Re: Another Lbs Closing -vic Cycles

Postby steak and cheese on Fri 5/Oct/12 12:43am

Oli wrote:That's awful news. How come it's always the good ones that go when there are so many others doing a much shitter job? All the best to Bruce and the crew. :(

It's often the fault of the local distributors (some are good, but several are diabolical).

If I can buy things from overseas retailers for considerably less than the local wholesale price, why would I go to my LBS and pay retail unless it is an emergency?
steak and cheese
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Fri 5/Oct/12 8:47am

steak and cheese wrote:
Oli wrote:That's awful news. How come it's always the good ones that go when there are so many others doing a much shitter job? All the best to Bruce and the crew. :(

It's often the fault of the local distributors (some are good, but several are diabolical).

If I can buy things from overseas retailers for considerably less than the local wholesale price, why would I go to my LBS and pay retail unless it is an emergency?

Pointing the finger at a single link in the supply chain (especially in a small market like NZ) is naive. This might not be the thread for a(nother) "LBS vs. Online" argument.
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby piwakawaka on Fri 5/Oct/12 8:57am

Hmmm what did you buy from wiggle today?
piwakawaka
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby tcr on Fri 5/Oct/12 9:43am

Stink balls.

The market is pretty well covered with LBS, and perhaps the emergence of large concept stores has pulled enough sales away to break those that were previously just viable.

Research shows that about 2.5% of retail purchases are on the internets. And only a third of this is overseas. Be interesting to see what the breakdown by category (eg cycling) was. My spend is probably 50/50 local/online.
tcr
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby thelivo on Fri 5/Oct/12 9:52am

tcr wrote:
and perhaps the emergence of large concept stores has pulled enough sales away to break those that were previously just viable.

God I hope not. Charging premium prices because its a "lifestyle store" with a cafe - seems a bit too apple-esque to me
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby cruiser on Fri 5/Oct/12 10:02am

At least the coffee's pretty good at iride.
cruiser
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby cruiser on Fri 5/Oct/12 10:22am

Hopefully the VIC guys all find their feet once the dust settles, I'm sure Bruce will find a silver lining to this - retail can be stressful.
cruiser
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby R+P+K on Fri 5/Oct/12 1:10pm

So, what's the deal with warranty issues? Do I just go to another Specialized dealer?
R+P+K
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby Owen on Fri 5/Oct/12 1:41pm

R+P+K wrote:So, what's the deal with warranty issues? Do I just go to another Specialized dealer?

Yup, as long as you have proof of purchase. You might have to pay shipping costs or for new parts that might not fit on newer replacement frames (changes like BB30, steerer tubes and axle sizes), as these costs are generally worn by the shop you purchased the bike from, rather than Specialized or some other such company. In the short time I spent at iRide they processed a fair number of warranty things from other shops or from other parts of the country. I imagine other specialized dealers would do the same.
Owen
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Postby Gavin on Tue 9/Oct/12 1:47pm

last day open this Fri the 12 Oct, bring in ya cake to say thanks to the staff? hehe :butbut:
Gavin
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby tcr on Tue 9/Oct/12 2:39pm

Are there many bikes left?
tcr
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby rilancaster on Tue 9/Oct/12 10:41pm

VIC cycles is the third bike shop to close down while I've been a customer .. First Pennies? and BikeHQ in Christchurch. Now VIC...

Sigh. Anyone got a bike shop they don't like? Maybe I should start going there :-(

Never did get to find out why it was V.I.C and not VIC - the guys there always made time even though I usually just called in for a gander..

Did feel more than a bit guilty last time I got my bike serviced.. the chain need replacing - Said I'd do it myself as I knew the handy old internet would be a cheaper for that sort of thing... Now where'll I get my trusty bike readied for my yearly Karapoti pilgramage?

Here's hoping they all land on their feet.
rilancaster
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Wed 10/Oct/12 7:46am

tcr wrote:Are there many bikes left?

None. Still worth a quick visit, as there are other bits and bobs (and staff!) to keep you occupied.
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby Conners on Wed 10/Oct/12 8:25am

Dr. Fuentes wrote:
tcr wrote:Are there many bikes left?

None. Still worth a quick visit, as there are other bits and bobs (and staff!) to keep you occupied.

Agreed - I picked up 5 bike hooks (decent quality ones which were used all around the shop/workwhop) for the garage for $15 each :thumbsup:
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby R+P+K on Wed 10/Oct/12 1:19pm

In the latest episode of the Spokesmen podcast, they discuss LBS's being run out of business by large chains and online sales.
R+P+K
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Lower Hutt | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Wellington Region - Latest Posts