Re: Anti-cycle People On Tm Message Board

Postby nostromo on Wed 28/Oct/09 12:01am

Dodgy_Matt wrote:
Oli wrote:Matt, I totally agree that 5 abreast is stupid and it sounds like you were dealing with some cocks. But you were asking about two abreast, and my point is that that is legal.

As for the Placemakers "bikepath" - it's a death trap. The only good thing about it is all the bike repairs it provides Wellington bike shops as the poor noobs are driven over by the people pulling into Placemakers, or swinging into and out of the carparks alongside the buildings. That is if they aren't shoved into the lamposts that dot the footpath at random intervals. Riding singlefile is bad enough, there's no way you could ride two abreast.

I too try and get out of car's way, but I won't get off the road just because they don't want me there. Fuck that.

.. the issue i have with 5 abreast up Mt vic is that they were a bunch of "well known" welly roadies and they do it every time...

Slightly 'dicky'.
But when all is said and done, how major a problem is it..really? I mean if you took an actual watch out and measured how long you were delayed would it be..5 seconds..10 maybe?
So?
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby istepinyards on Wed 28/Oct/09 12:02am

Dodgy_Matt wrote:
Oli wrote:Matt, I totally agree that 5 abreast is stupid and it sounds like you were dealing with some cocks. But you were asking about two abreast, and my point is that that is legal.

As for the Placemakers "bikepath" - it's a death trap. The only good thing about it is all the bike repairs it provides Wellington bike shops as the poor noobs are driven over by the people pulling into Placemakers, or swinging into and out of the carparks alongside the buildings. That is if they aren't shoved into the lamposts that dot the footpath at random intervals. Riding singlefile is bad enough, there's no way you could ride two abreast.

I too try and get out of car's way, but I won't get off the road just because they don't want me there. Fuck that.

.. the issue i have with 5 abreast up Mt vic is that they were a bunch of "well known" welly roadies and they do it every time...
If they are that well know as you have said, maybe contact the club they are associated with and have a word to them.
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby Dodgy_Matt on Wed 28/Oct/09 12:09am

nostromo wrote:
Dodgy_Matt wrote:

Slightly 'dicky'.
But when all is said and done, how major a problem is it..really? I mean if you took an actual watch out and measured how long you were delayed would it be..5 seconds..10 maybe?
So?

Dude imagine if you will coming down the road around the corner at the top of Hawlker street in a truck doing 40kmh and find 1 or 2 bikes in your lane.... and then think about applying the brakes so as not to kill them and not being able to stop in time and do end up killing them..
Why is it down to a timed in convenience in your eyes? 5 - 10 seconds or someones life?
What if I saw the fuckwits in my lane coming toward me and the car behind does not ... that is a steep bit of road...
Dodgy_Matt
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Dodgy_Matt on Wed 28/Oct/09 12:10am

nostromo wrote:Slightly 'dicky'.
So?

And you wonder why other road users hate cyclists?
Dodgy_Matt

Postby tiredofrubbish on Wed 28/Oct/09 12:13am

What my partner drives or where my partner works is none of your business. And personally bringing him into this is disgusting..
If you have something to say to me then you dam well say it to me and do not bring him into this.
But then again this MB seems just as childish as the TM one and instead of debating the subject you want to poke your noses in to other peoples business.
tiredofrubbish
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby nostromo on Wed 28/Oct/09 12:13am

Dodgy_Matt wrote:
So?

Just asking an actual question - I was not being rhetorical. Feel free to explain.
nostromo

Postby Dodgy_Matt on Wed 28/Oct/09 12:16am

nostromo wrote:
Dodgy_Matt wrote:
So?

Just asking an actual question - I was not being rhetorical. Feel free to explain.

Read the post before this one.....
Dodgy_Matt

Postby nostromo on Wed 28/Oct/09 12:18am

Dodgy_Matt wrote:
nostromo wrote:
Dodgy_Matt wrote:

Slightly 'dicky'.
So?

Dude imagine if you will coming down the road around the corner at the top of Hawlker street in a truck doing 40kmh and find 1 or 2 bikes in your lane.... and then think about applying the brakes so as not to kill them and not being able to stop in time and do end up killing them..
Why is it down to a timed in convenience in your eyes? 5 - 10 seconds or someones life?
What if I saw the fuckwits in my lane coming toward me and the car behind does not ... that is a steep bit of road...

Oh true sorry didn't see this post. Man that is stupid I thought you meant 5 cyclists in front of you not on both sides of the road. Sheesh.
nostromo

Postby Oli on Wed 28/Oct/09 12:19am

tiredofrubbish wrote:What my partner drives or where my partner works is none of your business. And personally bringing him into this is disgusting..
If you have something to say to me then you dam well say it to me and do not bring him into this.
But then again this MB seems just as childish as the TM one and instead of debating the subject you want to poke your noses in to other peoples business.
Just for your information, the thread had died before YOU dredged it up. If you hadn't said anything no one would have been the wiser.
Oli
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Oli on Wed 28/Oct/09 12:22am

Get real, Matt. The road users who hate cyclists do anyway. Your anecdote can be matched by a thousand similar incidents where motorists have behaved just as bad, only the details and/or results differ. Are you angry because they held you up or your deep concern for their safety?
Oli

Postby Oli on Wed 28/Oct/09 12:38am

And just before I turn in for the night, I'd like to see a car or truck drivers forum where fellow drivers were saying, "If you didn't pass them so close they wouldn't all hate us..." or "You are giving us a bad name calling them faggots just because they're riding a bike..."

Like that will ever happen, but it's what happens here.

At the risk of over-dramatising (and when have I ever done that? :paranoid: ) it's like the Jews who didn't want to make a fuss in case they upset the Nazis - they still got gassed.
Oli

Postby Fraser on Wed 28/Oct/09 3:21am

But roadies aren't helping the situation. There are non cyclists in WCC ánd who don't mind the MTB/DH punters as they do track building even if it is symbolic.
Have you guys ever thought of resealing a favourite route in super smooth black asphalt rather than suffer with coarse chip?
The 1m next to the curb. They do this in Europe alot. You get a nice smooth ride :cool: and it makes bunches less popular as you have to ride on the coarse chip.
Fraser
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Wed 28/Oct/09 5:48am

Fraser wrote:But roadies aren't helping the situation. There are non cyclists in WCC ánd who don't mind the MTB/DH punters as they do track building even if it is symbolic.
Have you guys ever thought of resealing a favourite route in super smooth black asphalt rather than suffer with coarse chip?
The 1m next to the curb. They do this in Europe alot. You get a nice smooth ride :cool: and it makes bunches less popular as you have to ride on the coarse chip.

:) Good point.

I’m forever ringing the Waitakere council about potholes and glass (mainly) on the road and the Rodney council about potholes(mainly). If you Roadies want to ride good roads I think you have a responsibility to do the same in your area. Call it Track-maintaining… =}
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Fraser on Wed 28/Oct/09 6:29am

35 bucks gets you a bag of 20kg cold asphalt delivered to your door anywhere in NZ.
Fraser
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Wed 28/Oct/09 6:37am

Fraser wrote:35 bucks gets you a bag of 20kg cold asphalt delivered to your door anywhere in NZ.

Good to know but I'll stick with the door mat :p
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Kapiti Coast | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington Region - Latest Posts