Akatarawas Question

Postby dwgknz on Mon 14/Oct/13 10:11pm

Can anyone tell me what Perhams Road is like from the car park to the top of big ring boulevard? I'm looking for an easy ride for my stepfather who's been having chemo recently. Was hoping there was an easy ride from the car park we could take down then cut through to Campbell's Mill Road and down through Whareroa Farm. Aiming for a lot of descent and not much uphill.
dwgknz
Member for: 6 years 8 months

Re: Akatarawas Question

Postby Jono on Mon 14/Oct/13 10:19pm

Perhams sucks donkey balls. It's steep as a bastard, and has a couple of large descents that throw away all your hard earned vertical metres. Go up Campbells mill road (which you can do either from the maungakotukutuku valley or from whareroa farm (besides QE Park/Mackays crossing) - they're both reasonable from an up-and-back perspective, and there are some reasonable views.
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby dwgknz on Wed 16/Oct/13 11:09am

Thanks Jono, that closes down that idea. Not sure on his energy at the moment but leaving a car at the Whareroa car park then starting at the bottom of Campbell's Mill Road might be the key then. Gives options to carry on up into Akatawaras depending on how long he lasts with an easy roll home.
dwgknz
Member for: 6 years 8 months

Postby cruiser on Wed 16/Oct/13 1:37pm

yep, that's the one. Perhams is best done with a motor.

Apart from a few steep bits, Campbell Mills is only about 5% average gradient, feels like averages @ 7-8%. Plenty of upwards riding to be done, come back same way.
cruiser
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts