Another Newby To Nz..

Postby natas on Thu 16/Jul/09 9:54pm

Just moved here from Dallas, I know I know, "steers and queers". Let's go ahead and get that out of the way.. ;) Living in temporary housing with the in-laws right now until I get settled so I need some ride time to stay sane. Bikes are a Salsa cross country and a Surly SS. Oh yeah, a road bike as well. I live at the base of the Port Hills off of Bowenvale so I guess I'm in a good area when the trails dry. Also need a job..
natas
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Re: Another Newby To Nz..

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Thu 16/Jul/09 9:55pm

Welcome to Vorb and NZ. :)
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Trail on Fri 17/Jul/09 9:02am

natas wrote:Just moved here from Dallas, I know I know, "steers and queers". Let's go ahead and get that out of the way.. ;) Living in temporary housing with the in-laws right now until I get settled so I need some ride time to stay sane. Bikes are a Salsa cross country and a Surly SS. Oh yeah, a road bike as well. I live at the base of the Port Hills off of Bowenvale so I guess I'm in a good area when the trails dry. Also need a job..

Welcome.

You know I had not heard the "Steers and queers" line, but I am sure if I meet you that I will use it now :D

All the 4wd tracks up the hills are still open if you need to ride. Plenty of mud etc on Worsleys :sly: Yep. Bowenvale is a great place to live once the tracks dry out a bit! I take it you have found the map with the trails up the hill and which ones are open, closed or otherwise?? http://www.ccc.govt.nz/cycling/TracksRi ... tHills.asp

Bottle Lake forest on the other side of town can ok for a bit of fun in a flat sandy forest on a SS. At least it is singletrack.

What sort of work are you looking for
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby tylersdad on Fri 17/Jul/09 10:43am

Trail, you need to watch a few more movies.

Full Metal Jacket -

":Only two things come from Texas boy, steers and queers, so which one are you."

or,
"Bet you don't even have the decency to give him a reach-around".

Anyway, welcome to NZ.
tylersdad
"Meh !!!!"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 17/Jul/09 11:04am

morning natas, diggin the dogtown hook.

kaupas FTW!!!
powell-logo9.jpg
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby Trail on Fri 17/Jul/09 11:23am

tylersdad wrote:Trail, you need to watch a few more movies.

Full Metal Jacket -

":Only two things come from Texas boy, steers and queers, so which one are you."

or,

Anyway, welcome to NZ.

Will watching full metal jacket really enrich my life by that much?? I dont feel the need to watch more movies... especially not ones that sounds as dark and depressing as that one!
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 17/Jul/09 11:25am

gnar, platoon is a way better war movie
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby RussS on Fri 17/Jul/09 11:30am

Howdy pardner
RussS
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby RJD on Fri 17/Jul/09 12:34pm

Welcome to Chch mate!
RJD
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby natas on Fri 17/Jul/09 12:54pm

Trail...Thanks for the tip on the website. I've been here several times so I've ridden the port hills before so I know my way around up there a bit but I'll check the site out for conditions and such. Also, I worked as a Field Service Engineer in Texas but that doesn't really translate to much around here so anything in the technical field is an option for now. I met with a recruiter this morning and he painted a pretty dismal picture.

If anybody is doing any group rides this w/e, drop me an invite at kwaldropatymaildotcom.

BTW, what's the best beers of choice. I'm diggin the Monteith's dark right now.

kw
Last edited by natas on Fri 17/Jul/09 1:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
natas
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby danose on Fri 17/Jul/09 12:57pm

natas wrote:Also, I worked as a Field Service Engineer in Texas but that doesn't really translate to much around here so anything in the technical field is an option for now. I met with a recruiter this morning and he painted a pretty dismal picture.

don't believe the hype - there's plenty of tech jobs going in chch (I know of a few places hiring - all it/elec though, dunno what it's like in the mech field), but I suspect less and less are using recruiters (easy way to cut costs and also stop having to wade thru a pile of not really suitable applicants the recruiter has sent your way).
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby RJD on Fri 17/Jul/09 1:03pm

natas wrote:BTW, what's the best beers of choice. I'm diggin the Monteith's dark right now.

kw

I may be heading out this weekend but not sure whats gona be open (or what I'l be up for!)

Beer - IMO the Twisted Hop does the best real ale in Christchurch.

Bottled look for Emersons, anything, its all good, Epic (brewery) is great too, Wigram brewery is improving and OK, Three boys is OK, Green mans stout is nice too.
RJD
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Fri 17/Jul/09 1:03pm

Welcome dude, for all things beer, go here.
search.php?t=68720&sf=msg_only&keywords=%2Bbeer++%2Bthread++
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby tylersdad on Fri 17/Jul/09 1:07pm

Trail wrote:
tylersdad wrote:Trail, you need to watch a few more movies.

Full Metal Jacket -

or,

Anyway, welcome to NZ.

Will watching full metal jacket really enrich my life by that much?? I dont feel the need to watch more movies... especially not ones that sounds as dark and depressing as that one!

depends if you like war movies. its based around the marine corps training before going to war (vietnam) and hence the reference to the bullet used in the rifles. 7.62 millimetre full metal jacket.

"this is my rifle, this is my gun, this is for killing , this is for fun"

the memories of yesteryear.
tylersdad
"Meh !!!!"

Postby poledo on Fri 17/Jul/09 1:16pm

shmoodiver wrote:morning natas, diggin the dogtown hook.

kaupas FTW!!!

Did Natas ever ride for Powell? Pretty sure he was on Santa Monica airlines, later 101 then Element? Old school trainspotter here!
poledo
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Cycling | New User Introductions | Sifting | Vorb - Latest Posts