Re: 2013 Bmx World Champs - Vector Arena, July

Postby dented on Fri 26/Jul/13 7:05am

Long day yesterday and things still sinking in. Here is a little story. A bit over a year ago my brother and his wife came along to watch my kids race bmx. A short time later they bought a small bike for their daughter. Then in February Jeannette, the mum, bought a cruiser for herself so she could ride around with her daughter. Then after watching the nationals back in march, she decided she would like to race herself, so she applied for a licence. 2 weeks later bmx nz opened up entries for the worlds fields where nz had not completely filled up their quota. In a moment of madness she applied, and a week later the entry was accepted. That was at the end if April. What followed was 10 weeks of practice, training and some coaching. Last night she won all 3 motos, then her quarter final, then third in the semi, then third in the final behind Vanessa Quinn and an Australian lady. From nowhere to world #3 in one of the biggest fields at worlds, with entrants from almost every country present. It's a fairy tale
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Derryn Hinch on Fri 26/Jul/13 7:24am

What a story! :thumbsup:
Derryn Hinch
User avatarMedal
"....... but I never called her fat!!!"
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby Oli on Fri 26/Jul/13 8:45am

Awesome!
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby nagem on Fri 26/Jul/13 9:29am

That is so cool. I was there yesterday and the vibe was just amazing at the finals.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby Rik on Fri 26/Jul/13 12:18pm

dented wrote:Long day yesterday and things still sinking in. Here is a little story. A bit over a year ago my brother and his wife came along to watch my kids race bmx. A short time later they bought a small bike for their daughter. Then in February Jeannette, the mum, bought a cruiser for herself so she could ride around with her daughter. Then after watching the nationals back in march, she decided she would like to race herself, so she applied for a licence. 2 weeks later bmx nz opened up entries for the worlds fields where nz had not completely filled up their quota. In a moment of madness she applied, and a week later the entry was accepted. That was at the end if April. What followed was 10 weeks of practice, training and some coaching. Last night she won all 3 motos, then her quarter final, then third in the semi, then third in the final behind Vanessa Quinn and an Australian lady. From nowhere to world #3 in one of the biggest fields at worlds, with entrants from almost every country present. It's a fairy tale

One word epic

What a story for the grandkids
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby Slapheid on Tue 30/Jul/13 8:30am

This ruled.
Me and the kids shouted ourselves hoarse on Sunday during the Elites
General admission on Sat, so got a good view at the landing to the stepup/double into the first corner. The big boys were tripling the whole thing ~ 36ft. :D
Slapheid
"Good things come to those who gate."
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby dented on Tue 30/Jul/13 3:19pm

Yeah my throat is still in tatters from Sunday, it was awesome :)
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

BMX Racing | BMX Riding | Cycling - Latest Posts