Alps To Ocean Logistics

Postby Rik on Mon 31st Jul 1:05pm

Does anyone know of any options for shuttle or other service for doing a one-way trip of the Alps to Ocean route?
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Re: Alps To Ocean Logistics

Postby jo on Mon 31st Jul 1:51pm

I think there was an operation based in Twizel.
http://www.cyclejourneys.co.nz/

Id suggest parking in Oamaru and getting a shuttle up to the top of the ride. I have friends in the area so we got dropped near Braemar station for the start. Our ride then went fishing for the day before heading back to Oamaru.
Understand that starting at Mt Cook requires a helicopter ride over the Tasman River (and therefore more $).
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Rik on Tue 1st Aug 9:19am

jo wrote:I think there was an operation based in Twizel.
http://www.cyclejourneys.co.nz/

Id suggest parking in Oamaru and getting a shuttle up to the top of the ride. I have friends in the area so we got dropped near Braemar station for the start.

Yeah, this is what I'm interested in. Not interested in doing the (Expensive) Mt. Cook bit, just need some way of getting bikes and bodies from the car parked in Oamaru to as far up the Eastern side of the lake as poss.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby jo on Tue 1st Aug 9:40am

Yah, well, as you drive up the eastern side of the lake you realise you're just going to be riding the same road in reverse shortly you tend to lose your enthusiasm for going all the way to the Jollie carpark. :paranoid:
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts