Re: Air Nz New Baggage Rules To Make Flying With Bikes Easier?

Postby --WILL-- on Fri 21/Mar/14 3:26pm

Has anyone had any experience with ground effects' body bag? Looking to take a DH rig over to canada later in the year and looking at options. Was looking at the tardis, but states it wont fit a big rig
--WILL--
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby Malcy on Fri 21/Mar/14 7:30pm

--WILL-- wrote:Has anyone had any experience with ground effects' body bag? Looking to take a DH rig over to canada later in the year and looking at options. Was looking at the tardis, but states it wont fit a big rig

I have the Body Bag, and a CrateWorks box.

I usually fly with my Specialized Enduro, and it all depends on what luggage I have to carry as to which method I use. The Body Bag is ok, but I have to take the fork off to make it fit. And that's just on a 160mm fork. With a DH rig, I would presume that you need to remove the forks for the Body Bag too.

The CrateWorks box, I take off the wheels, the forks, and strap them all in, and that works out quite well. That fits a DH rig too.

The pro of the bag, it's light, con, bugger all protection for the frame.

Cratework pro, super protective of the bike, con is, heavy. Bike in box without pedals comes in a whisker on 23kg.
Malcy
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby juliewebster on Tue 20th Jun 7:07pm

Has anyone flown with a Specialized Veno e-bike with Air New Zealand? How easy is it as they weight approx 24 kg?
juliewebster
Member for: 5 months 3 weeks

Postby Conners on Tue 20th Jun 8:38pm

No idea on the weight aspect, but wondering how they like huge batteries being transported on their planes?
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby michael on Tue 20th Jun 11:23pm

You should contact them in advance about the battery.

No idea how big it is, but it is probably too big for them to accept as checked in luggage, and may potentially be to big to take the battery carry on.
michael
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby dwgknz on Wed 21st Jun 9:56am

Air NZ prohibits batteries over 160Wh

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/travelling-with-lithium-batteries

Looks like the Specialized batteries are 460Wh so no luck sorry.....
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby NzidaR on Wed 21st Jun 6:12pm

Are you talking domestic travel ? My only suggestion would be to courier the battery ahead if possible (though given the size of it, there may be an issue with it being deemed hazardous goods). Even without the battery on board, once packed in a box/bag you'll be looking at overweight baggage charges. From the AirNZ website:

'If your bag is overweight but less than 32kg or you want to take an extra bag, and there is space on your flight, you can pay an excess baggage charge at the airport. ' So long as its under that mark i'd think it could be done minus the battery.
NzidaR
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts