Akatarawa Attack Mountain Bike Orienteering

Postby JungleJim on Sat 17/Nov/07 10:29am

Those doing the Karapoti classic can get an early start by doing the Akattack this year.
It looks like 8 hours in the akas is to much for many. 80% of riders have opted for the 4 hour event.
Late entries are still being accepted, BUT you must contact the organisers as entry will be subject to availability of maps.

If you have entered and your name does NOT appear on the list please or you appear in the wrong category, please contact Michael Wood / Ph 04 566 2645 before the weekend
http://akattack.rhizome.net.nz/entries2008.aspx

You don't need a map to find this one. The 2008 start is at Karapoti Park in the Akatarawa Valley. From Wellington drive to Upper Hutt. In the suburb of Brown Owl, go left into "Akatarawa Road". After 5.5km NOTE the turnoff to Karapoti Valley on your left but don't take it. The park entrance is 300m further, also on your left.

The area is within the southern part of the Akatarawa Forest, between Battle Hill and the Akatarawa Valley. It won't go north beyond Orange Hut, and no you won't have to do a loop of the Karapoti (unless your name is sifter)

The "Attack" as its become known, heads into its third year in January. Every year the event has enticed more mountain bike riders and adventurers into the remote near wilderness of the Akatarawa ranges, north of Wellington. The official date for the 2008 event is Sunday January 27th. Its the same weekend as last year, so it should give more local riders the chance to join in the fun, and maybe entice a few Aucklanders to come down if they are not scared off by the hills.

Mountain bike orienteering is not like a normal race where every one heads around the same basically circular track 2 or 3 times. Yes, every one still get the same course map with all the tracks and various points of different values. You then have about an hour to plan the best route around the map, hopefully collecting as many points as you can on the way. A bit of clever planning and some good navigation can usually beat even the fastest riders. Even if winning is not the aim, you will still go home with a very detailed map of all the tracks in the area.

This year promises more of the same with great single track sections that very few Wellingtonians even know about or get a chance to ride. The area proposed for 2008, well that would be telling . . .

Still want to know more? visit the web site http://akattack.rhizome.net.nz/

Event Details
When : January 27th 2008
Where : Karapoti Parks, approximately 40 minutes from Wellington
Start Time : 8:30am for 8 hour, 12:00pm for 4 hour
Teams : 2, 3 or 4 persons
Entry : $ 50 ( 8 hr ) , $ 40 ( 4hr ) Includes detailed map and barbeque

late entries are available subject to maps. contact the organiser, Michael Wood / Ph 04 566 2645 if you are interested
Last edited by JungleJim on Wed 23/Jan/08 10:21pm, edited 2 times in total.
JungleJim
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Monolith on Tue 8/Jan/08 7:02am

sounds like a great event. Might see if I can find another keen person so I can enter :thumbsup:
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby ryda on Tue 8/Jan/08 8:00am

Monolith wrote: sounds like a great event. Might see if I can find another keen person so I can enter :thumbsup:

I though you were going to do that dark side event thats on the same day ? :paranoid:
ryda
"WTF"

Postby honeymonster on Tue 8/Jan/08 9:19am

yay!

I missed this for the last couple of years. MTBO/Rogaines are great.
honeymonster
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby JungleJim on Tue 8/Jan/08 9:32am

With the unfortunate demise of the Supernatural on the previous weekend, there should be no reason for Wellingtonians not to enter. It might even be good Karapoti training (but you won’t find out until 17th Jan when the start point is named)

Last year there were 3 early entries, this year there were more than 30 and we are expecting the bulk of the entries over the next two weeks. List of teams as they become available is posted here http://akattack.rhizome.net.nz/entries2008.aspx

Just last weekend the team checked out the geometry of more than 60 tracks ranging from a few hundred meters in length to a couple of km long and even a few I have never ridden before.

Enter the Akatarawa Attack now and receive the most comprehensive map of all the mountain bike tracks in the area, and a great day out on the bike.
JungleJim

Postby Monolith on Tue 8/Jan/08 12:00pm

ryda wrote:
Monolith wrote: sounds like a great event. Might see if I can find another keen person so I can enter :thumbsup:

I though you were going to do that dark side event thats on the same day ? :paranoid:

I still don't have a road bike... maybe by the end of the week, but who knows. :huh:

Anyway, I'm only getting it to commute to work :paranoid:
Monolith

Postby ryda on Tue 8/Jan/08 12:41pm

Monolith wrote: Anyway, I'm only getting it to commute to work

ok ;)
ryda
"WTF"

Postby JungleJim on Tue 8/Jan/08 12:58pm

You have the wrong bike for this event unless you can't read a map or get lost. It is all going to be 4wd and single track like the two previous years !
JungleJim

Postby Monolith on Tue 8/Jan/08 1:27pm

JungleJim wrote: You have the wrong bike for this event unless you can't read a map or get lost. It is all going to be 4wd and single track like the two previous years !

sense makes post that no.
Monolith

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Tue 8/Jan/08 1:44pm

Monolith wrote:
JungleJim wrote: You have the wrong bike for this event unless you can't read a map or get lost. It is all going to be 4wd and single track like the two previous years !

sense makes post that no.

I be thinking that he be thinking you be buying a bike of the road variety for this event, no??? :alien:
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby JungleJim on Tue 8/Jan/08 2:02pm

He didn't say where he worked and he could work in the Akatarawa ranges.
JungleJim

Postby sifter on Tue 8/Jan/08 5:14pm

Yeehaa!
sifter
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby JungleJim on Tue 8/Jan/08 5:25pm

I think your entry arrived on the 29th of Jan last year, along with an engraving tool
JungleJim

Postby Jim on Tue 8/Jan/08 5:50pm

Ohhh, be a roadie or play in the akas.

ummh, tougth choice.
Jim
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby Nick_K on Wed 16/Jan/08 3:47pm

Anyone looking for a team member for the 4hr?
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Cycling | Events - Latest Posts