Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 8/Jul/09 4:31pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote::thumbsup: Good to know there are a few other Wise heads here like me who know that secondhand tyres are great buying.



ah no, sorry
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby Wobbler on Wed 8/Jul/09 5:00pm

told
Wobbler
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby dicks-naughty-account on Wed 8/Jul/09 5:01pm

tis only true.
dicks-naughty-account
User avatar
"WRANGLER BUTTS DRIVE ME NUTS"
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 8/Jul/09 5:17pm

My room mates guns got nine bullets in it
Nine bullets in my room mates gun.
Gonna find a use for every last one



"Nine Bullets" drive by truckers

just saying.
Henry Dorset Case
User avatar
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby Spokes on Wed 8/Jul/09 6:23pm

Monolith wrote:In the years I was working in the tyre industry I saw many second hand tyres that were absolute rubbish. They looked OK to the naked eye, but once mounted up all manner of flatspots, bulges and tread deformations became evident. Also, Tama, if you're wanting good milage steer away from the TZ, they chop the shoulders out relatively quickly. IMO something like a Supercat (Made by Firestone - pretty much the same pattern as the Bridgestone ER60 but a harder compound) would be a much better option than a second hand tyre, and not much more expensive (And you get 7mm of tread, not 5mm as with the second hand jobbie).


In my limited time working in the tyre industry I concur with Mono.

Never buy Imported used tyres, you can never tell how old they are. And they tend to be hard as hell to as they have been sitting in containers for years.

I guess used ones from a wrecker are ok if you can check them over first. I would never buy tyres online.

But I would never buy used. I would rather have the car off the road than risk crap tyres.

From memory a set of Michelins for my Commodore were $500, well worth it.

And I get alignments regularly and my tyres last better for it.
Spokes
User avatar
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby Toko on Wed 8/Jul/09 7:42pm

Spokes makes a good point, old tyres are dodgy. The rubber oxidises somehow doesn't it, and goes hard?

Some tyres have a code to tell you the age of the tyre. Wikipedia says...

DOT code: All tires for use in the USA have the DOT code, as required by the Department of Transportation (DOT). It specifies the company, factory, mold, batch, and date of production (2 digits for week of the year plus 2 digits for year; or 2 digits for week of the year plus 1 digit for year for tires made prior to 2000). Although not law, tire manufacturers do not suggest using a "new" tire that has been sitting on the shelf for more than 6 years.
Toko
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby CrustyMTB on Wed 8/Jul/09 8:23pm

Tama you have never scrimped on bike tyres in your life, why start now with car tyres, especially when the stakes are a weeeeeeee bit higher (ie if you crash your vessel your bikes might be inside and that would be a tragedy)
CrustyMTB
User avatar
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby avantibill on Wed 8/Jul/09 8:24pm

Shame you don't live in Dunners, Tama, I may have been able to work out a good deal for you.

As for second hand tyres; if you were selling the car, you could justify going down that avenue. Old tyres + open road high speed long distance driving = high risk of tyre delamination.

To get the most out of your new tyres, run them at the pressure the your vehicle recommends. ( I think the Toyota Estima runs about 32 or 33 psi) check preferably when the tyres are cold (ie not driven on for more than a couple of K's) don't trust the pressure gauges at the service station as they tend to get abused. Rotate you tyres after 10 000 - 15 000 K's (tyres on vans tend to wear on the shoulders in the front and on the crown on the rear) Oh make sure the alignment is sweet and oh yes, don't forget your spare, as a flat spare tyre won't get you anywhere. If it had a spacesaver replaced with a conventional wheel, try it on the car to make sure it fits. I have seen on several occasions that the spare is incorrect, ie, the centre hole of the rim is too small to fit over the hub.
avantibill
User avatar
"Dunedin - It's highly rated!"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby Colin on Wed 8/Jul/09 8:30pm

Have never bought 2nd hand tyres. Doubt I ever will.
Colin
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Wed 8/Jul/09 8:34pm

:hmmm: I've NEVER had a car tyre delaminate ever - town, higher speed open road or motor racing (gymkhanas and sprints).
I've had over 40 cars over the years - almost always running either secondhand or retreads


avantibill wrote:Shame you don't live in Dunners, Tama, I may have been able to work out a good deal for you.

As for second hand tyres; if you were selling the car, you could justify going down that avenue. Old tyres + open road high speed long distance driving = high risk of tyre delamination.

To get the most out of your new tyres, run them at the pressure the your vehicle recommends. ( I think the Toyota Estima runs about 32 or 33 psi) check preferably when the tyres are cold (ie not driven on for more than a couple of K's) don't trust the pressure gauges at the service station as they tend to get abused. Rotate you tyres after 10 000 - 15 000 K's (tyres on vans tend to wear on the shoulders in the front and on the crown on the rear) Oh make sure the alignment is sweet and oh yes, don't forget your spare, as a flat spare tyre won't get you anywhere. If it had a spacesaver replaced with a conventional wheel, try it on the car to make sure it fits. I have seen on several occasions that the spare is incorrect, ie, the centre hole of the rim is too small to fit over the hub.
FLATULENTFRIEND
User avatar
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby Scotty on Wed 8/Jul/09 8:35pm

Given Bill's fitted more tyres than you've had hot dinners, I'd go with him.

I think I may be coming to see you tomorrow btw Bill, WOF day.

I should get you to take a look at the shaky steering too... :huh:
Scotty
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby nostromo on Wed 8/Jul/09 8:44pm

OMG I just remembered the bad old days of cheap retreads. I bought this retreaded tyre for my old Falcon wagon which had been retreaded one too many times, you could see the rubber crazing on the side and sure enough I ended up with a blowout on the Wgtn motorway, the sidewall collapsed so fast and so badly I could stick my clenched fist through the resulting hole :o
Thank god those days are over.
nostromo
User avatar
":-("
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby avantibill on Wed 8/Jul/09 8:48pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote::hmmm: I've NEVER had a car tyre delaminate ever - town, higher speed open road or motor racing (gymkhanas and sprints).
I've had over 40 cars over the years - almost always running either secondhand or retreads


Neither have I had that happen to me, I only run new tyres though. I see it happen all the time. Today, for example I replaced a couple of tyres on Jap import 2000 Subaru Impreza that had 2 separated tyres on the front. Customer originally wanted his wheels balanced because of a low speed wobble. The tyres that came off were the original. I have also seen Prado owners utilize their "new" 10 year spare tyre and wonder why 300km later that the tread has peeled off.
avantibill
User avatar
"Dunedin - It's highly rated!"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby Spokes on Wed 8/Jul/09 9:52pm

avantibill wrote:
FLATULENTFRIEND wrote::hmmm: I've NEVER had a car tyre delaminate ever - town, higher speed open road or motor racing (gymkhanas and sprints).
I've had over 40 cars over the years - almost always running either secondhand or retreads


Neither have I had that happen to me, I only run new tyres though. I see it happen all the time. Today, for example I replaced a couple of tyres on Jap import 2000 Subaru Impreza that had 2 separated tyres on the front. Customer originally wanted his wheels balanced because of a low speed wobble. The tyres that came off were the original. I have also seen Prado owners utilize their "new" 10 year spare tyre and wonder why 300km later that the tread has peeled off.


Retreads were horrible, I remember our work cars had to have them. They always wobbled.

My Wifes Caldina came with tyres that had good tread (we bought it as the first NZ owners). It got its WOF easy with them. One drive to Pukekohe killed them. Both rears turned into eggs. Next day it got a new set. They have done huge Ks and are lasting well. Thats down to pressure and alignments.

Bill is right about pressure but i tend to run them a little higher. And find a good alignment guy or learn to do it yourself.
Spokes
User avatar
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby Spokes on Wed 8/Jul/09 9:56pm

CrustyMTB wrote:Tama you have never scrimped on bike tyres in your life, why start now with car tyres, especially when the stakes are a weeeeeeee bit higher (ie if you crash your vessel your bikes might be inside and that would be a tragedy)


Thats a good point, would you buy used tyres for your bike? :crazy:

That would worry me as I rolled into a mad huck........ :cool:
Spokes
User avatar
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts

Who is online

47 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot] and 45 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles