Postby Conners on Mon 7/Apr/08 1:36pm

:pmob: But they can still charge you if you're the first person to get on - and they don't know their total yet?
Conners
User avatar
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Spyder on Mon 7/Apr/08 1:37pm

way_downsouth wrote: Can anyone tell me what the extra cost of each kilo on a plane is? Given the weight of the planes I would have thought that the extra weight wasn't that much of a problem, more baggage handling etc. (Although, if you said everyone could carry anouther 20Kg's) this could have quite an impact.


The extra "cost" of each kilo is that they can't charge that out as commercial freight which is a good earner. They would be most happy if the travelling punters had no luggage, paid the same rate (as you do) and they could fill the hold with freight.

Found AirNZ were pretty good last weekend when I brought my new bike home from Wgtn in a bikecase. Was 22kg (ish) but got there early and had no other check in baggage. No damage, so was happy.
Spyder
User avatar
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby way_downsouth on Mon 7/Apr/08 1:44pm

Spyder wrote:
way_downsouth wrote: Can anyone tell me what the extra cost of each kilo on a plane is? Given the weight of the planes I would have thought that the extra weight wasn't that much of a problem, more baggage handling etc. (Although, if you said everyone could carry anouther 20Kg's) this could have quite an impact.


The extra "cost" of each kilo is that they can't charge that out as commercial freight which is a good earner. They would be most happy if the travelling punters had no luggage, paid the same rate (as you do) and they could fill the hold with freight.

Found AirNZ were pretty good last weekend when I brought my new bike home from Wgtn in a bikecase. Was 22kg (ish) but got there early and had no other check in baggage. No damage, so was happy.


Definitely have no complaints with AirNZ.

On domestic flights (which we are talking about), how much cargo is there? I know there is mail etc, but just a general question.

I would have thought a lot of the cost would have been in loading facilities/staff etc.
way_downsouth
User avatar
"Average at best"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby neels on Mon 7/Apr/08 2:04pm

I don't think there's much freight on domestics, it takes too long to load & they're looking for fast turnaround, plane on ground = plane not making money
neels
User avatar
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby sifter on Mon 7/Apr/08 2:11pm

scatter wrote:
sifter wrote:
scatter wrote:
inzane wrote:Maybe the really fat people should have to book 2 seats!! :crazy:

I know someone who ended up having to do that as her rearend did not fit between the armrests.

What I don't get is why can you take 2 x 32kgs through the US but only 1x 20kgs through Asia? That's wack


those puny asians...


That makes no sense? :blink:


the baggage handlers in Asia are smaller, so can't safely lift 30kg bags :blink:
sifter
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby MikeCrawford on Wed 9/Apr/08 7:45pm

SlackBoy wrote: When I last fle w to Nelson, I told them, that I had a bike. Which gave you an automatic extra 10kg's. 30kg's total. My bike bag and all my kit came to 29.2 kg's, no extra costs wot so eva. Mint!!


Mint, thats exactly what I wanted to hear !!

I was worried my weekend at Woodhill Forrest would end up costing me the earth!
MikeCrawford
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Malcy on Wed 9/Apr/08 7:49pm

I haven't ever been charged for flying within NZ for bikes. In North America, however....grrrr


But the thing with Air NZ is that you get an extra (got) an extra 10kgs for sports equipment. So it's all good.

Main thing I've found is that it's about attitude. You go up smiling and not looking for a fight, then you'll get let by. Nice.

:D

I love the new rules though!!
Malcy
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Jono on Wed 9/Apr/08 9:34pm

Malcy wrote: Main thing I've found is that it's about attitude. You go up smiling and not looking for a fight, then you'll get let by. Nice.

:D

I love the new rules though!!


True. When we flew down to wanaka, I paid the extra for the bike, but they didn't weight it, so no additional weight costs (I think that I was about 6 kilos over). Turning up early, with the bike all boxed/bagged definitely helps.

As for travel within the states - I've only travelled with a bike as part of an international leg (either into or out of the states), so haven't had any additional charges. But a smile, an early arrival and an NZ accent gets you a long way ;)
Jono
User avatar
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Hmm

Postby _the_Oli_ on Thu 10/Apr/08 1:23pm

wgtngrl wrote: Apart from a few years back, I've never been charged any extra for travelling with a bike. AirNZ, Qantas and Pacific Blue. Within NZ and to Aus. I thought the system was rather grand as it was...


yes but, with all respect, you are a girl. that does seem to provide an advantage when checking in with bikes (i have two other female friends to prove it). either that or it's got something to do with me :0

with particularly AirNZ i find bike travel inconsistent. sometimes no chanrge, sometimes they try to get out of the extra 10kg because they apply to golf clubs only (BS), sometimes 10kg extra but $20 for big item, and a range of combinations of the above.
_the_Oli_
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Vinnie on Thu 10/Apr/08 1:30pm

Print out the piece of info from their website (with the full URL address and AirNZ logos and date printed on it) and then in the worst case scenario of them trying to overcharge you or not letting you have the 10kg extra, produce the piece of paper and say "Hang on, look here. This is direct from your website".

It's pretty hard to argue with something like that. Especially if you continue to have trouble and you idly threaten them with false advertising charges.
Vinnie
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 7 months

RE: Hmm

Postby way_downsouth on Thu 10/Apr/08 1:50pm

_the_Oli_ wrote:with particularly AirNZ i find bike travel inconsistent. sometimes no chanrge, sometimes they try to get out of the extra 10kg because they apply to golf clubs only (BS), sometimes 10kg extra but $20 for big item, and a range of combinations of the above.


I find that interesting, I have flown with a bike what I would consider to be quite a lot under the current rules (around 10 times) and have never had a problem with inconsistant treatment.
way_downsouth
User avatar
"Average at best"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Re: Air Nz New Baggage Rules To Make Flying With Bikes Easier?

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 26/Jun/13 4:11pm

[Dredge]

Anyone bought one of the bike boxes Air NZ sell at airports?
Website says $25 each, so I'll only do it if I can't find others in Wanaka, but it doesn't tell me dimensions, and the helpful phone staff don't know either.

Heading down to DND/Naseby/Wanaka out from QT in a couple of weeks, keen to take the bikes, and should be no trouble packing into boxes before we leave (Welly), but less sure of getting boxes down there and don't want to have to drag two around for the whole trip.

Full-sus bikes that don't always fit in "normal" bike boxes, so want to be sure...

[/Dredge]
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Re: Air Nz New Baggage Rules To Make Flying With Bikes Easier?

Postby phunk on Wed 26/Jun/13 4:17pm

Last time I flew down to QT I took pedals and handlebar off then put the bike in a clear mattress bag, survived no probs and no need to deal with a box. Have they changed the rules again recently?
phunk
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Re: Air Nz New Baggage Rules To Make Flying With Bikes Easier?

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 26/Jun/13 4:26pm

phunk wrote:Last time I flew down to QT I took pedals and handlebar off then put the bike in a clear mattress bag, survived no probs and no need to deal with a box. Have they changed the rules again recently?


Not sure about recent...

AirNZ wrote:Carriage of bicycles

Bicycles will only be accepted as checked baggage if they are correctly packaged into a bike box or bike bag. Bike boxes can be purchased at all New Zealand airports for NZD25.
To meet the minimum requirements for acceptance, the bike must be prepared as follows:
Remove or turn handle bars sideways.
Turn in or remove pedals.
Mountain bikes may be fitted with struts containing compressed nitrogen gas. These bikes can only be accepted as checked baggage if the gas pressure does not exceed 200KPa (Kilopascal), or 29 PSI (Pounds per square inch).
Small (not exceeding 50ml) non-flammable gas cartridges for the purpose of inflating tyres are permitted to be carried in checked baggage.
Deflation of the tyres is not necessary.
Children’s bikes with no chain are not required to travel packaged in a bike bag or box.
When packing a bike, remember to:
Place any loose accessories such as pedals or water bottles into a bag then place in the box.
Seal the box, and label it with your name and contact phone number.
Ensure no part of the bike is protruding out of the box.
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Re: Air Nz New Baggage Rules To Make Flying With Bikes Easier?

Postby danose on Wed 26/Jun/13 4:29pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
AirNZ wrote:Carriage of bicycles
Mountain bikes may be fitted with struts containing compressed nitrogen gas. These bikes can only be accepted as checked baggage if the gas pressure does not exceed 200KPa (Kilopascal), or 29 PSI (Pounds per square inch).


most shocks/forks have compressed air in them, not nitrogen, so I presume that means they're exempt :satan: :D
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts

Who is online

47 Users browsing this website: dwgknz, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], neels, Rik and 41 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop