Re: 2013 Marzocchi 55 Cr

Postby badch952 on Wed 30/Jan/13 8:42am

Cheers for the feedback. Definitely looks like it might be a goer then. Would also be interested to hear your thoughts after a couple ride INTEGRAL. Guess other advantage of Marzocchi forks, from what I have read, is that they are waaay easier to service and maintain yourself!
badch952
Member for: 5 years 8 months

Postby integral on Fri 1/Feb/13 5:55pm

Fitted the 55 RC's today. Then went and did a few laps on the Gondola in Queenstown. My initial thoughts in them was also 'amazeballs' as Slackboy put it. Buttery performance straight out if the box. Compared to my 36 float they were much more supple on small bumps, had more progressive travel on the big hits. I have ridden the trails a lot but had never had such grip from my front end. The fork kept the tyre in contact with the trail a lot better than the fox. I did four laps and had a lot less arm pump and fatigue when I finished. The fork is a 10/10 from me. If it gets better through riding it in and fine tuning the rebound and compression it will be an 11. For the record I have them set at 150mm and they are fitted to a giant reign.
integral
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby integral on Thu 14/Feb/13 10:20am

Update,
The fork has had about 10 rides on it now. Still really happy with it. Have been venturing into steeper stuff and rock gardens. Really noticing how the fork sits higher in the travel under heavy braking and in the steep stuff. It allows the geometry of the bike to remain a little slacker when things get loose. The fork also has alot better bump eating capabilities in these situations. One thing for concern is the fork has developed a clunking noise and some resistance about 40mm into the travel. this was not present when the fork was installed. Took it in to the LBS who rung the agents who said it was normal. Took it to the Local Zocchi guru who removed the air chamber to try and diagnose. The clunk and reistance was still there. In his opinion it was not normal. Slackboy, does your fork have this issue>
integral

Postby Wobbler on Fri 1/Mar/13 7:50pm

Still dealing with the clunk? or did it get fixed?
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 1/Mar/13 8:24pm

40mm in sounds like the negative spring
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby LanceD on Wed 4/Dec/13 9:51pm

Anyone got any more feedback on these forks?
Not much in the way of reviews out there on the web.
Cheers
LanceD
Member for: 6 years 1 month

Postby integral on Wed 4/Dec/13 10:18pm

Yeah, I've still got mine and loving them. The clicking is from the negative spring and doesn't effect the performance of the fork. The importer replaced the damping cartridge on mine when I sent them in for the clicking to be checked, the damping was a bit fast and the adjustment was maxed out trying to slow it down. Long term reliability has been great. Probably done 200 laps at QT bike park and plenty of trail rides. No leaks from the seals, stanchions still look like new and the fork still works like butter. The fork is almost 1 year old now and still has another year to run on the warranty. I would undoubtedly buy these again.
integral

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 5/Dec/13 11:46am

Rode a borrowed bike with these down Rude Rock in QT last week - minta! Would totally buy.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby gringo on Thu 5/Dec/13 5:06pm

I bought some about 3 months ago to replace some worn out fox 32s. Totally changed the feel of the bike (giant reign), where it had been a little flexy up front is now solid as. Holds its line incredibly well, the rockier and rougher the better, these babies just lap it up.

Only 2 downsides for me is weight and a lack of lockout, just means I have to do most of my climbing seated.

Awesome value for money, wish I had upgraded ages ago.
gringo
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby LanceD on Thu 5/Dec/13 9:56pm

Cool thanks for the info, I think these will be a good option to replace my worn out 36's.
Cheers
LanceD
Member for: 6 years 1 month

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 27/Jan/15 9:51pm

Dredge for tuning tips.

Got a set of 2014s, and they feel stiction-y / notchy, and dive a bit much...
Like most of my experience with air forks really.

I've experimentally added oil via the schrader valve to a Lyrik and a 36 previously, both times it made the feel heaps more progressive and to my liking, but the Lyrik air spring died soon after.

(no idea if those were related things, but not keen to experiment so much here)

So far I've got the 55 at 75psi and 2 clicks of compression. I weigh about 75kg, and my only test so far was two laps of Serendipity this evening.

Thoughts?
Velocipedestrian

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Tue 27/Jan/15 10:12pm

Install Pike upgrade kit.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby phunk on Wed 28/Jan/15 7:43am

Velocipedestrian wrote:Dredge for tuning tips.

I've experimentally added oil via the schrader valve to a Lyrik and a 36 previously, both times it made the feel heaps more progressive and to my liking, but the Lyrik air spring died soon after.

So far I've got the 55 at 75psi and 2 clicks of compression. I weigh about 75kg, and my only test so far was two laps of Serendipity this evening.

Thoughts?

Seals might be dry, try poking a clean zip tie past the seals and drip some fork oil down there.

Wind some more compression damping on to stop Them diving.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 28/Jan/15 3:15pm

phunk wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:Dredge for tuning tips.

Thoughts?

Seals might be dry, try poking a clean zip tie past the seals and drip some fork oil down there.

Wind some more compression damping on to stop Them diving.

Cheers Phunk, I'll try the oil drip - if they get plusher I'll feel better about adding more compression damping.
Velocipedestrian

Postby integral on Wed 28/Jan/15 8:08pm

Mine are still mint, 2 years old next month. Still on the original seals, have done about 400 runs down Skyline and heaps of trail riding. I have dropped the lowers twice and replaced oil which was clean both times. I run the compression damping right out and rebound somewhere in the middle (I am 85 kegs). Those forks are the Boss, way better than any Fox or RS product I have owned. Will totally get Zocchi forks first up in the future when a finally grow into a larger wheeled ride.
integral

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Cycling | Forks | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts