20mm Roof Mounts?

Postby Nordy on Tue 27/Mar/07 8:41am

Does anyone know if there is a 20mm roof mount avaliable?
Nordy
"Canon + me = <3"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby CleverNickName on Tue 27/Mar/07 8:45am

CleverNickName
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby grahamt on Tue 27/Mar/07 8:53am

Alternatively get a rack where you don't need to remove the wheel. These have a hinged arm that clamps onto the downtube, instead of a fork mount. Thule and most other brands make them - about the same price as fork mount.
Fork mounts are a hassle with 20mm axles as unless you've got a rock shox QR maxle, you have to muck around with allen keys etc everytime. Much easier and quicker to leave the wheel on.
grahamt
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby grahamt on Tue 27/Mar/07 8:58am

If you want a really cheap one look at this.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Cycling ... 265771.htm
Looks like two complete bike racks, but some bits missing on the bars, which presumably you don't need anyway. The racks are normally $150 plus each so $50 for two is very cheap - even if you need to replace some parts.
grahamt
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby reido on Tue 27/Mar/07 9:34am

If you buy any Thule Rack where you have to remove the front wheel they come with an adaptor for 20mm. you pull out the locking quick release thingy and it slides though you dropouts and the adaptor (in place of your axle) and locks up just the same.

:)
thule.jpg
reido
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby danose on Tue 27/Mar/07 10:00am

grahamt wrote: Alternatively get a rack where you don't need to remove the wheel. These have a hinged arm that clamps onto the downtube, instead of a fork mount. Thule and most other brands make them - about the same price as fork mount.
Fork mounts are a hassle with 20mm axles as unless you've got a rock shox QR maxle, you have to muck around with allen keys etc everytime. Much easier and quicker to leave the wheel on.

all true - but be aware that the thule model that grips the downtube has issues on some heavily formed frames - ok on my mates intense6.6, won't work with either my reign or his wife's stumpy120

hopefully we'll be seeing the newer 594 which clamps the front wheel out here soon (it's like the old super.g, beefier than the 530 and rated for 40lb bikes)

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product ... =8&sku=594
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby danose on Tue 27/Mar/07 10:03am

reido wrote: If you buy any Thule Rack where you have to remove the front wheel they come with an adaptor for 20mm. you pull out the locking quick release thingy and it slides though you dropouts and the adaptor (in place of your axle) and locks up just the same.

in reality though is sucks (as I found out when I got some 561s) - because the '20mm adaptor' is just a tube, works fine with a maxle/qr20 fork, but for something like fox's with pinch bolts it means doing up the bolts in situ on the carrier - bloody nasty

the hurricane is much better in that at least you get to do the pinch bolts up before manhandling it onto the roof
danose

Postby CleverNickName on Tue 27/Mar/07 10:31am

danose wrote:
reido wrote: If you buy any Thule Rack where you have to remove the front wheel they come with an adaptor for 20mm. you pull out the locking quick release thingy and it slides though you dropouts and the adaptor (in place of your axle) and locks up just the same.

in reality though is sucks (as I found out when I got some 561s) - because the '20mm adaptor' is just a tube, works fine with a maxle/qr20 fork, but for something like fox's with pinch bolts it means doing up the bolts in situ on the carrier - bloody nasty

that system wouldn't work at all on a manitou fork with hex axle
CleverNickName

Postby danose on Tue 27/Mar/07 10:33am

CleverNickName wrote:
danose wrote:

why? the tube is functionally identical to a standard 20mm hub? it's just getting to the clamping system that's a pain

of couse trying to hold a 30lb+ bike in position with one hand and shove a thru axle home with the other is pretty dodgy anyway (really it's a 2 person job)
danose

Postby CleverNickName on Tue 27/Mar/07 12:13pm

danose wrote:
CleverNickName wrote:
danose wrote:

why? the tube is functionally identical to a standard 20mm hub? it's just getting to the clamping system that's a pain

of couse trying to hold a 30lb+ bike in position with one hand and shove a thru axle home with the other is pretty dodgy anyway (really it's a 2 person job)

I see now.. the bits i've highlighted in bold had me thinking you replaced the fork axle with a 20mm pipe while it was mounted in the rack (not fitting the axle through a 20 mm inside diameter bracket as appears to actuall ybe the case)
CleverNickName

Postby SlackBoy on Tue 27/Mar/07 12:19pm

danose wrote:
grahamt wrote: Alternatively get a rack where you don't need to remove the wheel. These have a hinged arm that clamps onto the downtube, instead of a fork mount. Thule and most other brands make them - about the same price as fork mount.

all true - but be aware that the thule model that grips the downtube has issues on some heavily formed frames - ok on my mates intense6.6, won't work with either my reign or his wife's stumpy120
problem solved, just don't buy a gaylord speshy, peasy
SlackBoy
Member for: 16 years 11 months

RE: 20mm Roof Mounts?

Postby fraserb on Tue 27/Mar/07 12:34pm

Nordy wrote: Does anyone know if there is a 20mm roof mount avaliable?
do you have a roof rack already and just need the adaptor bit like the hurricane thing? or do you want a rack that is a 20mm mount?
I looked for a direct mount 20mm rack (one that didnt use any adaptor) a while ago and found nothing, thule do one now and from the breif look I had at one IMHO it was fiddly and could be had to mount a heavy bike by yourself, like Danose said.
I ended up getting an adaptor that I could attach to the bike on the ground and then get up on the roof and slip it into the QR roof rack mount.
If you want to borrow mine for a bit and see what you think of it Nordy let me know and I will get it up to you :thumbsup:
fraserb
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts