Advertisment For Track Builders

Postby way_downsouth on Thu 27/Aug/09 2:11pm

I have recently been told that a few days ago there was an advertisment in the paper (not sure which Wellington paper) looking for track builders (volunteers) for a project in Brooklyn - does anyone have any details on this?

Cheers
Pete
way_downsouth
"Average at best"
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Re: Advertisment For Track Builders

Postby Yogi on Thu 27/Aug/09 2:17pm

If you post something up on http://www.tracks.org.nz on the Polhill area, Craig or Sparrow should point you in the right direction.
Yogi
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby iodi on Thu 27/Aug/09 2:20pm

Yogi wrote:If you post something up on http://www.tracks.org.nz on the Polhill area, Craig or Sparrow should point you in the right direction.

I guess it would be the new Polhill tracks.
WCC wrote:New Mountain Bike Tracks

With Council support, volunteers are building two new tracks. The tracks will link Ashton Fitchett Drive in Brooklyn to:

* Polhill Gully and Aro Street
* George Denton Park

The new Polhill Gully track is designed for bike use, while walkers can use the current track (although walkers will be able to use the new bike track if they want to). The new track to George Denton Park will be for mountain bikers and walkers.

Work is expected to start on the Polhill Gully track at the end of August 2009. Work on the tracks is expected to take more than a year and until this work is finished the area is closed to bikers.
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby Yogi on Thu 27/Aug/09 2:28pm

I believe works begun and a pilot track has been marked out. I've been meaning to head up and have a nosey. I guess Barking Emu will be fully blazed soon and ready for approval... looking forward to getting stuck into that.

The track development around Hawkins and Polhill is great! Good work to all those involved in getting development rolling.
Yogi

Postby thorg on Thu 27/Aug/09 2:31pm

I was looking at a map the other day and thinking how great it would be if a track linked those areas. . . .

well done to all those involved :thumbsup:

wil have to see if I can help out some time - will dig days be posted on vorb I wonder?
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby Yogi on Thu 27/Aug/09 2:41pm

Carparts Extension was a free for all with signs at both ends encouraging the use of the tools at the track ends. The track was blazed so it was simply follow your nose. I presume it'll be similar with these tracks, but would be nice to meet others on something more organised.
Yogi

Postby way_downsouth on Fri 28/Aug/09 8:01am

Presumably someone advertised it and wanted it. Does anyone have names/contact details?
way_downsouth
"Average at best"

Postby hickie on Fri 28/Aug/09 8:46am

Pete,

try contacting thelongwalk here on VORB, I think he is one of the guys involved there...
hickie
"I've got a singletrack mind..."
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby thelongwalk on Fri 28/Aug/09 10:26am

yo
i'm one of the guys helping organise that track build. It's early days and we will probably put something on vorb about it. Probably be over 3 kilometres in length, unnamed at this point, grade 3, two way, with some interesting bumps. Starts aro valley, will finish ashton fitchett drive. Jonathan Kennett is the overall leader.
We had our first group dig this wednesday. The plan is for digs on wednesday 1200-1400. We will probably plan something after work once daylight hours kick in and occasionally on weekend for special groups. Tools are provided. If you go to small park just down from Holloway road and walk up steep track heading south you will come to track work on the right, were working on the old farm bench. 0273144569 is me number and we'll be there this wednesday. We're obviously happy for people to do casual digs but we have hidden all the tools as it is so close to town. Cheers
thelongwalk
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby way_downsouth on Fri 28/Aug/09 10:34am

thelongwalk wrote:yo
i'm one of the guys helping organise that track build. It's early days and we will probably put something on vorb about it. Probably be over 3 kilometres in length, unnamed at this point, grade 3, two way, with some interesting bumps. Starts aro valley, will finish ashton fitchett drive. Jonathan Kennett is the overall leader.
We had our first group dig this wednesday. The plan is for digs on wednesday 1200-1400. We will probably plan something after work once daylight hours kick in and occasionally on weekend for special groups. Tools are provided. If you go to small park just down from Holloway road and walk up steep track heading south you will come to track work on the right, were working on the old farm bench. 0273144569 is me number and we'll be there this wednesday. We're obviously happy for people to do casual digs but we have hidden all the tools as it is so close to town. Cheers

Cheers, I will pass this on to the guy that has some free time - will get in touch with Jonathan as well.
way_downsouth
"Average at best"

Postby Robbie on Mon 31/Aug/09 4:06pm

Hmm I must have a wee look. Just up the road from my abode :)

Looks like a huge vertical drop, about 210m (which is the total height of the Makara Peak trails, top to bottom) with 1360m end to end as the crow flies, this should be an epic track :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Robbie
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby iodi on Tue 1/Sep/09 11:48am

Update from Jonathan Kennett about Wednesday work parties on the new Polhill tracks, starting tomorrow:
Jonathan Kennett wrote:From tomorrow onwards there will be lunchtime work parties on Polhill, from 12noon to 2pm. Tools and chocolate supplied. Meet at the small park at the top of Aro Valley, or just follow the track at the back of the valley up (there is orange flagging tape to follow).

The first section we are working on is from Aro Valley to Karepa Street, then on up to Ashton Fitchett next year.

If anyone wants to have a work party at any other time then they can email me and I'll meet them there if possible.
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby Robbie on Tue 1/Sep/09 1:47pm

Hmm
daylight saving evenings from 6.30..not wednesdays and I could be there...
Robbie
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Cycling | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Trail Building | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts