Re: 2012 World Track Champs

Postby steak and cheese on Wed 11/Apr/12 3:14pm

musket wrote:Interesting, you're right about bars. He was about 3m from me during the points race (same bike / bars) and was running a 3T bar that was more aero than the ones I normally see. The Aussie team were very strictly stopping people from photographing bikes in the pits, but there may be some decent ones out there. He's on a Pro stem, so bar was likely rebadged (maybe Oval, Zipp or Reynold aero offerings).

You would have been closer than me (I only saw it on TV).

But here's a photo of Cam after the points race, and before the UCI made him cover up his WC stripes. The bars look like standard drops to me, though the I expect the bar top has an aero profile.

And here's a madison photo from 2010 when he was racing on the 3T Sphinx bars. You'll notice that his Sphinx bars are fitted with a really short stem - this is because there's a UCI rule that prohibits any bars from extending more than 5cm forward of the front axle (the rule was introduced to prevent the 'superman' style riding position)

Last edited by steak and cheese on Wed 11/Apr/12 7:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
steak and cheese
Member for: 5 years 8 months

Postby steak and cheese on Wed 11/Apr/12 3:17pm

Oh. Before I forget, here's a photo of Cam's bike after the UCI made him cover up his WC stripes for the madison race.

I thought that leaving the green and gold stripes on his bike was a pretty classy way of saying "fuck you" to the petty UCI officials.

steak and cheese

Postby Mickyfinn on Wed 11/Apr/12 3:51pm

I thought that one a the uk girls looked like she had ilegal tri bars.... i.e. the angle of her fore arm to should was greater than 90 degrees??
Mickyfinn
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby gydey on Thu 12/Apr/12 7:25pm

Mate...the measuring of the arms angle..seat position is just a game..even at this level. There is a rule in the rulebook that says that measurements are enforced...except for morphological reasons..in other words the length of the person limbs. The NZ TP aero set up was always illegal as all of our riders were so tall and long limbed..but you can always cheat the system if you want. The measurement is done in a static position so if you know you are running illegally long, when it comes for the measurement you simply pull yourself forward on the seat to make the arms make the 90% and alternatively if you are running short on the seat behind the BB you sit back on the seat to make the correct leg angle hahaha. Weve done it for years :-)
gydey
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Mickyfinn on Thu 12/Apr/12 7:31pm

yeah,

it just she stood out for me she had a little bit of a superman thing going on
Mickyfinn
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby musket on Thu 12/Apr/12 11:15pm

Gydey - all the saddles were checked immediately after bikes were weighed, and I believe the 3* rule enforced.
musket
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby johnL on Fri 13/Apr/12 7:02am

from what I saw of our TP none of them ever sat in their seats, they all had the rivet right up the one way valve. So sitting back would lengthen the reach, but none sat there
johnL
"2x Trust House Tour of Wellington Winner, DS Team Cardno"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby steak and cheese on Fri 13/Apr/12 5:50pm

Saw these on another forum - they're the new sprint bars from BT (similar to the 3T Scatto but with 3cm more reach).

steak and cheese

Postby musket on Fri 13/Apr/12 10:40pm

johnL wrote:from what I saw of our TP none of them ever sat in their seats, they all had the rivet right up the one way valve. So sitting back would lengthen the reach, but none sat there

Hey John - 50mm (relevant to reach) was being checked, but also angle. Every bike got angle checked.

Interestingly, modified saddles are now banned, although I noticed Freire still allowed (not disallowed, perhaps) to ride his.
musket

Postby steak and cheese on Fri 13/Apr/12 11:08pm

musket wrote:
johnL wrote:from what I saw of our TP none of them ever sat in their seats, they all had the rivet right up the one way valve. So sitting back would lengthen the reach, but none sat there

Hey John - 50mm (relevant to reach) was being checked, but also angle. Every bike got angle checked.

Interestingly, modified saddles are now banned, although I noticed Freire still allowed (not disallowed, perhaps) to ride his.

They're supposed to use a jig to check the bike geometry. There's a jig template in the guidebook.

AFAIK any piece of equipment that has been modified is now banned in competition. The UCI is formulating a list of "approved" equipment so that they don't get surprised by new innovations like the Sphinx bars being presented at competitions.

The UCI really are a sad bunch of wankers.
steak and cheese

Postby musket on Fri 13/Apr/12 11:11pm

The problem with the jigs is that they vary wildly and are often incorrectly set. I was told I could move a saddle forward 15mm at Oceanias, despite having checked / set it with a laser bang on 50mm. When I observed the jig wasn't straight (and so loads of bikes legal at Aussie nats were illegal at NZ hosted Oceania's) the Comm agree when I said "ah well, I reckon my laser must be bent then!".

doh.
musket

Postby steak and cheese on Fri 13/Apr/12 11:32pm

musket wrote:The problem with the jigs is that they vary wildly and are often incorrectly set. I was told I could move a saddle forward 15mm at Oceanias, despite having checked / set it with a laser bang on 50mm. When I observed the jig wasn't straight (and so loads of bikes legal at Aussie nats were illegal at NZ hosted Oceania's) the Comm agree when I said "ah well, I reckon my laser must be bent then!".

doh.

Agreed. In case you're interested, here is the instructions that the UCI provides for making jigs (pdf format)

http://www.uci.ch/includes/asp/getTarge ... id=NjUxMTY

In case anyone thinks I'm joking about the "approved equipment" list then please read the following (pdf format)

http://www.rad-net.de/html/bdr/bekanntm ... s-2012.pdf

The rationale is presented on page 2

The enforcement of the rules improves the fairness and safety during the races:
• Limit the impact of the equipment on the performance
• The race victory to the best rider, not the best machine
• The preservation of the culture and image of the bicycle
• Principles of the Lugano Charter

Excerpts from pages 41 and41

• By virtue of Articles 1.3.004 and 1.3.005 of the UCI Regulations and the Lugano Charter, the UCI has decided to no longer tolerate the presentation of technical innovations in competition as faits accomplis
• Technical innovations have to be submitted and approved by the UCI in advance to be allowed in competition
• It is prohibited to modify the equipment used in competition in relation to the products supplied by the manufacturer, for obvious safety reasons
• Modifying the length of the saddle, adapting approved wheels, removing the dropout safety tab, adding tape to handlebars to meet the 3:1 rule, covering holes or screws with tape (except for the valve of disc wheels) or transforming any component of the bicycle
• No modification of equipment that is not conducted by the manufacturer is authorised by the UCI without prior approval
• Tape added for a better grip of the hands is the only exceptions, but it must be identifiable and used solely as the locations for the hands

From page 46

• All models of frames and forks under development on 1st January 2011 which had not reached the production stage have to get approved to be allowed in competitions (road, track, cyclo-cross)

Hope you find this useful.
steak and cheese

Postby Conners on Sat 14/Apr/12 2:52pm

musket wrote: "ah well, I reckon my laser must be bent then!".

:lol: :lol:

Also - Alt+248 = ° bruv ;) [/geek]
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby musket on Mon 16/Apr/12 1:51am

:lol: Yeah - one of the comm's pulled out a builder's tape and did a quick triangle measure and then said "It's preeeettty close". Let's hope he never builds anything more than a tt rig.
musket

Cycling | Track Cycling - Latest Posts