Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby cauld on Tue 27/Oct/09 12:11pm

I am doing K1 this weekend.
Training has been OK. But a bit crook over the weekend just past :angry:
cauld
"God Botherer Botherer"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby sifter on Tue 27/Oct/09 2:44pm

cauld wrote:I am doing K1 this weekend.
Training has been OK. But a bit crook over the weekend just past :angry:

Good luck Chris!
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby lloydy on Thu 29/Oct/09 11:06pm

Also doing the K2 for the first time Saturday. I've ridden all bits of the course before so kind of know what to expect but have never ridden close to 200k before so it's certainly going to be into the unknown.

Hoping the weather's kind, it would be a killer in anything like the winds today.
lloydy
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby 9ine on Fri 30/Oct/09 2:37am

I'm off to K2 with a bunch of riders from Hamilton. First time riding this distance and this hilly a course. Training has been OK but there is always the nagging doubt. Wish I had swapped out the 12-25 for a 12-27 now. Power cookies and gels packed.

Good luck everyone.
9ine
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby cauld on Fri 30/Oct/09 11:10am

Got out fr a inal spin this morning.

Can't get my normal cranks off (not go a puller) so no compacts for me this weekend.

Watch out for me at the end.... I'll be the sprint burglar in the K1 slow poke bunch! :satan:
cauld
"God Botherer Botherer"

Postby Joel on Fri 30/Oct/09 11:12am

cauld wrote:Got out fr a inal spin this morning.

Can't get my normal cranks off (not go a puller) so no compacts for me this weekend.

Watch out for me at the end.... I'll be the sprint burglar in the K1 slow poke bunch! :satan:

:thumbsup:
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Roma on Fri 30/Oct/09 12:57pm

I know I'll be making good use of my 27 gear up Whangapoua tomorrow. Training has been absolute rubbish but I'm pretty psyched anyway.
Roma
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby jo on Fri 30/Oct/09 12:58pm

Good luck to y'all. :)
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 30/Oct/09 1:20pm

cauld wrote:Got out fr a inal spin this morning.

:) There is still time to get a LBS to do it.

:thumbsup: Good luck everyone - I hope you all do a PB.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby thekiwi on Sun 1/Nov/09 5:15pm

So how did you all go? THe weather was kind in terms of the sun and temperature, but that was cruel how it was a gentle head wind to Thames, and then as we turned to head back to Whitianga, it was a headwind again!
thekiwi
"A bad day of riding beats a good day at the office"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby Roma on Sun 1/Nov/09 5:59pm

thekiwi wrote: but that was cruel how it was a gentle head wind to Thames, and then as we turned to head back to Whitianga, it was a headwind again!

Agreed! I was killing myself keeping up with my bunch along the tedious Thames coast and was looking forward to a reprieve on the east side.. I hate that flat stretch to Thames, hardest part of the route for me.

I feel I did OK, totally hit the wall in the last 15 km though; the last few k's were excruciating. Was very grateful for a gracious bunch that formed somewhere around Coroglen Tavern and who unanimously agreed that only k1'ers were to go on the front and k2'ers could hang at the back. If it wasn't for them I would have been toasted a lot earlier!

Didn't make my goal of 6.30 but based on how feeble my training has been coming out of a winter injury and lacklustre motivation, I'm stoked to be about 20 mins faster than last year. I was planning on taking a short hiatus after this so as to re-ignite my motivation and passion but I am feeling pretty psyched up and full of bike love after yesterday!

Only gripe, which I am going to email the organizers about, would have to be how the first two aid stations ran out of bottles very quickly. 6.30+ riders might not be out for the win but everyone is trying for a PB and we all paid the same entry fee so should be entitled to the same level of aid. Surely more than 300 bottles wouldn't have been such an extra burden logistically. I don't recall aid stations running short of bottles in the past years I've done the event so can only assume it's due to the 'no support vehicles' clause.
Roma
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby psych1975 on Sun 1/Nov/09 6:15pm

I have a feeling it's more to do with some of the early groups starting light, taking two bottles at the stations, storing one, drinking from the other then tossing it 3/4 full. Lots of at least half full bottles lying around.
Hard to train for a race in the sun when you don't get a lot through winter!
psych1975
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby cauld on Sun 1/Nov/09 9:06pm

Did 3hr 8min in the end for the K1 which I was reasonably stoked with (33rd in age class).

I didn't really have any idea what I was doing and was started in the last group (the 4hr+ group) which meant I solo'd more than I probably should have.

Back next year for a serious crack at K1 methinks.
cauld
"God Botherer Botherer"

Postby thekiwi on Sun 1/Nov/09 9:06pm

Roma wrote:
thekiwi wrote: but that was cruel how it was a gentle head wind to Thames, and then as we turned to head back to Whitianga, it was a headwind again!

Only gripe, which I am going to email the organizers about, would have to be how the first two aid stations ran out of bottles very quickly. 6.30+ riders might not be out for the win but everyone is trying for a PB and we all paid the same entry fee so should be entitled to the same level of aid. Surely more than 300 bottles wouldn't have been such an extra burden logistically. I don't recall aid stations running short of bottles in the past years I've done the event so can only assume it's due to the 'no support vehicles' clause.

Yea thought that was a bit rough ... especially when you consider that those grabbing them in the first groups are actually going to need less fluid as they are out there for a shorter period of time. Would have been near impossible for some if the ended up not getting anything for the trip.
I was totally coffudled at the supposed water stop before Thames. Saw the sign for water, had half a bottle left but thought what better than to replace with a new one. So tossed my bottle at the entrance to the bottle area for no one to be passing anythign out ... appeared it was a water "filling" area or something ... and didn't have the option to stop. So had to ride all the way to the top of Kopu-Hikuai with nothing. Was damn nearly passing out at the top. Other bottle was concentrated Perpetuem which was a bit too strong to drink by itself.
thekiwi
"A bad day of riding beats a good day at the office"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby twinshock750 on Sun 1/Nov/09 10:27pm

Yeah, keen to hear more reports !

Circumstances took me out of the ride this year (travel) and I was coming back from Taupo yesterday in the car and it was still light - looking at the hills thinking "if only"!

Al
twinshock750
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts