Re: Advice On Night Lights

Postby ape on Thu 4/Jul/13 6:07pm

I bought one off Ebay, kinda fresnel-type lens, just in one direction (so you end up with a beam that's spread sideways a bit, but still fairly tight vertically after reading a bunch of reviews online... after 2 rides, I decided it was a P.O.S. so took it out, and after much deliberation, bought one of these: http://www.kaidomain.com/Product/Details.S020710 only $43US, free postage.. (when you consider that the (useless) lens cost me $15 by the time I'd shipped it here)

Beam is a good deal wider than the single XML lights, and, for once, the mode logic in the driver is awesome! it's got 3 modes, each of which can be set to one of 10 different brightness levels. (push button once to turn on -mode 1, press for mode 2, press again for mode 3. press and hold for off) in any mode, press and hold for a while, button glows orange, and you can step through 10 brightness steps, press and hold to set. When the light is off, press and hold for a sensible (not strobe) flashing mode.

With this on my bars, I climb roads/open tracks on 10%, climb/flat singletrack on 50% and knock it up to 100% and flick on my helmet for down hills. This setup saves blinding oncomming riders, and buddies when you're sitting around, bar lights are waaay more considerate (plus you don't dissappear when you look over your shoulder) on the road. Having a tight beam on your head does seem to keep you riding where your head is pointed.
ape
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby laworder on Wed 10/Jul/13 8:54am

Just bought myself a couple of Magicshine MJ880's (as well as a Ferei BL200) and want to ask a question of anyone else who has these
The Magicshines have a green light on the switch which stays on all the time the power pack is plugged in. Its the power/ battery level indicator.
Should I unplug the power packs overnight or is the drain from that indicator so insignificant its not worth bothering?
I have left them plugged in this morning while I am at work, will find out when I go to cycle home anyway I guess :-)

Regards
Peter
laworder
Member for: 6 years 8 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 10/Jul/13 10:30am

I'd be unplugging... the drain will be negligible, but still draining.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby UK_Exile on Wed 10/Jul/13 10:52am

I wouldn't bother unplugging unless you need the obsolute full charge to complete your ride. The difference by leaving plugged in for the day would be seconds or at most a couple of minutes.
UK_Exile
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby laworder on Wed 10/Jul/13 10:54am

UK_Exile wrote:I wouldn't bother unplugging unless you need the obsolute full charge to complete your ride. The difference by leaving plugged in for the day would be seconds or at most a couple of minutes.

Thanks for that. I only have a 20 mins ride so will leave plugged in while at work, may unplug at home, see how I go. I can easily recharge at home anyway as have power right where I put my bike

Regards
Peter J
laworder

Postby znomit on Wed 10/Jul/13 10:57am

I think someone bothered to measure the off current draw over on MTBR and found it to be surprisingly high.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby muddydave on Wed 10/Jul/13 8:23pm

if I don't unplug mine over night they are flat as a tak in the morning. I now ALWAYS unplug when not in use.
muddydave
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby kookaburra on Wed 10/Jul/13 8:36pm

muddydave wrote:if I don't unplug mine over night they are flat as a tak in the morning. I now ALWAYS unplug when not in use.

muddydave your battery must be stuffed.
I can leave my Majic Shine plugged in for over a month and it still has plenty of juice left in it.
kookaburra
Member for: 7 years 0 months

Postby UK_Exile on Thu 11/Jul/13 9:20am

muddydave wrote:if I don't unplug mine over night they are flat as a tak in the morning. I now ALWAYS unplug when not in use.

How long does the light run for ? Either battery is poked, or something is wrong with the light
UK_Exile

Postby muddydave on Thu 11/Jul/13 9:38am

hmmm interesting, light setup is about 6 rides old, charges fine and light goes for as long as they are meant to whatever it was, 3hr on full 6hr on 1/2 and strobe. but yeah if i dont unplug it over night then its button drains all it's power. no biggie as i have others as backup.
muddydave
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby UK_Exile on Thu 11/Jul/13 9:54am

Wow ! If it's ok for 3hrs full on but flattens overnight then it's roughly using 1/3 of it's full on current just for the driver circuitry & indicator. (3hrs vs 9hrs) That's bad as a lot of energy is being wasted.
Another way to look at is when you're riding 3/4 of energy in bettery goes to front LED while other 1/4 goes to driver & rear indicator.
UK_Exile

Postby laworder on Tue 16/Jul/13 3:43pm

Have been leaving my Magicshines plugged in, they seem to hold out onite no problem

Now need to upgrade my back lights to something serious, going to look in my local bike shops as Trade Me has nothing of note thats an improvement on the ones I already have. Any suggestions for bright rear lights?

Regards
Peter
laworder

Postby Colin on Tue 16/Jul/13 4:18pm

http://www.gw.govt.nz/be-safe-be-seen/

Test results stat sheets for front and rear lights
Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby UK_Exile on Tue 16/Jul/13 4:31pm

For rear light maximum test brightness isn't always the only thing to consider as around city visiblity from angle or side on from is equally, or perhaps more important. No point being blindingly bright from straight behind if they're dull when viewed from 20deg side angle. For that reason I use a combo of bright LED & a fibre flare.
UK_Exile

Postby laworder on Tue 16/Jul/13 4:43pm

Colin wrote:http://www.gw.govt.nz/be-safe-be-seen/
Test results stat sheets for front and rear lights

Thanks for that, was looking at the Moon Shields on Wiggle
Will see if any of my local bike shops have them at a reasonable price
Will also consider some extras for more side on visibility, although bike and most of my gear is already high vis orange with reflective strip

Peter
laworder

Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts