Air Nz New Baggage Rules To Make Flying With Bikes Easier?

Postby j0e90 on Sat 5/Apr/08 7:57pm

So I saw a clip on TV3 tonight about changs to the luggage rules.

1 bag per person, limit now 30 kgs.

An extra bag again up to 30 kg only $10!?!?!

I'm sure they got it wrong, sounds too good to be true.
j0e90
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Vinnie on Sat 5/Apr/08 8:00pm

30kg total.
Vinnie
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby j0e90 on Sat 5/Apr/08 8:04pm

Thats what I thought when I read the herald article as well, but the TV3 piece seemed pretty clear - like I said does sound to good to be true.
j0e90

Postby Outy on Sat 5/Apr/08 10:28pm

On One News said 30kg total, but $10 for additional bags - 3 x 10kg bags? $20 thank you sir.
So I guess cram as much bike, tools, helmet, bottles, food, clothing, etc into bike box, and whatever else you need will have to fit in a 7kg carry-on.
That's the way I read it.
Outy
"I know we'll be fine when we learn to love the ride"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Vinnie on Sat 5/Apr/08 11:37pm

I bet they will still get you for oversize item charges, and still do it separate from the 30kg limit, just to ream you anyway.

AirNZ are going to get a good kick in the ass from PacificBlue, and it can't come soon enough.

To fly from CHCH->Welly I was looking at $140 return in mid April.
To fly from DUN-> Welly I was looking at $211 one way as the cheapest across an entire week of fares around the same time.

The difference? Pacific Blue already flies from CHCH to Wellington, but haven't yet started flying from Dunedin.
Vinnie
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby spangleycandy on Sat 5/Apr/08 11:38pm

I recently flew with Air-nz, cost me $100 extra to get my bike (32kg in a hard case) to CHCH from Auck (one way)

Flew back up with Pacific Blue, no extra charge at all. The PB flight was $20 more, but that was 80$ saved. These changes to air nz will have to be good to beat that sort of deal.
spangleycandy
"a target taking aim"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby SlackBoy on Sun 6/Apr/08 3:20am

When I last fle w to Nelson, I told them, that I had a bike. Which gave you an automatic extra 10kg's. 30kg's total. My bike bag and all my kit came to 29.2 kg's, no extra costs wot so eva. Mint!!
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby slowMTB on Sun 6/Apr/08 8:19am

What gets me is all the OHS b'shiat - they were screaming blue murder about people lifting 20kg and now they have to cope with 30kg!!! . Something is not adding up here :crazy:
Some pencil pushers brain fart no doubt - not living in the real world and coming up with "solutions" to justify their jobs - NOT :p

Its a crazy world we live in , might as well go nuts on a mountain bike and become certifiably nuts :satan:
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby psychavoc on Sun 6/Apr/08 8:58am

Yeah I thought about the weight/OSH issue too. A 30kg back if FARRRRKING heavy to lift :crazy: (I had one when I flew from Welly to Dunedin when I first moved down there).
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby wgtngrl on Sun 6/Apr/08 9:21am

Apart from a few years back, I've never been charged any extra for travelling with a bike. AirNZ, Qantas and Pacific Blue. Within NZ and to Aus. I thought the system was rather grand as it was...
wgtngrl
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Wobbler on Sun 6/Apr/08 9:24am

The old system was alright if you had reasonable weight bike, I could sneak my slacker and some clothes under the weight limit, but that was with lighter tires than normal etc, no way would I be able to get a dh bike under it.
Wobbler

Postby j2hyde on Sun 6/Apr/08 11:48am

I always fly VB for trans tasman jaunts. The bike flies free, and if you dont have a bike and just want to carry more stuff tell them the extra big bag is a paraglider, or hocky gear, or whatever and its all free.
Yes they do resemble a cattle truck and the name resembes melbournes finest camel urine, but the other airlines are no better.

Gave up on Air NZ years ago, too much money for not enough convienience. Avoid Jetstar like the plague - first thing you always ask the counter person when checking in with Jetstar "so, how late is the flight today?".
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby JohnnyC on Sun 6/Apr/08 1:05pm

spangleycandy wrote: I recently flew with Air-nz, cost me $100 extra to get my bike (32kg in a hard case) to CHCH from Auck (one way)

Flew back up with Pacific Blue, no extra charge at all. The PB flight was $20 more, but that was 80$ saved. These changes to air nz will have to be good to beat that sort of deal.

Yeah I'll only be taking my bike on Pacific blue from now on, I've heard stories about how badly air NZ treat peoples bikes when they load them on too.
JohnnyC
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby wgtngrl on Sun 6/Apr/08 1:23pm

JohnnyC wrote:
spangleycandy wrote: I recently flew with Air-nz, cost me $100 extra to get my bike (32kg in a hard case) to CHCH from Auck (one way)

Yeah I'll only be taking my bike on Pacific blue from now on, I've heard stories about how badly air NZ treat peoples bikes when they load them on too.
I hate to break it to you but luggage handlers are employed by the airport, not the airline. Your gear gets treated the same by all of them. I've had damage on all 3 airlines I've taken bikes on - nothing major, just annoying.
wgtngrl
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Slim on Sun 6/Apr/08 1:38pm

I've been backwards and forwards up the country a bit and the only damage I have ever had was last week, some how the trigger on my shifter got bent.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts