Anybody Want An Angleset?

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 28th Apr 5:41pm

I'm doing an order from works components soon.

Lemme know if you want oi.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Re: Anybody Want An Angleset?

Postby Conners on Fri 28th Apr 9:20pm

Dammit every time you do this you get me thinking...!
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 29th Apr 1:50pm

Just doooooo eeeeeeeet
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby Conners on Sat 29th Apr 3:39pm

I will have to have a measure up and see what I need.
Do you happen to know off the top of your head what actual headset type/style my
07 Trance would have? I'm always confused by all the different types when I look into this...
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 29th Apr 3:50pm

07... straight steerer?
shmoodiver

Postby Conners on Sat 29th Apr 4:15pm

Yip. Sorry this was the worst question ever - I will take some photos rather than muck you around
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby el_booto on Sat 29th Apr 4:17pm

it's a ZS44, i am well familiar with 06/7/8 maestro frames

i don't want an angleyset shmoo, but i'd kinda be tempted by a reach adjust dealie...

what's the deal on pricing?
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 29th Apr 4:20pm

Zs44 you would need to go to an external cup upper for up to 1.5° and external upper and lower for 2°
shmoodiver

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 29th Apr 4:21pm

$110 for reach adjust.
shmoodiver

Postby Conners on Sat 29th Apr 4:24pm

Ha - youse beat me to it. Cheers.
As you can see I've got a bit of stack height to play with so shouldn't be a problem going external.
Size large too so head tube is pretty long, and I guess that comes into what angle you can run.
I'm running a 120mm fork compared with the stock 100mm, so I will have a crack at measuring my actual head angle and get back to you.
IMG_6959.JPG
IMG_6960.JPG
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 29th Apr 4:35pm

Go full retard. 2° if you can. But yeah measure your ht length and get back to me.
shmoodiver

Postby Conners on Sun 30th Apr 2:46pm

Hmmmm, HT is 150mm (149.7 when I get the vernier on there). That's the actual head tube itself, not including the internal cups that you can just see the edge of in the photos above.

If I'm reading the Works Components site correctly, it looks like I'm limited to 1.0 degree with such an insanely long head tube? (I'm picking that this is what I'd need http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/10-deg ... -148-p.asp )

As best as I can measure (using my phone) my head angle is currently 69 degrees.
Wondering if going a single degree is really going to be worth it??

Should I consider facing 1mm off top and bottom to squeeze down to 148mm which is the upper limit of the 1.5 degree model ( http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/15-deg ... -131-p.asp ) ? (How much would normally be taken off when facing a head tube?
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 30th Apr 5:52pm

Couple a thou.... Just enough to make it square.

Insert depth is 9mm too I remember them early giants having quite shallow cup seats. I have a 44mm zs/ec reamer, I'll check to see how deep it will cut tomorrow.

No reason why you can cut a few mm off tho, done it to plenty of road and track frames. Just that insert depth.
shmoodiver

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sun 30th Apr 6:39pm

Conners wrote:Wondering if going a single degree is really going to be worth it??

Yes.
Got a 1° in the Trailstar, had it in the 5spot previously. Is good.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Conners on Sun 30th Apr 7:39pm

Yeah thought of insert depth just after I posted that...
Don't really want to get into any serious frame faffing.

Any idea how critical their specs are on headtube length?
I figure that within each of their 10mm steps there will be varying (minor) misalignment between the bearings already - would running a 148mm max setup in a 150mm head tube actually be a real problem? I'm picking yes, as they have their specs for a reason - but I might flick them an email and see what they have to say.

Velocipedestrian wrote:
Conners wrote:Wondering if going a single degree is really going to be worth it??

Yes.
Got a 1° in the Trailstar, had it in the 5spot previously. Is good.

Nice - cheers for that.

Think I'm going to have to start a separate thread on short stems and wide bars now too rather than continuing to hijack this one.
Conners
"Seeing Double"

#Enduro | Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts