Calendar Event: January 31, 2009

Re: Or: Akatarawa Attack 2009

Postby sifter on Mon 26/Jan/09 8:46am

Just had an email this morning from the organisers. Two maps, one at 1:15000 which will be an awesome resource for riding around the Battle Hill area. If you haven't seen one of Michael Wood's maps before, they are perfect! Just about every wiggle in the tracks are shown on the map! The other map's at 1:30000 and covers the whole area.

Don't forget your togs!
sifter
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby DaveAldred on Mon 26/Jan/09 10:21am

Wish Nicko and I had these maps for our excursion on Saturday. Instead we had an abundance of no maps. We did have a nice ride though and got to understand the 'lay of the land' a bit.

Riding the SS bikes up the Puketiro Loop climb was the devils work. I had to shower us with shame by walking a couple of pinches.

Togstastic.
DaveAldred
"Bushlove - Strictly Sifting"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby sifter on Mon 26/Jan/09 10:30am

DaveAldred wrote:Wish Nicko and I had these maps for our excursion on Saturday. Instead we had an abundance of no maps. We did have a nice ride though and got to understand the 'lay of the land' a bit.

Riding the SS bikes up the Puketiro Loop climb was the devils work. I had to shower us with shame by walking a couple of pinches.

Togstastic.

Does that loop go out to the flat section before Dopers Hill? Did you go clockwise or anticlockwise?
sifter

Re: Akatarawa Attack 2009

Postby Nick_K on Mon 26/Jan/09 10:38am

Was definatly hard work on the ss. The Puketiro loop wasa killer on the ss (although definatly doable) but once up there it wasn't so bad. We didn't head out as far as dopers hill although got a resonable feel for where things where. Found some bits of singletrack/degenerating logging trails but am sure the ak attack map will reveal a veritable treasue chest of new tracks. I'm sure Davo will write a blog post about our adventures no doubt filled with various lies.

Should be an awesome event.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Nick_K on Mon 26/Jan/09 10:40am

To answer your question we did the loop clockwise. Anticlockwise is considerably steeper.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"

Postby iodi on Mon 26/Jan/09 10:53am

I was also out that way on Saturday - mapped Puketiro Road which connects the top of Puketiro Loop with the Moonshine side of the hills via Cooks Road.

There are heaps of tracks that drop off Puketiro ridge (though most are deadends), including some sweet looking singletrack.
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby sifter on Mon 26/Jan/09 11:15am

iodi wrote:I was also out that way on Saturday - mapped Puketiro Road which connects the top of Puketiro Loop with the Moonshine side of the hills via Cooks Road.

There are heaps of tracks that drop off Puketiro ridge (though most are deadends), including some sweet looking singletrack.

I'm lost! :D :blush: Will need to look on the MTBO map... :crazy:
sifter

Postby Simonk on Mon 26/Jan/09 11:38am

Yes sirree - I'm looking forward to this event. The long range forecast is good, the tracks will no doubt range from hidden bliss to hideous, and it's that time of the year when I start to feel fit again.

Looks like the organisers are pulling out all the stops, yet again, to bring us a stirling day out.
Simonk
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Postby Simonk on Thu 29/Jan/09 1:11pm

Looks like the map might just include Dopers Hill and the Karapoti Challenge. There's some tiger country between there and Battle Hill.
Can't wait to see how much private land we'll get access to.
Simonk

Postby DaveAldred on Thu 29/Jan/09 1:17pm

Simon/Sifter - Hard to tell from your posts... do you have the maps yet? Sifter sounded like he had the maps, but of course without the controls on it. Did I not check my email properly?

I ran to work today, which has given me sore shanks with less than 48hrs to go. doh.

Mostly looking fwd to a warm day and a swim after. Woot! etc.
DaveAldred

Postby sifter on Thu 29/Jan/09 1:45pm

DaveAldred wrote:Simon/Sifter - Hard to tell from your posts... do you have the maps yet? Sifter sounded like he had the maps, but of course without the controls on it. Did I not check my email properly?

I ran to work today, which has given me sore shanks with less than 48hrs to go. doh.

Mostly looking fwd to a warm day and a swim after. Woot! etc.

We've just been looking at topo maps, and Akatarawa Attack maps from 2006 and 2008. The old controls are pretty distracting! Will be nice to get fresh maps at 7:30am on Saturday!
sifter

Postby Simonk on Thu 29/Jan/09 1:53pm

Hi Dave

Our guesstimate of the area is based on the clues Steve has dished out:
1:30,000 scale
Area from Battle Hill to Mt Wainui to Karapoti Valley

And it's usually an A3 map

The one other thing to look out for if you try to slap a rectangle on a topomap is that the MTBO maps are lined up with magnetic north.
Simonk

Postby DaveAldred on Thu 29/Jan/09 1:57pm

Lol. Will be nice to start thinking about rolling out of bed for a coffee whilst you perve your new maps.

Nicko and I are poorly prepared at best. My gucci clip board isn't even ziptied on yet. Needs moar pimping :cool:

I was glad the MTBO maps are corrected for mag nth. keeps things simple. I saw the tip on the range. I think my prep will extend to google earth and imagining a line across the hills. I imagine google earth will give me a really good appreciation for the various smaller forest trails....

cheers chaps.
DaveAldred

Postby Nick_K on Thu 29/Jan/09 3:04pm

DaveAldred wrote:Nicko and I are poorly prepared at best. My gucci clip board isn't even ziptied on yet. Needs moar pimping :cool:

Get your shit sorted Aldred.

I found the topos of the area to be not much help. I forgot about my 08 Akattack maps, will dig them out for a look although I don't think they will extend far enough over to battle hill to help us 4hr racers.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"

Postby sifter on Thu 29/Jan/09 3:08pm

Nick_K wrote:
DaveAldred wrote:Nicko and I are poorly prepared at best. My gucci clip board isn't even ziptied on yet. Needs moar pimping :cool:

Get your shit sorted Aldred.

I found the topos of the area to be not much help. I forgot about my 08 Akattack maps, will dig them out for a look although I don't think they will extend far enough over to battle hill to help us 4hr racers.

good plan! You don't miss much of what's on the '06 map, and I think we'll see some new mapping just north of the start. The topo map's quite useful for the relief shading which the MTBO maps don't have.

Got a new Nevegal for the rear all jizzed up last night. Should be good at least until Karapoti, after which I'll no doubt have to replace it again... :hmmm:
sifter

Cycling | Events | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Orienteering | Regions | Upper Hutt | Wellington Region - Latest Posts