1st // Rachel ATHERTON
2nd // Tracey HANNAH
3rd // Myriam NICOLE

Watch their runs here
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Re: 2018 Uci Dh Season

Postby Conners on Sun 22nd Apr 7:01pm

So riders picking their finals start position based on quali?
Will make watching interesting - but potentially anticlimactic?

Will certainly reduce the number of bums in the hot seat throughout the day n
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sun 22nd Apr 8:12pm

Yeah it's BS.
Takes the building tension towards the end of the day away.

Apparently from the team managers so the riders can dodge late weather changes?

edit: so it's from the UCI to have more protected riders last?
Astoria Paranoia

Postby Conners on Sun 22nd Apr 10:06pm

Confusing as fuck.
Will be interesting to see how the coverage plays out - seems totally illogical to me though.
I thought they’d actually given the fastest riders the choice of where to start (which kind of adds another factor to weather events or tracks blowing out badly), but seems it’s forced down by the UCI?
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby wuffy on Mon 23rd Apr 1:09pm

I'll be honest I literally closed the race stream after 20 minutes. Probably the least exciting format/live feed I've seen of a World Cup race.
wuffy
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Mon 23rd Apr 5:33pm

How come?
Lack of cameras/atmosphere etc?
Astoria Paranoia

Postby wuffy on Mon 23rd Apr 7:37pm

Shots started at the gate, went to the pinball chute, then the double/triple rockgarden section where people gapped that little ditch, and then into the bridge and then 20 seconds of them coasting/tucking through the streets. Hardly any quality footage really and almost 0 hype due to the starting order. Just.. meh. Nothing really exciting sadly.
wuffy

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Mon 23rd Apr 7:40pm

That's a pity when the riders seemed to like the track.
Suppose being the first time there and being a small venue it can be hard to get it right first time.

Onto the Fort!
Astoria Paranoia

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Mon 23rd Apr 9:57pm

Conners wrote:Confusing as fuck.
Will be interesting to see how the coverage plays out - seems totally illogical to me though.
I thought they’d actually given the fastest riders the choice of where to start (which kind of adds another factor to weather events or tracks blowing out badly), but seems it’s forced down by the UCI?

Explanation:
Astoria Paranoia

Postby Conners on Mon 23rd Apr 10:23pm

wuffy wrote:Shots started at the gate, went to the pinball chute, then the double/triple rockgarden section where people gapped that little ditch, and then into the bridge and then 20 seconds of them coasting/tucking through the streets. Hardly any quality footage really and almost 0 hype due to the starting order. Just.. meh. Nothing really exciting sadly.

So I’ve just watched the full replay - full coverage of the entire track (commentators noted this was the first time ever). You must’ve given up when thenrider gaps were still too short to cover full runs maybe?

I rated it as the best coverage we’ve ever seen!
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby wuffy on Wed 25th Apr 12:06am

Weird, when I was watching the cut from the gate exit to the first actual shot was 1:30 into the run. No idea.
wuffy

Postby Conners on Wed 25th Apr 4:26pm

wuffy wrote:Weird, when I was watching the cut from the gate exit to the first actual shot was 1:30 into the run. No idea.

Must’ve been the early runs being short gaps and them trying to cover everything/everyone.
I called bullshit when they said they had full coverage - but ran a stopwatch against a run and it was. The replay was just under two hours long though - so probably missed a lot of the early runs.

Not sure if they’re planning full coverage at every round or just there because it was so short.
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Wed 25th Apr 5:10pm

Yeah it's known that they spend more camera time on the later (and faster, bigger) riders.
Was the case last year.
Astoria Paranoia

Postby Conners on Fri 27th Apr 12:42pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:
Conners wrote:Confusing as fuck.

Explanation:

Thanks for this - that actually makes sense now. I didn’t realise that it was protected too 10 from last season - so thought that Bulldog had been put 21st because he’d qualified first and was therefore number one protected rider.

I kind of get where they’re coming from - but it sucks for the poor unprotected guy who has a blinder in quali. Where is his moment in the sun (and coverage for HIS sponsors)?
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Conners on Fri 27th Apr 12:47pm

They absolutely should not run the same top 20 order though - that would be boring as batshit. They must run quali order for protected riders last - Shirley. (Like they did)
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts