured I wasn't going to let him do that alone so went as well. Damn masterfull stroke. All we wanted was to be caught at Whangapoua and ride with whoever had broken away at that stage. So we rode and waited, and waited and waited ... but seemed to get further and further ahead.
At Kopu-Hikuai we had 5:45 and was down to 4:15 at around Tairua ... but wasnt until we got to Pumpkin that we entertained thoughts that we might stay away.

The wind in the last 20km was killing me. I was also totally smashed at 10 km to go, but thankfully we had caught the tail end of the elites so rotated through with them. They saved us as it appears a rider from 1B caught the bunch and was only 40 sec back on corrected time. Kev totally deserved it as he rode incredibly well.

Darryl, who was in the chasing bunch, was the only one it seems who knew we were up the road and thankfully didnt tell anyone since none of them were working. Owe him for that as it turned it for us.

We stuffed up the KOM by agreeing early on to give the young chap initially with us the max points ... but he popped after about 60km but the lead was too much to pull back. Im hopeless at maths on the road, but we figured Kev was closest to overhauling him so started giving him the points ... but fell short by 1 point I think!

Got a cool Polar 200CAD which Ive given to the wife.

You were brave going in the elite race with such a small field. Had considered it but thought we would be riding in 2's and 3's and didnt fancy that idea for the whole distance !! :crazy:
thekiwi
User avatar
"A bad day of riding beats a good day at the office"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby psyclist on Mon 2/Nov/09 10:48am

I had the same fear about entering the elite race. i.e. getting dropped on the first hill and having to do 180km by myself. The whole bunch stayed together until that hill before Tairua. The strong guys in our race i.e. Yates and Kerr with Southland just around the corner were obviously looking at doing just enough to win the race without digging too deep which meant I was able to survive alot longer with the main field than what I thought I would have. Thankfully I was able to get in a group of 6 from Tairua til the time I blew up totally.
psyclist
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby lloydy on Mon 2/Nov/09 1:07pm

Did 2k for first time, enjoyed it, super conditions except for that N headwind heading back to Whiti, what happened to the promised southerly?

Distance wise my computer showed it some way short of the listed 200km (can't recall exact figure, was using my old bike which still had miles!), but I guess it had more than enough hills to compensate.

I was in a decent small group going down the Coromandel -Thames coast, which worked well together and made that long stretch pass quicker than I was anticipating.

Bottlewise and refills, I don't see the big issue. I think it best only try to provide water bottles to small no. of elite guys, as there is no way they can provide it for everyone. Also it's a mess (& waste) with bottles being littered roadside.

I think the support guys at the refueling stations were excellent (though only used them for a refill of water on the climb over from Thames) and the people manning the one lane bridges and traffic likewise.

Would defintely do it again, though having though not sure about next year with it finishing with the toughest 1/4.
lloydy
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby Muzza on Tue 3/Nov/09 10:20am

K2 Done. "A tale from the middle of the field"

It was my first K2 and first fun ride/race over 100km so definitely a leap into the unknown. I had trained well and sorted a nutrition plan so arrived at the start ready to go.

The beginning went well riding with my group until Gentle Anne, a small climb before Whangapoua, where the intensity increased and I was spat out the back. I settled into a solid tempo over Whangapoua and nailed the decent. Managing to get in sight of my group briefly as I headed out of Coromandel. Continued mostly alone over Manaia than Keretah, unable to jump onto a couple of small fast bunches that passed me.

Once on the flat I worked well with a guy until the next bunch rode by and we both were able to integrate into that bunch. Having recovered a little I did my turns, but have to say it was the most dysfunctional bunch. No pace line formed, people pulling for long periods, people pull to hard and as you dropped back the wheel suckers towards the back soft peddled forcing you back into line or lose the wheel of the guys doing the work. But hey, better than riding alone into a head wind.

I needed water in Thames and noticed entering the water station they where handing out bottles. Sweet, I thought, I could grab one and not loss the bunch. Wrong. The bottle was a liter bottle with no top. So I was force to stop and transfer the water into my bottle than work out what to do with the empty bottle. Losing a little momentum at that point, with the climb and descent of Kopu-Hikua mostly a solo effort. A quick stop in Tairua for water then over Punpkin.

Time and average speed at that point put me on about a 7 hour time so thought "sub 7, game on" and increased intensity a little. To my surprise I founding a little more gas in the tank. I picked up a couple of guys and working with them pulling strongly on the flat and descents plus making use of passing bunches until any raise in the road, sub 7 was looking good. But those raises in the road, grovel springs to mind. Unfortunately, I lost my new buddies as I grovelled up a raise about 10km out from Whitiange just as you turned directly into the wind. Sub 7 not looking so hot now. With a line of individual rides strung out in front of me I targeted the rider ahead and bridge across, sat on there wheel for a breather then targeted and bridged to the next rider etc. Sub 7 back on, but I was fading. Thankfully I was swallowed up by a bunch about 3 km out and was able to sat in to the finish and managed to finish under 7 hours. Virtual high fives all round at that point.

Thanks to the organizers and volunteers for making it a wonderful day.

Note for next time: I worked up too and based my training round K2 training program. It worked well, but to enhance it for any future attemp I'd replace/add a fast group ride into the mix. I was conditioned to ride hills and go long at a solid pace, but noticed I'd lost the ability to handle the accelerations and heart rate fluctuations associated with a fast bunch riding.

Finally, to those competitors that still insist on dropping their rubbish and tossing there water bottle away along the road side or worse dropping them on the road. HTFU and take your rubbish and bottle with you and dispose of them in appropriate/allocated places.
Last edited by Muzza on Tue 3/Nov/09 10:25am, edited 1 time in total.
Muzza
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby Oli on Tue 3/Nov/09 10:25am

Good work, Muzza! :thumbsup:
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby Lynskey on Tue 3/Nov/09 11:10am

Muzza wrote:
K2 Done. "A tale from the middle of the field"

Note for next time: I worked up too and based my training round K2 training program. It worked well, but to enhance it for any future attemp I'd replace/add a fast group ride into the mix. I was conditioned to ride hills and go long at a solid pace, but noticed I'd lost the ability to handle the accelerations and heart rate fluctuations associated with a fast bunch riding.


Cool writeup man. Sounds like a gruelling event, so congrats on your hoped sub-7! I think your note there is great advice, when I've found elite level riders giving me advice for races such as Round the Mountain or Taupo, they always mention long rides and hillwork as important, but neglect to mention that it takes conditioning and hard work to be able to match small accelerations and changes in tempo by bunches, I guess it comes naturally to those guys as they've been in the game long enough.
Lynskey
User avatar
"Ah yes the tossers certainly come out late at night.."
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby tricks121 on Thu 5/Nov/09 9:58am

Sooo, I too did my first K2, in fact it was my FIRST bike race as a singular thing. I've always seemed to attach a marathon or some other nutty run on the end and a swim before it!!

I had no idea what I was in for but figured I'd just treat it as a training ride for Ironman and aim for 7.45-8 hours so registered into group 7 ... at the start line I started to get VERY concered that I had underestimated myself so I decided to sneak up into Group 6. Even there i thought, what the hell, lets aim high and go into Group 5!! a very very good and valid decision. I stuck to the front of the group and pulled away from my training buddy on the first hill but decided I needed to race my own race as much as she may have needed me. :blush:

Wondered why at Coromandel I was feeling so good and noted, ahhh only 50 odd kms down, that'll be it, mind you some nasty hills in that time. Hooked onto the wheel of my coach who had had 2 punchers and he carried me along to the next hill, where he promptly dropped me!! I wasn't too far behind but far enough that there was no way to catch up and I didn't feel the need to kill myself to try and keep up. I am a girl after all! Carried onto the next hilll ... too many hills to remember the names ... and then looked at the view ... oh lovely!

Worked on creating a bunch with a couple of other guys and we managed to get a good one going for the ride down into Thames, bearing in mind this was my first race with drafting and bunch riding allowed, I thought I handled the surging quite well. Coming down into Thames and I thought hmmm, that hurts, need to pee ... can't pee on the bike!!!! EEEEWWWWW, it's just not ok ...

I carried on past the Kopu brige and turned to head up Kopu-Hikua whan about 2km in ... pffffiiiitttttt .... FU*K, puncher ... G*D DAM IT!!! FU*K FU*K. Fortunately I have been practicing my tyre changes ... but FU*K FU*K only one FU*KEN tyre lever ... a lady's language ALWAYS turns to custard when it turns bad!!! A lovely guy on the other BMC SLO1 stopped to give me his levers and I quickly stripped the tyre. Change and back on the bike ... still need to pee, kidney's really hurting now.

Up and over the first part of the Kopu-Hikua and the kidneys are really hurtin. Right that's it full view I DON"T CARE, into the gorse I go ...

RELIEF!!!!!!! Sooooo I start up the hill again and think I'll get some water and that'll fix the abdominal pain ... got some lepin ... doh.

Down the hilll.... holly mother of .... and I wasn't going that fast compared to some of the nutters (IMHO) racing down those hills. I quite like the feel of my skin so I want to keep it on me! Down into Tairua past the estuary and river mouth and pfffiiiittttt YOU ARE FU*KEN kidding me. I dragged myself into the service station, changed the tube, another pit stop and freaked the attendant out by looking like I was going to pass out.

Seems my body and stomach was shutting down, that hurts man. Decided I really needed some water so emptied the 1/4 bottle of ISO Drive and filled up. The guy tried to stop me and wanted to get the St Johns people but I saw a K1 bunch coming and decided, they were mine!!! Shot off and rode up Pumpkin with them. Those last kms were freaken hard man as the pinches meant I needed to stand but couldn't due to the sore tum I created.

I didn't stop working though, did my time at the front of the bunch and kept up. Some of those K1 people though ... DON"T BOX ME IN MAN!! That freaks a girl out when she's already been riding 170kms!!! And hills! Also, what is it with not free peddling when your going down the undulations, it's free speed, use it!!!

The undulations into Whiti and the wind sucked the rest of me dry, nutrition, liquid and general care of self was BAD. I learned some lessons BUT, I got a sub 7 and without those punchers who knows, 15mins or more off could have been me! 6th in my age group, 15th lady ... wicked!!

I will be back as although it didn't 'beat' me, I'm too stubborn for my own good so I have to do better and get closer to that actual ride time next time! :thumbsup: :D
tricks121
User avatar
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby sifter on Thu 5/Nov/09 10:13am

Great stories!

:thumbsup:
sifter
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby Muzza on Thu 5/Nov/09 1:13pm

Your day at the office last Saturday was much more eventful than mine. Great recovery and finish time considering what you went through.

I do take my hat off to you IM gals and guys. How you can run a marathon after 180Km ride impressive.

I do know one thing, you would not stop to long during the transition. I stopped for about 15min to see if I could catch a friend finish before riding the 10min to my accommodation. That 10min was the hardest and most painful part the day.
Muzza
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby slidecontrol on Thu 5/Nov/09 1:27pm

Muzza wrote:I do take my hat off to you IM gals and guys. How you can run a marathon after 180Km ride impressive.


its not as hard as many think, doing it fast on the other hand ( tricks gave me a good whipping back march )
slidecontrol
User avatar
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby TheTricksterNZ on Mon 30/Nov/09 9:12pm

tricks121 wrote:Sooo, I too did my first K2, in fact it was my FIRST bike race as a singular thing. I've always seemed to attach a marathon or some other nutty run on the end and a swim before it!!

I had no idea what I was in for but figured I'd just treat it as a training ride for Ironman and aim for 7.45-8 hours so registered into group 7 ... at the start line I started to get VERY concered that I had underestimated myself so I decided to sneak up into Group 6. Even there i thought, what the hell, lets aim high and go into Group 5!! a very very good and valid decision. I stuck to the front of the group and pulled away from my training buddy on the first hill but decided I needed to race my own race as much as she may have needed me. :blush:

Wondered why at Coromandel I was feeling so good and noted, ahhh only 50 odd kms down, that'll be it, mind you some nasty hills in that time. Hooked onto the wheel of my coach who had had 2 punchers and he carried me along to the next hill, where he promptly dropped me!! I wasn't too far behind but far enough that there was no way to catch up and I didn't feel the need to kill myself to try and keep up. I am a girl after all! Carried onto the next hilll ... too many hills to remember the names ... and then looked at the view ... oh lovely!

Worked on creating a bunch with a couple of other guys and we managed to get a good one going for the ride down into Thames, bearing in mind this was my first race with drafting and bunch riding allowed, I thought I handled the surging quite well. Coming down into Thames and I thought hmmm, that hurts, need to pee ... can't pee on the bike!!!! EEEEWWWWW, it's just not ok ...

I carried on past the Kopu brige and turned to head up Kopu-Hikua whan about 2km in ... pffffiiiitttttt .... FU*K, puncher ... G*D DAM IT!!! FU*K FU*K. Fortunately I have been practicing my tyre changes ... but FU*K FU*K only one FU*KEN tyre lever ... a lady's language ALWAYS turns to custard when it turns bad!!! A lovely guy on the other BMC SLO1 stopped to give me his levers and I quickly stripped the tyre. Change and back on the bike ... still need to pee, kidney's really hurting now.

Up and over the first part of the Kopu-Hikua and the kidneys are really hurtin. Right that's it full view I DON"T CARE, into the gorse I go ...

RELIEF!!!!!!! Sooooo I start up the hill again and think I'll get some water and that'll fix the abdominal pain ... got some lepin ... doh.

Down the hilll.... holly mother of .... and I wasn't going that fast compared to some of the nutters (IMHO) racing down those hills. I quite like the feel of my skin so I want to keep it on me! Down into Tairua past the estuary and river mouth and pfffiiiittttt YOU ARE FU*KEN kidding me. I dragged myself into the service station, changed the tube, another pit stop and freaked the attendant out by looking like I was going to pass out.

Seems my body and stomach was shutting down, that hurts man. Decided I really needed some water so emptied the 1/4 bottle of ISO Drive and filled up. The guy tried to stop me and wanted to get the St Johns people but I saw a K1 bunch coming and decided, they were mine!!! Shot off and rode up Pumpkin with them. Those last kms were freaken hard man as the pinches meant I needed to stand but couldn't due to the sore tum I created.

I didn't stop working though, did my time at the front of the bunch and kept up. Some of those K1 people though ... DON"T BOX ME IN MAN!! That freaks a girl out when she's already been riding 170kms!!! And hills! Also, what is it with not free peddling when your going down the undulations, it's free speed, use it!!!

The undulations into Whiti and the wind sucked the rest of me dry, nutrition, liquid and general care of self was BAD. I learned some lessons BUT, I got a sub 7 and without those punchers who knows, 15mins or more off could have been me! 6th in my age group, 15th lady ... wicked!!

I will be back as although it didn't 'beat' me, I'm too stubborn for my own good so I have to do better and get closer to that actual ride time next time! :thumbsup: :D


Well that was me. Been trying to log in for fricking months (since about May) except my old account wouldn't work.

Anyway, no worries about the levers. Running Fulcrum 3's with particular tires (I know Pro3's are a bitch as they're what I run when racing) can be an absolute pain to get the tire on and off. I'd seriously recommend getting the Topeak levers like those, they're a bit more pricey but well worth it.

Anyway I got a 6hrs 37 so you would have been around a similar time probably.
TheTricksterNZ
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby cooper770 on Wed 2/Dec/09 8:06pm

Ive just got home from 10 days away, sorry Flatuence that we didn't get to meet up, but I spent the last 3 days in the Coromandel and did 3 of the legs, one each day. Some long hills with sharp climbs in places but amazing views. Im building up to doing it in 2 years.
cooper770
"Enjoy the sandpit Kids, some of us have left Kindy."
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts

Who is online

48 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Velocipedestrian and 44 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • ProBikeKit
  • Torpedo7
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles