Air Pollution

Postby Erika on Thu 4/Mar/10 9:20pm

Hey all,

I'm a Product Design student In Wellington and I'm currently looking into the issue of Respiratory Safety for exercising outdoors in Urban areas. To find a solution I need to find out as much as possible from those of you who feel affected/concerned by the issue. I will be designing a system or product that hopefully appeals to users and improves respiratory safety and performance but I need to know your thoughts/wants/needs/don't wants in a product!! If you've got a bit of time it would be great if you could answer the following survey to help my research along! :)

If you could just copy these questions into a reply message that would be awesome!

Thanks so much for your time, it's a huge help!

Erika

1 What Country and City do you live in?

2 Do you live in an urban or suburban area?

3 Do you commute to work by walking or cycling?

4 Do you participate in any outdoor sports in Urban areas?

5 Do you feel any health effects due to air pollution during these sporting activities or commuting?

6 If yes, what are the effects/symptoms?

7 Are you concerned by the global increases in air pollution?

8 How common are respiratory masks to for respiratory safety in your country/urban area?

9 Have you ever worn a mask for respiratory protection?

10 If yes, how did you feel about wearing it?

11 If no, would you consider wearing a PPE product (personal protection equipment) to aid respiratory safety if you knew air pollution was seriously affecting your health?

12 If no, why would you prefer not to wear a PPE product (i.e not considered fashionable or concern about reduced performance or just not concerned about the issue)?

Thanks again!

If you would prefer to email the answers to me, please email them to erikahansen280@gmail.com

Cheers
Last edited by Erika on Fri 5/Mar/10 7:55am, edited 2 times in total.
Erika
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Re: Air Pollution

Postby Yogi on Fri 5/Mar/10 7:52am

Erika wrote:

[b]What Country and City do you live in? NZ, Wellington

Do you live in an urban or suburban area? Urban

Do you commute to work by walking or cycling? Cycling

Do you participate in any outdoor sports in Urban areas? Yes

Do you feel any health effects due to air pollution during these sporting activities or commuting? No

If yes, what are the effects/symptoms?

Are you concerned by the global increases in air pollution? Yes

How common are respiratory masks to for respiratory safety in your country/urban area? They're not

Have you ever worn a mask for respiratory protection? No

If yes, how did you feel about wearing it?

If no, would you consider wearing a PPE product (personal protection equipment) to aid respiratory safety if you knew air pollution was seriously affecting your health? No

If no, why would you prefer not to wear a PPE product (i.e not considered fashionable or concern about reduced performance or just not concerned about the issue)?
I inhale less pollution than a once a day smoker

Erika, maybe you might like people to email the answers to you? Or number the questions so it's easier to reply.

Good luck
Yogi
Member for: 17 years 11 months

Postby Erika on Fri 5/Mar/10 7:57am

Done :) thanks for the advice. Had lots of interest in it and started big discussions on UK cycling forums. Seems we are pretty lucky air pollution wise here at this stage but hearing Kiwi's thoughts (even if your arent concerned about it at all) is really helpful to compare to feedback from other locations! Thanks
Erika

Postby Yogi on Fri 5/Mar/10 8:05am

Erika wrote:Done :) thanks for the advice. Had lots of interest in it and started big discussions on UK cycling forums. Seems we are pretty lucky air pollution wise here at this stage but hearing Kiwi's thoughts (even if your arent concerned about it at all) is really helpful to compare to feedback from other locations! Thanks

I have seen a few people walking around with masks on and the odd cyclist, especially through the Mt Vic tunnel so there are people concerned people out there. Like you've hinted, it'll be the truly big cities that'll give you the most relevant feedback on whether they'd be marketable.
Yogi
Member for: 17 years 11 months

Postby cruiser on Fri 5/Mar/10 8:48am

Hi Erika,

I'm an ex builder and have just done a study on the effects of air pollution on sport performance. apart from the particle catching, would the mask filter out gases such as CO? Even though the other gases are irritants, we acclimatise to them from a performance point of view, CO is the killer of performance.

From a person who used to wear PPE, the biggest nightmare is can't wear glasses and mask at same time due to fogging. without addressing this issue, it'll be just the same as every other mask...from a commercial perspective the mask would do well to meet needs of work safety and comfort too - leisure PPE is voluntary, Work isn't...

good luck, maybe it'll make it onto the shelves???

What about a silicone based filter that fit in the mouth like a lightweight mouthguard and nasal plug :D
cruiser
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 5/Mar/10 9:21am

we had a look at bringing in Respro masks a few years ago. but smog levels have lessened in chch since... ish.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby Erika on Tue 9/Mar/10 2:10pm

Hey all, thanks for your thoughts and advice! much appreciated!

Thanks for the advice crusier! must have been a very interesting study! Having done it, do you have any good advice on research areas/books, people to talk to etc?
Erika

Ppe Products For Respiratory Protection

Postby Erika on Tue 9/Mar/10 2:34pm

Hey everyone,

Carrying out another pilot survey on responses to a selection of current PPE products currently on the market for respiratory protection for bicycle commuters? Your response is greatly appreciated!

What country and city do you live in?

What is your age?

Are you male or female?

How do you feel about the appearance of each PPE product shown below?

What do you dislike or like about each example?

How do you respond to the material appearance?

How do you respond to each design?

Have you seen anyone wearing a PPE product to aid respiratory protection when bicycle commuting?

Would you wear one for your own protection?

What are your main concerns/anxieties with the PPE products below?

What order would you rate them in and why?

Are you familiar with any other type of PPE product for respiratory protection?

Do you have any other comments or suggestions?

Again, if you prefer to email you can send replies to erikahansen280@gmail.com

Thanks again!
city-mask.jpg
Product 1
sportsta mask.jpg
Product 2
350__1_dhb-Hunston-Face-Mask-med.jpg.png
Product 3
21rQNDMv2GL._SL500_AA150_.jpg
Product 4
totobobo-mask-1.jpg
Product 5
Erika

Postby cruiser on Tue 9/Mar/10 3:53pm

Erika wrote:Hey all, thanks for your thoughts and advice! much appreciated!

Thanks for the advice crusier! must have been a very interesting study! Having done it, do you have any good advice on research areas/books, people to talk to etc?

For sports performance and back-up research to support the use of masks, look up Lawrence Armstrong. He's written books on Performance in extreme environments and extracted all the research from studies he and others have done. His book is performing in extreme environments, If you got this book out from your Uni/ tech he references shitloads of studies in the biblio, I then just searched these in the journal databases at uni.

You're a bit different in terms of solving the issue, I looked at it from an acclimatise and minimise point of view. I disregarded masks because in competition there is nothing suitable for an athlete that I new of, so to wear one in training, then get the full impact of pollution in competition would drop performance from broncho-constriction, spasms and irritation etc.

But who knows, in years to come, I'd say we'll be wearing masks in places like beijing, delhi etc while competing...

The blue and black masks look cool, would be great on motorbikes in traffic, for sport there can't be any restriction in volume of air intake, you'd need to have that in mind for competitive sport, but not so much for leisure. But I'm sure that's the million dollar issue...same as water filters, the slower the flow the better the filtration.

Who said they have to be strapped on? If you're commuting to work, training at lunch and get left with a strap mark on the face for an hour, what effect would that have on continued use? Also straps limit the fit on some hairstyles/ headwear/ face shapes.

Back to my crazy idea...
What about looking at the material mouthguards are made of...these are heated and molded to the mouth, then manufacture the filter into the material like a mouth insert...stubby air snorkel.
like the old half time oranges that we stuck in our mouths? :lol: :lol:

The other issue to consider is saliva build up-spitting/ dry mouth/ rehydration - drinking...with a strap-on this is very difficult. the snorkel TM could be removed easily and re-inserted.

some of the masks above can be pulled down for this, but these ones would fog glasses...maybe the Asian girl one wouldn't fog glasses?
cruiser
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby Erika on Fri 12/Mar/10 8:31am

Hi Crusier,

Thank you so much for all of your thoughts and ideas! Sorry for the slow reply (snowed under in research!!). I agree with your ideas - it would be awesome to have a method of resperatory protection that couldnt be seen (i.e. mouth guard type)....will look into it :) Thanks also for the book/research advice! Your feedback has been extremely valuable to my research!

Thanks again,

Erika
Erika

Re: Ppe Products For Respiratory Protection

Postby kona.stinky. on Fri 12/Mar/10 6:46pm

Erika wrote:Hey everyone,

Carrying out another pilot survey on responses to a selection of current PPE products currently on the market for respiratory protection for bicycle commuters? Your response is greatly appreciated!

What country and city do you live in?

What is your age? 14

Are you male or female? male

How do you feel about the appearance of each PPE product shown below?
looks like something that a terrorist would use..

What do you dislike or like about each example?
it's just a bit too different from the other pollution masks, but if society knew what they were, it would be better

How do you respond to the material appearance?
looks a bit weak, I think a solid plastic design would be cooler.

How do you respond to each design?
quite cool, maybe you could do a graffiti design on a mask to market it at style conscious people.

Have you seen anyone wearing a PPE product to aid respiratory protection when bicycle commuting?
Not in taupo

Would you wear one for your own protection?
If I lived in Christchurch I would, but the level of pollution were I am it is not needed

What are your main concerns/anxieties with the PPE products below?
it may look too weird...

What order would you rate them in and why?
product 2 then product 1 then product 3 then product 4 then product 5.

Are you familiar with any other type of PPE product for respiratory protection?
nope.

Do you have any other comments or suggestions?
I think that these masks would be embarrassing for a younger generation to wear, at my age seeing another cyclist wearing one of these, I would think it to be pretty ugly, I think if you had a hard plastic design for product 2, with straps to go around the head, and maybe some darker color's like grey, dark red, dark blue etc, or some decals on the mask, it would appeal more to people my age.

Again, if you prefer to email you can send replies to erikahansen280@gmail.com

Thanks again!
kona.stinky.
"Si"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts