Re: Any Audiophiles In The House?

Postby Lynskey on Fri 10/Sep/10 6:29pm

Alrighty - cheers for the advice, I shall test and choose wisely.

Any other model recommendations?
Lynskey
"Ah yes the tossers certainly come out late at night.."
Member for: 5 years 2 months

Postby danose on Fri 10/Sep/10 6:33pm

Lynskey wrote:Alrighty - cheers for the advice, I shall test and choose wisely.

Any other model recommendations?

listen to a few other brands at the same price levev - just like speakers what "sounds good" is extremely personal
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby danose on Fri 10/Sep/10 6:36pm

and to all the "mp3 or aac isn't worth decent headphones" people - if you've got a late model ipod you should tr apple lossless encoding
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby handy-andy on Fri 10/Sep/10 7:12pm

I have a set of Sennheiser HD 205's - I've been very happy with them. Can be had for around $100 on Tardme.
handy-andy
Member for: 6 years 8 months

Postby phunk on Fri 10/Sep/10 7:43pm

I love my Grado SR80's, cant say ive tried Sennheiser to compare, but fantastic sound.
phunk
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby cpaassens on Fri 10/Sep/10 7:44pm

handy-andy wrote:I have a set of Sennheiser HD 205's - I've been very happy with them. Can be had for around $100 on Tardme.

I agree, I too have a pair of HD 205's that I love, I use them with my iphone and also for DJing, they go real good!! :music:
cpaassens
"Where am I?"
Member for: 6 years 5 months

Postby jeyboi on Fri 10/Sep/10 8:21pm

wuffy wrote:Skull candys, unless you're buying the big DJ 180+ ones, i wouldn't touch them, they've got an awesome guarantee, but they break within a few weeks, maybe a month. I hate them. I've replaced every set i've got and just sold them on.

sound like crank brothers for your ears :D
jeyboi
Member for: 4 years 5 months

Postby stiffeeslicker on Fri 10/Sep/10 8:25pm

I would go for AKG personally. They have a good range of smaller headphones and also the good Hifi ones which start with the K512 at about $90, better than Sennheiser in my opinion. Also not too bulky.
stiffeeslicker
"Intentional, apparently."
Member for: 5 years 0 months

Postby sifter on Fri 10/Sep/10 8:30pm

I think I have the Sennheiser HD 448s - I got these from JB Hifi and have been very very pleased with them. Beautiful sound, and they've kept my ears warm on many a winter stroll...

edit: looks like $175 new on trademe...
sifter
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby northernmonkey on Fri 10/Sep/10 8:37pm

Another vote for Grado's. SR80's or SR60's which are a bit cheaper. the SR80's are better value though. If you want some to go in your ear then these get fantastic reviews on the headphone stereo forums.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Home-audio/Headphones/auction-316373711.htm

Stay clear of cheap sennheisers, anything bose or skull candy, lot's of fake senheisers around by the way so carefull buying off TM.

FYI I'm a pretty heavy user of headphones and my main music system is headphone specific so have reasonably broad experience with whats out there, my money would be on the grado's at that price point... Just wait for some to come up on TM, they do so fairly frequently...
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby wuffy on Fri 10/Sep/10 8:39pm

cpaassens wrote:
handy-andy wrote:I have a set of Sennheiser HD 205's - I've been very happy with them. Can be had for around $100 on Tardme.

I agree, I too have a pair of HD 205's that I love, I use them with my iphone and also for DJing, they go real good!! :music:

You can Dirt jump headphones?!?

:paranoid:
wuffy
Member for: 5 years 2 months

Postby northernmonkey on Fri 10/Sep/10 8:40pm

wuffy wrote:
cpaassens wrote:

You can Dirt jump headphones?!?

:paranoid:

only if your Radcore...
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby mark2c on Fri 10/Sep/10 10:18pm

I'd steer clear of audiophiles - generally a bunch of tossers.

Having spent a lot of time in broadcasting and technology I'd advise either anyone seeking their advise to either:
1) get a frontal lobotomy or
2) read this article: http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/10-01-06#feature. It is spot on.

Monster cable OFC etc is all a scam.

Take in your favorite music and listen plus check out the comfort/weight etc.

Finally, if you listen in noisy environments (bus/train/office etc) then do consider noise canceling headphones as this improves the signal to noise ratio and means that you don't have to turn the music up so loud. Plenty of people are permanently damaging their hearing doing this....

HTH
mark2c
Member for: 7 years 2 months

Postby nzmja on Sat 11/Sep/10 8:38am

Shure e2c's - I have had them for 5+ years and still comfortable on a long haul to London or commute on ze bus.

But in-ear so you wouldn't want them....
nzmja
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sat 11/Sep/10 11:32am

Sennheiser HD202 - very good bang for buck, I have a set [also a set of HD212s - very similar, slightly wider frequency response]

the human range of hearing is 20Hz - 20KHz, the closer you can get to this in speaker/headphone response, the truer the sound you will hear...
lots of headphones claim to start around 20Hz - it's a lie, small speakers can't really push the serious bass - just strap a sub to your bike if you NEED the doof doof.

the HD202 is comfy, cheap and good, can't go wrong...

HTH
Velocipedestrian
"Rollin' on a Massive Attack"
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts