Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby thelivo on Wed 8/Jul/09 10:13pm

Go new. Don't risk your life.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby istepinyards on Wed 8/Jul/09 10:33pm

I never worry about the cost of the tyres on my cars because I value my life much more than a measly few grand.
Second hand tyres is a recipe for disaster in my opinion. Don't own a car if you can't afford to replace the parts with something of equal or better quality.
istepinyards
User avatar
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby Vulcan on Wed 8/Jul/09 10:40pm

I've bought about 4 set of second hand tyres over the last few years and I have to say that the last set put me off doing so. I found out the hard way that there was no gaurantee on age or history or purpose so have since stoppped even looking. The problem is that the car you have (like a soob) could be a rubber chwer but it sounds like the Estima isn't so go for a set of tyres you like (pick a treadware of at least 300) and hit the likes of Tonys for a good price. Good ruuber is definetly the way to go. J
Vulcan
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby Fraser on Thu 9/Jul/09 2:04am

Tama I would say look at what you do with your bike get new.
As for Faltulentfriend well it seems that all of the people who have either worked with car tyres or anything car ish seem to have the opposite of what you are trying to say.
Sometimes it is ok to buy secondhand things. But others who wouldn't consider it much like used climbing rope/sex toys or helmets. ;)
As you have a 4wd you need to have the same size/brand all around,it also advisable to keep the tread wear within 3mm of each other. Otherwise you increase wear to the driveline.
Fraser
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby philstar on Thu 9/Jul/09 10:07am

ThingOne wrote:It always comes down to this sort of thing for me..

If I stuck 2nd hand tyres on my car and had a car crash and my kids were injured or worse killed and the police report blamed a faulty second hand tyre, I could not live with myself afterwards, if it was a new tyre that had caused the problem at least I would know I had done everything I could in that regard.


only true if you buy the best (excluding wear) tires available for your car, otherwise you are making a copromise with your family.

how many of you, who are rejecting 2nd hand tires, buy 4 new tires when you buy a 2nd hand car?
philstar
User avatar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby Trail on Thu 9/Jul/09 10:11am

philstar wrote:

how many of you, who are rejecting 2nd hand tires, buy 4 new tires when you buy a 2nd hand car?


Yes, but in that situation you usually get four matched tyres which is not so easy to find when trying to buy the tyres by themselves second hand.
Trail
User avatar
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby neels on Thu 9/Jul/09 10:21am

philstar wrote:
ThingOne wrote:It always comes down to this sort of thing for me..

If I stuck 2nd hand tyres on my car and had a car crash and my kids were injured or worse killed and the police report blamed a faulty second hand tyre, I could not live with myself afterwards, if it was a new tyre that had caused the problem at least I would know I had done everything I could in that regard.


only true if you buy the best (excluding wear) tires available for your car, otherwise you are making a copromise with your family.

how many of you, who are rejecting 2nd hand tires, buy 4 new tires when you buy a 2nd hand car?

Me.

The tyres on the wifes car were horrible when we bought it, the dealer wouldn't put new ones on so I did.
neels
User avatar
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby philstar on Thu 9/Jul/09 10:23am

Trail wrote:
philstar wrote:

how many of you, who are rejecting 2nd hand tires, buy 4 new tires when you buy a 2nd hand car?


Yes, but in that situation you usually get four matched tyres which is not so easy to find when trying to buy the tyres by themselves second hand.


you quite often get people selling a set of 4 tires on rims, cos they have upgraded their toyota starlet to 20" mags :) which is one of the few ways I would consider buying 2ndhand tires.
philstar
User avatar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby Tama on Thu 9/Jul/09 10:28am

Monolith wrote:In the years I was working in the tyre industry I saw many second hand tyres that were absolute rubbish. They looked OK to the naked eye, but once mounted up all manner of flatspots, bulges and tread deformations became evident. Also, Tama, if you're wanting good milage steer away from the TZ, they chop the shoulders out relatively quickly. IMO something like a Supercat (Made by Firestone - pretty much the same pattern as the Bridgestone ER60 but a harder compound) would be a much better option than a second hand tyre, and not much more expensive (And you get 7mm of tread, not 5mm as with the second hand jobbie).

The Supercat is a bit budget I reckon. How about the Bridgestone GR80: http://www.firestone.co.nz/tyres/produc ... _65_15_96H ?
Tama
User avatar
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby scatter on Thu 9/Jul/09 10:41am

I've had a pretty good run out of the Turanza's on my wee car :thumbsup:

Just been replaced the fronts with Michelins.....so they're 3+ years old, with around 40,000km on 'em. They've seen their share of open-road driving (Hamilton to Chch, Chch to Queenstown)
scatter
User avatar
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby neels on Thu 9/Jul/09 10:46am

Tama wrote:
Monolith wrote:In the years I was working in the tyre industry I saw many second hand tyres that were absolute rubbish. They looked OK to the naked eye, but once mounted up all manner of flatspots, bulges and tread deformations became evident. Also, Tama, if you're wanting good milage steer away from the TZ, they chop the shoulders out relatively quickly. IMO something like a Supercat (Made by Firestone - pretty much the same pattern as the Bridgestone ER60 but a harder compound) would be a much better option than a second hand tyre, and not much more expensive (And you get 7mm of tread, not 5mm as with the second hand jobbie).

The Supercat is a bit budget I reckon. How about the Bridgestone GR80: http://www.firestone.co.nz/tyres/produc ... _65_15_96H ?

You're liking the firestone/bridgestones, aren't you.

I usually run goodyears, if they're close on price I'd go for them over firestones. Having said that the wife's car has a very nice set of GT's on it at the moment.
neels
User avatar
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby 1scotty1 on Thu 9/Jul/09 10:49am

Tama wrote:
Monolith wrote:In the years I was working in the tyre industry I saw many second hand tyres that were absolute rubbish. They looked OK to the naked eye, but once mounted up all manner of flatspots, bulges and tread deformations became evident. Also, Tama, if you're wanting good milage steer away from the TZ, they chop the shoulders out relatively quickly. IMO something like a Supercat (Made by Firestone - pretty much the same pattern as the Bridgestone ER60 but a harder compound) would be a much better option than a second hand tyre, and not much more expensive (And you get 7mm of tread, not 5mm as with the second hand jobbie).

The Supercat is a bit budget I reckon. How about the Bridgestone GR80: http://www.firestone.co.nz/tyres/produc ... _65_15_96H ?


Here lies the other good reason to buy new. You can match the tyre to your driving style and vehicle use. With secondhand you pretty much get what you are given. If missions are your intended use of the boat stay away from budget tyres.
new tyres will also transform the ride of the boat. having almost bald tyres on the front and snow tyres on the back the current ride of the boat must be ratshit.
1scotty1
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby Spyder on Thu 9/Jul/09 10:51am

I think that Farty's only running his 2nd hand retreads on an MGB, so very low dynamic requirements. Even if he is "racing" it.

Tama - I wouldn't buy the bottom tyre from any range, but you probably won't go wrong with the Bridgy/F'stone/Goodyears etc.
Spyder
User avatar
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby Trail on Thu 9/Jul/09 10:58am

neels wrote:
Tama wrote:
Monolith wrote:In the years I was working in the tyre industry I saw many second hand tyres that were absolute rubbish. They looked OK to the naked eye, but once mounted up all manner of flatspots, bulges and tread deformations became evident. Also, Tama, if you're wanting good milage steer away from the TZ, they chop the shoulders out relatively quickly. IMO something like a Supercat (Made by Firestone - pretty much the same pattern as the Bridgestone ER60 but a harder compound) would be a much better option than a second hand tyre, and not much more expensive (And you get 7mm of tread, not 5mm as with the second hand jobbie).

The Supercat is a bit budget I reckon. How about the Bridgestone GR80: http://www.firestone.co.nz/tyres/produc ... _65_15_96H ?

You're liking the firestone/bridgestones, aren't you.

I usually run goodyears, if they're close on price I'd go for them over firestones. Having said that the wife's car has a very nice set of GT's on it at the moment.


methinks he probably knows someone in the game that can give him a deal on that brand of tyres ;)
Trail
User avatar
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby thorg on Thu 9/Jul/09 2:51pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote::hmmm: I've NEVER had a car tyre delaminate ever - town, higher speed open road or motor racing (gymkhanas and sprints).
I've had over 40 cars over the years - almost always running either secondhand or retreads



Your logic is infallable. I still have the second hand oil for your next service, with free used filter. You might also consider the tiger stick i have for sale.
thorg
User avatar
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts

Who is online

61 Users browsing this website: BrokenKonaRider, DotBot, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], oldandlazy, rachelr and 54 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles