Any Mountain Bike Tracks Near Levin

Postby Nathan007 on Thu 17/Oct/13 8:12pm

Moving up by Levin and wondering is there is any tracks in the Levin/Otaki area?
Cheers
Nathan007
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Any Mountain Bike Tracks Near Levin

Postby musta on Thu 17/Oct/13 8:23pm

http://www.mmbc.co.nz/tracks

There is some downhill tracks on the hill right next to Levin.
Secondary School champs used to be held there as well, so there may still be an XC loop as well.
musta
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Nathan007 on Thu 17/Oct/13 8:52pm

Thanks for that. Kohitere Forest looks to be the closest I can find without heading too far away.
Looking for more XC than downhill.
Nathan007
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby daveyboy on Thu 17/Oct/13 9:31pm

Kohitere forest can be a fine XC loop, there is a single track climb, a few tracks along the top and non-gnarly track back down across the road from the DH track. A better ride is K-loop in Palmy, but that is a bit further away. Check the DOC stuff too, I believe they are running trials for access on a few tracks closer to Palmy.
daveyboy
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 18/Oct/13 7:14am

daveyboy wrote:Kohitere forest can be a fine XC loop, there is a single track climb, a few tracks along the top and non-gnarly track back down across the road from the DH track. A better ride is K-loop in Palmy, but that is a bit further away. Check the DOC stuff too, I believe they are running trials for access on a few tracks closer to Palmy.

Don't forget the shannon dams, as well as Mount Thompson, down Otaki way
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby Jono on Fri 18/Oct/13 8:01am

pushbikerider wrote:
daveyboy wrote:Kohitere forest can be a fine XC loop, there is a single track climb, a few tracks along the top and non-gnarly track back down across the road from the DH track. A better ride is K-loop in Palmy, but that is a bit further away. Check the DOC stuff too, I believe they are running trials for access on a few tracks closer to Palmy.

Don't forget the shannon dams, as well as Mount Thompson, down Otaki way

Yep - some damned fine back-country singletrack out there. Link them together the right way and you can find your way to the backside of the hill with the DH trails on them. I've definitely got to get back there again at some point over summer.
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 17 years 11 months

Postby ryda on Fri 18/Oct/13 10:07am

daveyboy wrote:Kohitere forest can be a fine XC loop, there is a single track climb, a few tracks along the top and non-gnarly track back down across the road from the DH track.
I had heard the forest had been sold and closed ?
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Bascule on Fri 18/Oct/13 11:33am

ryda wrote:
daveyboy wrote:Kohitere forest can be a fine XC loop, there is a single track climb, a few tracks along the top and non-gnarly track back down across the road from the DH track.
I had heard the forest had been sold and closed ?

We did the Kohitere tracks for the first time about three weeks ago - there's no signage or notices about the area being closed.

Kurt's Track starts a couple of hundred metres on the left from the gate, is a decent upper-level intermediate climb but was VERY slippery in places owing to wet pine needles over clay, particularly on the switchbacks (of which there are many). We trickled around a tight singletrack that runs parallel to the access road at the top, and then came down Gardener, which is a grade 4 descent when wet but looks like it would be a lot of fun when dry. The loop back to the bottom of the park was really boggy and unrideable in places.

We'll go back and have another go in summer when the tracks are dry. There's a bit of signage, and I'd suggest taking a map to find the descents - apparently Southend Cycles just south of the traffic lights in the town centre can help.
Bascule
"It's not rocket science."
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Levin | Lower North Island | Manawatu | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts