Re: $50m For National Cycleway Says Key

Postby j2hyde on Fri 15/May/09 4:56pm

JKS wrote:What's wrong with the QCT? That is speaking as a numptie :butbut:

Well I suppose there's nothing wrong with it. In fact there's plenty right with it - it's a fun ride - but they're making it less fun. What I was referring to was how DOC have been smoothing out the track to make it all nice and 4WD motorbike friendly. All benched and level and covered in gravel. It takes out all the fun rocks and tree roots and thus makes it less challenging. This is probably good for tourons and novice bikers but even without the "improvements" it was a technically easy track and the bumps just made it a bit more interesting for both walkers and riders.

DOC turning perfectly good tracks into gravel 4 wheel motorbike tracks is a pet hate of mine. I'm disapointed to hear the whole Heaphy has gone that way. I suppose there's no longer any excuse not to let bikes use it once they've gone and done that.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby j2hyde on Fri 15/May/09 5:12pm

thorg wrote: as I see it, the biggest challenge to this process (and the deciding factor between epic fail and epic win) is in defining the user group and standards that they require.

Exactly, the win or fail factor is going to be quite subjective. But so's every planning type issue. Personally I'm all for whatever they want to build as long as it doesn't involve turning existing tracks into highways. So IMO rail trails, velodromes, etc are all good.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Fraser on Sun 17/May/09 6:50pm

I think $50mil is better than 50k, for some of you the fact that these will make others able to use tracks rub you up the wrong way. Hell if you want to get pedantic simply using tracks and minor trails means that deer and possums use them to access the forest. Oh my god the guilt!!!

I have never been begrudging of someone improving a track. Most if not all of the tracks were built and maintained for someone else anyway. Only in the last few years has a bike specific trail been built from scratch. Not just a tarted up trail that was already there.

My friend and his wife are employed to maintain the tracks for DOC, they get their mini excavator and a ton of gravel helicoptored in to the remote bits. With another bag at the halfway point, Thats why it is 1.2m wide.

Here endith the rant..
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Fraser on Sun 17/May/09 7:12pm

j2hyde wrote:
JKS wrote:What's wrong with the QCT? That is speaking as a numptie :butbut:

Well I suppose there's nothing wrong with it. In fact there's plenty right with it - it's a fun ride - but they're making it less fun. What I was referring to was how DOC have been smoothing out the track to make it all nice and 4WD motorbike friendly. All benched and level and covered in gravel. It takes out all the fun rocks and tree roots and thus makes it less challenging. This is probably good for tourons and novice bikers but even without the "improvements" it was a technically easy track and the bumps just made it a bit more interesting for both walkers and riders.

DOC turning perfectly good tracks into gravel 4 wheel motorbike tracks is a pet hate of mine. I'm disapointed to hear the whole Heaphy has gone that way. I suppose there's no longer any excuse not to let bikes use it once they've gone and done that.

Well it is a compromise isn't it. You don't like leveled, benched gravel covered tracks. But you like the track being challenging. The challenging bits are the factors that can errode the track itself.
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Cycle Touring | Cycling | National Cycleway | National Politics | News | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts