Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby thekiwi on Sun 26/Jul/09 8:49am

psyclist wrote:As far as fluids go, I started K2 last year with two bottles and picked up leppin and water drink bottles along the way from the helpers. I think I drank too much prior to the race cause I needed a piss after about two hours, but I didn't want to lose the bunch I was in. I was able to take a leak when we got held up by the crash. It is a very well organised event, and I am going back for another attempt this year.

Mental note to self ... feed you up on more drink pre race ... might be able to beat you then! :D
thekiwi
User avatar
"A bad day of riding beats a good day at the office"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby Muzza on Tue 4/Aug/09 5:34pm

12 more weeks of training before K2.

If you have not entered, something to consider before entering is your estimated time. Before entering check the start procedure page for break/group information. Therefore when you enter estimated time, you can enter a time to put you in the break/group you want to leave with. For example one break is for riders with estimated time of 6:45-6:59 and the next is 7-7:30. Rounding time up or down to nearest 1/2 hour in time estimate may put you in wrong group.
Muzza
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby KieranC on Tue 4/Aug/09 6:29pm

has any one that's completed the k2 also done the whaka100? did you have similar times/pain suffering in each event? if I did 6:08 on the whaka without much pain, would I be able to go sub 6 on k2? I'm also stronger and will be fitter than I was for the whaka.
KieranC
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby sifter on Wed 5/Aug/09 10:07am

That comparison with Ventoux is ridiculous!!!! :lol:

I'd like to do this ride someday, but getting up there from Wellington is a bit of a mission...
sifter
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby ilikebutter on Wed 5/Aug/09 2:28pm

KieranC wrote:has any one that's completed the k2 also done the whaka100? did you have similar times/pain suffering in each event? if I did 6:08 on the whaka without much pain, would I be able to go sub 6 on k2? I'm also stronger and will be fitter than I was for the whaka.


Can you really do the whaka 100 without much pain?

A mate did 6.20 on whaka and just over 6 on K2 so woulda thought you would be under the 6hr mark, he thinks whaka is harder than K2.
ilikebutter
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby KieranC on Wed 5/Aug/09 10:37pm

ilikebutter wrote:
KieranC wrote:has any one that's completed the k2 also done the whaka100? did you have similar times/pain suffering in each event? if I did 6:08 on the whaka without much pain, would I be able to go sub 6 on k2? I'm also stronger and will be fitter than I was for the whaka.


Can you really do the whaka 100 without much pain?

A mate did 6.20 on whaka and just over 6 on K2 so woulda thought you would be under the 6hr mark, he thinks whaka is harder than K2.


Cheers, i might have to give it a whirl then. I could have done the whaka without much pain but I tried to go sub 6 with 7km left :blush: .
KieranC
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby Muzza on Wed 26/Aug/09 11:02am

10 weeks to K2.

The suggested 9 week training program kicks in next week, which I am basing my training round.
Muzza
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby tricks121 on Thu 27/Aug/09 2:14pm

Muzza wrote:10 weeks to K2.

The suggested 9 week training program kicks in next week, which I am basing my training round.


Is that on the website?

I'm planning on going on, I'm not planning on going fast, but I'm planning on giving it a good. good training for Ironman apparently ...

I did IM on 5.49 - should that mean (being it's so hilly) that I should aim for about 7-7.5? :blink:
tricks121
User avatar
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby Muzza on Thu 27/Aug/09 5:57pm

Yes, the program is on K2 site and located under training. Sorry, I cannot help on time comparison.
Muzza
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby cauld on Thu 3/Sep/09 10:58am

So I just signed up for K1.

Shouldn't be too hard... myhill repeat session on Makra saddle are usually 800m-1000m total ascent and Koopu hill is only 4% average gradient..

Too much travel make training time hard to come by.

[Update]
Fixed
Last edited by cauld on Thu 3/Sep/09 12:22pm, edited 2 times in total.
cauld
User avatar
"God Botherer Botherer"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby Conners on Thu 3/Sep/09 11:10am

cauld wrote:So I just signed up for K1.

Shuln't b too hard... myhill reeat session on Makra saddle are usually 800m-1000m otal ascentand Koopu hill is ny 4% average gradient..

Too much rael make trainin time hard to come by.

I hink you eed o lean our eyboard Chris!
Conners
User avatar
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby Muzza on Mon 26/Oct/09 7:57pm

So who is doing k2 or k1 this weekend?

It will be my first k2 and looking forwarding forward to it. My training has gone well, but the prove will be how well I get round the peninsula.
Muzza
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby Oli on Mon 26/Oct/09 8:21pm

Go Muzza! You'll do great, I'm sure. :thumbsup:
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby thekiwi on Tue 27/Oct/09 9:19am

Muzza wrote:So who is doing k2 or k1 this weekend?

It will be my first k2 and looking forwarding forward to it. My training has gone well, but the prove will be how well I get round the peninsula.


Hope you enjoy it. Forecast doesnt look too crash hot, possibly a Southerly
thekiwi
User avatar
"A bad day of riding beats a good day at the office"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Re: Anyone Doing K2? Prep Tips Etc Needed.

Postby sifter on Tue 27/Oct/09 12:04pm

Oli wrote:Go Muzza! You'll do great, I'm sure. :thumbsup:


w0rd! Have fun!
sifter
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts

Who is online

54 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Scotty and 51 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Torpedo7
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle