Re: 1,500 Lumens Night Riding Lighting System For Only Us$1,179

Postby RussS on Sat 6/Jun/09 8:45am

That was in about '76 - 4 x 100W regular bulbs on top of the cage back then. From memory we couldn't run much more without a second alternator or multiple batteries and the std class buggy struggled to run a second alternator and extra batteries just were a pain to locate.

Later on I rode a bike in the same event - I think it was 4 x 100W that time around.
RussS
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby nostromo on Sat 6/Jun/09 8:56am

Jono wrote:Yar - the lupine systems are damned fine. I'm still rather happy with the hope vision 4 that I've had for a couple of months :)

I saw a review in Nz Mountain Biker mag of various lights, instead of actually reviewing them they just took the same shot of the lights illuminating a piece of trail and let the pictures tell the story, and fark me the Hope 4 was just amazing, closest thing to having a blast of daylight down the trail, definately putting the Ayups and Iblaast ones into second and third (but both of these seemed very close to each other in performance).
Then everything else trailing quite a way behind.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby danose on Sat 6/Jun/09 9:55am

nostromo wrote:I saw a review in Nz Mountain Biker mag of various lights, instead of actually reviewing them they just took the same shot of the lights illuminating a piece of trail and let the pictures tell the story, and fark me the Hope 4 was just amazing, closest thing to having a blast of daylight down the trail, definately putting the Ayups and Iblaast ones into second and third (but both of these seemed very close to each other in performance).

trouble was the iblasst is the three emitter one (indeed I can't even remember if it was an iblaast-II with the more powerful cree leds - may have been the seoul one), the quadblasst should match the hope (since it's technically identical)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby kneeman on Sat 6/Jun/09 11:55am

I have been running different night riding light for many years mainly commutinng but what I like about the NL ones are they can be upgraded and evole with the tecnology as it comes on. You dont have to stump up with a large wad of cash each time something brighter comes out then throw the old unit in the bottom drawer. Just give them a ring, drop around or send your unit in and for a fraction of the price of a new one you are the brightest kid out there again.
kneeman
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby danose on Sat 6/Jun/09 4:56pm

kneeman wrote:I have been running different night riding light for many years mainly commutinng but what I like about the NL ones are they can be upgraded and evole with the tecnology as it comes on. You dont have to stump up with a large wad of cash each time something brighter comes out then throw the old unit in the bottom drawer. Just give them a ring, drop around or send your unit in and for a fraction of the price of a new one you are the brightest kid out there again.

exactly - my endurenz started out with luxeon-IIIs (which seemed good at the time - a whopping 300 lumens total!) and got upgraded to seoul's for $100 when eric started doing the iblasst (effectively making it a blasst). Could have upgraded again to the new cree R2s in the latest batch for $100 - show me ANY other light manufacturer who looks after 4 year old 'obsolete' products like that!!!

wonder if NL will be first to market with a xp-g based light? that'd be a real march on the opposition (nice thing about being small - much less lead time since you don't have a warehouse with a zillion R2s you ordered to get a price break)
danose

Postby pb on Sat 6/Jun/09 7:49pm

1500 lumens? Try 4500 from one led package: http://www.luminus.com/content1519
pb
"Mmmm, Beer."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby danose on Sun 7/Jun/09 8:58am

pb wrote:1500 lumens? Try 4500 from one led package: http://www.luminus.com/content1519

old news - trouble is whilst the output is massive so is the thermal load and wattage to drive (since they're actually less efficient than current 'state of the art')

like I said xp-g is the next leap forward - more lumens/W is where it's at
danose

Postby scatter on Sun 7/Jun/09 9:21am

Jim wrote:Or, if you want that amount of light, ride in the day, simple. :sneaky:

Half the fun of night riding is not being able to really see whats going on.

My sentiments exactly :sneaky:

Now back in my day.......... :lol:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby wachtourak on Sun 7/Jun/09 9:23am

old
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby slidecontrol on Sun 7/Jun/09 1:58pm

danose wrote:
pb wrote:1500 lumens? Try 4500 from one led package: http://www.luminus.com/content1519

old news - trouble is whilst the output is massive so is the thermal load and wattage to drive (since they're actually less efficient than current 'state of the art')

like I said xp-g is the next leap forward - more lumens/W is where it's at

add to that, tint.
I put some WG tint Crees into my ayups ( oh yes they can be opened! ) and while they don't appear to be brighter than WC tint, perhaps slightly less? the colour is much more usable on the trails.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby danose on Sun 7/Jun/09 2:00pm

scatter wrote:
Jim wrote:Or, if you want that amount of light, ride in the day, simple. :sneaky:

Half the fun of night riding is not being able to really see whats going on.

My sentiments exactly :sneaky:

Now back in my day.......... :lol:

wait 'til you're old and your eyes are packing it in - my night vision is shot (so the fix is turn it into day :D :p )
danose

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Sun 7/Jun/09 3:09pm

RussS wrote:Later on I rode a bike in the same event - I think it was 4 x 100W that time around.

Respect. You and I must have a beer and a chat one day. I'm buying.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts