Alexandra Road Is Closed Tomorrow Sunday 15 March

Postby lukenewguy on Sat 14/Mar/09 8:27pm

The main road (Alexandra Rd) up Mt Vic is closed for a motor sport sprint road from 6:30am till 7pm. Tracks are open so can be used but not where they run along the side of the road. Please, no roadies coming up, unless it is to watch and not ride. Please don't argue with the people in fluro vests as they are just doing their job and what they have been told to do. Should be a good day on the trails up there, but feel free to stop and watch as it is a spectator sport and we welcome visitors/viewers - just keep in mind that the marshals (fluro vests) are their for your safety, don't underestimate anything they say-motorsport is dangerous!.

big thanks from the
wellington car club.

feel free to ask any questions.
lukenewguy
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Re: Alexandra Road Is Closed Tomorrow Sunday 15 March

Postby Chickie on Sat 14/Mar/09 8:33pm

What time does the racing start?
Chickie
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby wachtourak on Sat 14/Mar/09 8:40pm

Motorsport event? Awesome! Had no idea this was happening. Where would you suggest as to be the best vantage points?
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby nostromo on Sat 14/Mar/09 8:53pm

wachtourak wrote:Motorsport event? Awesome! Had no idea this was happening. Where would you suggest as to be the best vantage points?

Theres a little concrete culvert poking out on the apex of a left hand corner about 100 metres short of the top where the road splits in two. You can sit on the bank above it.
When I did this event some years ago I clipped it with my wheel and ripped the side of my tyre out, I was lucky as it seems to send cars hurtling down off into the trees on a fairly regular basis so this might be a good place to sit!
Also the dipper or whatever it is where you cross the road in the Wild Wgtn relay see's its share of carnage.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby lukenewguy on Sat 14/Mar/09 9:35pm

Practice runs are due to start around 9.30am with the timed runs starting around 11.
There are many great vantage points with the dipper being the most popular. This can be accessed by walking up from the bottom of the hill (only takes a few minutes) or from some of the tracks. The easiest way is probably from the bottom as it is all taped and there will be marshals. Also the path doesn't go too close to the road. It is likely that you will not be allowed up the hill if you have bikes, and definitely won't be if you have a car.

Motorsport is dangerous!
Wellington Car Club
lukenewguy
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby Chickie on Sun 15/Mar/09 2:11pm

Watched until about 1.30. Saw a BMW go off the road :crazy:
Will have to keep my eyes peeled for the Shelley Bay sprints :thumbsup:
Chickie
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby wachtourak on Sun 15/Mar/09 2:25pm

Was up there for the first run, didn't see much happen. My mate got some photos though with his fancy camera, will have to see how they turned out. Got sick of standing round in the sun in a black t-shirt lol
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Joshguy01 on Mon 16/Mar/09 12:08pm

From a marshall and fellow cyclist, I'd just like to thank you guys for listening to marshalls and not complaining when told you couldn't go to particular spots, it made our job that much easier and nicer, especially as we are there to protect people, not because we think the orange vests look pretty! Up at the top at the finish line is a great place to watch if you come up next year, the hard chargers get very sideways coming out of the last corner. Next year we are planning on posting up some signs on trees etc on the riding tracks a week or two before hand, will probably post up on here asking for help, as its a little difficult for just two of us to do it ;)
As for Shelly Bay, will post up dates etc when we get road closures sorted out.

Oh and to the guy who I nearly took out yesterday on one of the trails while posting up signs, sorry again about being so short with you, was annoyed from dealing with *#$%ers who wouldn't listen and wasn't expecting you to be there. But to be honest, that track is fairly obviously ridden down more than up (the drops should make that obvious), not trying to bitch, just asking you to make yourself known on tracks like that if you are climbing. Oh, and no the Kona Stab isn't for sale, plus it's not mine to sell anyway :( at least, not yet... :D
Joshguy01
"My psychiatrist said I'm special"
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Lower North Island | Motoring | Motorsport | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts