Re: Air Nz New Baggage Rules To Make Flying With Bikes Easier?

Postby phunk on Wed 26/Jun/13 4:36pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
phunk wrote:Last time I flew down to QT I took pedals and handlebar off then put the bike in a clear mattress bag, survived no probs and no need to deal with a box. Have they changed the rules again recently?

Not sure about recent...

AirNZ wrote:Carriage of bicycles

Bicycles will only be accepted as checked baggage if they are correctly packaged into a bike box or bike bag. Bike boxes can be purchased at all New Zealand airports for NZD25.
To meet the minimum requirements for acceptance, the bike must be prepared as follows:
Remove or turn handle bars sideways.
Turn in or remove pedals.
Mountain bikes may be fitted with struts containing compressed nitrogen gas. These bikes can only be accepted as checked baggage if the gas pressure does not exceed 200KPa (Kilopascal), or 29 PSI (Pounds per square inch).
Small (not exceeding 50ml) non-flammable gas cartridges for the purpose of inflating tyres are permitted to be carried in checked baggage.
Deflation of the tyres is not necessary.
Children’s bikes with no chain are not required to travel packaged in a bike bag or box.
When packing a bike, remember to:
Place any loose accessories such as pedals or water bottles into a bag then place in the box.
Seal the box, and label it with your name and contact phone number.
Ensure no part of the bike is protruding out of the box.

Sounds like the mattress bag method counts. Just remember to take some packing tape to redo it at the other end.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 26/Jun/13 4:38pm

Guess it would, just a bit nervous about damage to the bikes, but cardboard isn't really that protective I suppose.
(and could encourage the baggage chuckers since they can't see the contents)
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Wed 26/Jun/13 8:30pm

Bunch of us flew a month ago. Air nz bike box was great, really big and thick. Survived a couple of nights of rain. Heard that bikes might only be allowed on in boxes soon because of claims against the airline for damage to bikes in bags. Say bye bye GE tardis.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Wed 26/Jun/13 9:45pm

BKR - "heard" from reliable source, or just speculation ? - asking cause am about to buy a new tardis for my carbon 29'r, wouldn't like it to be a one trip wonder white elephant :(

I like that a tardis doesn't gobble 4kg of yer baggage allowance, and I'm not convinced bikes are that much safer / protected in boxes, or padded bags ??
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 27/Jun/13 10:45am

BrokenKonaRider wrote:Bunch of us flew a month ago. Air nz bike box was great, really big and thick. Survived a couple of nights of rain. Heard that bikes might only be allowed on in boxes soon because of claims against the airline for damage to bikes in bags. Say bye bye GE tardis.

Good, but

pedalingkiwi wrote:I like that a tardis doesn't gobble 4kg of yer baggage allowance, and I'm not convinced bikes are that much safer / protected in boxes, or padded bags ??

4kg of bike box? BKR, any opinion on how much the AirNZ boxes weigh?
Would have to keep well on top of contents weight if the box is 4kg.
Velocipedestrian

Postby pedalingkiwi on Thu 27/Jun/13 1:05pm

I borrowed a T7 brand softish, but padded, with plastic base & little trundler wheels (the latter basically useless because they were too close together, bag just wanted to fall over all the time) to take bike to Welly recently. I'm sure the bag itself weighed in region of 5-6kg, whereas Tardis is only 1.8kg IIRC. Because you can make the Tardis into a really well packed & tight wee bundle it remains my go-to choice, especially if flying with only one checked in bag of 23kg.
pedalingkiwi

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Thu 27/Jun/13 9:26pm

pedalingkiwi wrote:BKR - "heard" from reliable source, or just speculation ? - asking cause am about to buy a new tardis for my carbon 29'r, wouldn't like it to be a one trip wonder white elephant :(

The (grumpy) AirNZ oversized baggage person told us this as we tried to slip on a bike that had its drivetrain wrapped and nothing else (=fail). It would be wise to give them a call before buying the tardis.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby yak71 on Thu 27/Jun/13 9:36pm

Ive got a t7 bag, another one i cant recall the brand and have used a tardis. All soft, but i now always use a cutdown bike box inside them. Best of both worlds.
But i like the idea that if the handlers can see the bike, and it is more difficult to handle, it gets more care - maybe.
yak71
"yeah definitely"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Thu 27/Jun/13 9:41pm

Mmm - understandable that a minimally wrapped bike would piss them off, but a tardis is a totally different kettle of fish shirley. Sounds like said disgruntled employee then did a rant about bikes in general, and the problems they cause airlines.

I love the way customer service & accomodation positively oozes from companies that rely on customers for income :p
pedalingkiwi

Postby thelivo on Fri 28/Jun/13 2:03am

pedalingkiwi wrote:Mmm - understandable that a minimally wrapped bike would piss them off, but a tardis is a totally different kettle of fish shirley. Sounds like said disgruntled employee then did a rant about bikes in general, and the problems they cause airlines.

I love the way customer service & accomodation positively oozes from companies that rely on customers for income :p

"This company would be a fantastic place to work if it wasnt for the damn customers!"

(Mind you I have to admit to feeling like that myself sometimes...)
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 28/Jun/13 12:39pm

yak71 wrote:But i like the idea that if the handlers can see the bike, and it is more difficult to handle, it gets more care - maybe.

This is the idea pushing the mattress bag, also weight. But if the handler is grumpy/anti-bike/a dickhead/etc it could cause a rage-induced incident of damage to my uninsured precious.
Velocipedestrian

Postby UZUMATI on Wed 23/Oct/13 2:48pm

pedalingkiwi wrote:BKR - "heard" from reliable source, or just speculation ? - asking cause am about to buy a new tardis for my carbon 29'r, wouldn't like it to be a one trip wonder white elephant :(

So does the latest version of the Tardis still comply with the Air NZ restrictions ?
I have the 26in wheeled older version and it only just squeaks < 2m linear dimensions....
Looking at the GE wbesite the "Super-sized" Tardis will be pushing the boundaries

Dimensions: 115cm x 75cm

Doesn't leave much 'wiggle factor" in terms of width....

Hoping to package my 29er in the older tardis but I know that my S/S Surly is a bit of a squeeze....

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think the current Tardis is the only way to go...

Mattress Bag approach can't surely be valid for a 29er because dimensions would easily be > 2m linear...
Cardboard Bike box I have from bike shop is >2m linear dimension

As an aside - wonder what airnz bikebox dimensions are ?
At the airport, would be a cunning scheme to sell you a $25 bike box that was > 2m and then charge you $60 each way for the privelege of using it !
Punishment for being unorganised ?
UZUMATI
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 23/Oct/13 3:09pm

I eventually found a generic cardboard box from a bike shop which fit my bike - and discovered it too weighed ~4kg, didn't leave much spare from 23kg, but did the trick.
Velocipedestrian

Postby pedalingkiwi on Wed 23/Oct/13 9:22pm

UZUMATI wrote:

So does the latest version of the Tardis still comply with the Air NZ restrictions ?
I have the 26in wheeled older version and it only just squeaks < 2m linear dimensions....
Looking at the GE wbesite the "Super-sized" Tardis will be pushing the boundaries

Dimensions: 115cm x 75cm

Doesn't leave much 'wiggle factor" in terms of width....

Hoping to package my 29er in the older tardis but I know that my S/S Surly is a bit of a squeeze....

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think the current Tardis is the only way to go...

just returned from a trip to USA with an XL sized 29'r in a latest model Tardis. Airlines (AirNZ + Virgin America) don't seem to pay any attention to linear dimensions. My bag was packed to 23-24kg and did not attract any surcharge as bicycle, overweight or oversize.

I had no discernible damage to my bike, but my travel companions, with their bikes in padded T7 bags, coped 4 bent brake rotors, and one badly scored shock shaft (maybe due to US customs opening the bag to inspect & moving things about). My money is on a well packed tardis for the win :thumbsup:
Last edited by pedalingkiwi on Thu 24/Oct/13 8:07am, edited 1 time in total.
pedalingkiwi

Postby Trail on Wed 23/Oct/13 10:00pm

Good to hear PK. :)

For the record my med 5 spot recently went to Canada and back from Chch (airnz) in a newer Tardis. No quibbles from the airline, zero damage to bike and I had it packed to about 23kg with backpack and pads etc in the Tardis as well.

Also more recently the 5 Spot in the Tardis went with me from Chch to Wgtn and back on AirNZ without any quibbles or damage. Also packed to 23kg or a bit over.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts