Re: Aluminium Frame Welder... Christchurch???

Postby slowMTB on Fri 21/Aug/09 1:01pm

Try;

ChCh Engine Centre

Paul McMaster
NDT Team Leader
Materials Repair :thumbsup:

03 374 7034
021 056 8905
paul.mcmaster@pw.utc.com

Be discrete and there is a good chance he can help :paranoid:
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby Muz on Fri 21/Aug/09 3:33pm

tony_11 wrote:Not too sure whether Air NZ Engineering would do this..

Well, I decided to check and to be honest, it's not clear.
The nice lady I spoke to on the main engineering number I found (shown below), informed me that:
1) they definitely did do ad-hoc work in the past
2) she's not sure if they still do ad-hoc work now

Air New Zealand Engineering Services
634 Memorial Avenue Burnside Christchurch City Canterbury 8053
P O Box 14005
Christchurch Airport
(03) 3747000 Fax:(03) 3747668

Apparently you'll need to speak to someone in marketing - I really don't know why someone in marketing is the person you need to speak to for engineering work, but that's not the point.

The best place to start is apparently a guy named Trevor Lee, in marketing on 03 3747015.

You will need to clarify if they are still accepting ad-hoc jobs. They definitely used to, but they might not any more.
I would still recommend them over anyone else, until it's verified that they don't do it, as their standard of work is very, very high.

That's as much help as I'm going to offer...good luck and I hope you end up with a good job - whoever you end up with.
Muz
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby stiffeeslicker on Fri 21/Aug/09 4:04pm

Muz wrote:
That's as much help as I'm going to offer...good luck and I hope you end up with a good job - whoever you end up with.

Thanks Muz, way above the call of duty! Will get onto them myself and see what happens. At least it's been pants weather so I don't feel too bad about not riding!
stiffeeslicker
"Intentional, apparently."
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby yetiASR1 on Fri 6th Oct 10:59am

Boganizer wrote:Thorpe Engineering did a great job for us. Just off Blenheim Road?

I had a crack forming around the down tube / seat tube connection to the bottom bracket. I dropped this off at Thorpe today so will see how it goes when it comes back. For the note he has moved to Boundary Road out by Rangiora (https://yellow.co.nz/y/thorpe-engineering-dalgety). Indicative cost was $100. so if I get another year or 2 out of the frame not a bad investment I thought.
yetiASR1
Member for: 1 month 1 week

Postby dwgknz on Fri 6th Oct 11:24am

dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 6th Oct 1:31pm

Epic dredge, and correct response.

Vorb winning.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Dougal on Fri 6th Oct 8:46pm

yetiASR1 wrote:
Boganizer wrote:Thorpe Engineering did a great job for us. Just off Blenheim Road?

I had a crack forming around the down tube / seat tube connection to the bottom bracket. I dropped this off at Thorpe today so will see how it goes when it comes back. For the note he has moved to Boundary Road out by Rangiora (https://yellow.co.nz/y/thorpe-engineering-dalgety). Indicative cost was $100. so if I get another year or 2 out of the frame not a bad investment I thought.

What's the frame and what grade of aluminium?

A good welder is very important, but the good welder needs the right info to get a good long term result.
It's vital the welder uses the correct filler rod and then you need the correct heat treatment. Get it wrong and aluminium ends up with the impact strength of cardboard. Get it right and it's as strong as new.

7000 series just needs welded and then artificially aged (unless you want to leave it a year). 6000 series needs solution treated, quenched and then artifically aged.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Bicycle Repair | Canterbury | Christchurch | Cycling | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts