Re: 2011 Port Hills Mtb Hillclimb Series, Christchurch

Postby Slapheid on Thu 27/Jan/11 10:00am

XCwife wrote:
Slapheid wrote:Would dearly love to take part but 6 - 7pm is the "teatime to bedtime" transition for the kids.:(
If it was 8- 9pm I would be there.

Sorry Slapheid - we ran a survey before we started the series a few years ago and this day and time slot was the one which suited the most people. It also suits us as we have an early dinner and then we can get our kids (9 and 11) home afterwards before it is too late.

As your children get older you can bring them along! :)

Nice one. I think its about me getting it organised domestically to be able to get out and take part. Having it at 6 - also allows a decent 'warm down' ride before it goes pitch black :)
Hope to get out to wobble up Worseleys next week.

Ps I think I would be hard pushed to get down Rapaki in the time it took the fast guys & girls to get up it last night!
Slapheid
"Good things come to those who gate."
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby XCguy on Thu 27/Jan/11 12:15pm

Jemetch wrote:What is the all-knowing adjudicator's final position on wind-assistance around the end of last night? (and therefore whether I can use the time for the mtb leaderboard?) I ask the all-knowing adjudicator to please not be influenced by the fact that my time last night was a full 2 minutes and 6 seconds under my current time on the board :o and would see said adjudicator sink further into 2nd spot.

:lol:
Um, that is up to you. I only stood at the top so didn't get a true feel of what it was like coming up except at 5:50pm when I rode up. The conditions at the top when you got there were almost calm compared to 20 minutes earlier. Those who left between 6:30 and 6:45 or so would have had a lot more of a tail wind going by what I felt at the top. I am not worried if you take that time for the leaderboard. If you felt like you were not significantly advantaged then go for it. Malcs has posted his.
As far as me being second goes, that new weapon of yours will have you flying ahead of me once your bung arm is bung no more so not really an issue :blink:
Last edited by XCguy on Thu 27/Jan/11 1:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
XCguy
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby malcs on Thu 27/Jan/11 12:22pm

my run was pretty early on and didn't think it was that windy. wind was much stronger after 6.30. I'm happy :) with my efforts (and time) as I've never smashed myself :satan: :cry: :crazy: that hard on rapaki before and it took me about 30min and a massive coughing fit before i could breathe properly again. fun evening thanks XCfamily
malcs
"if you don't puke, you're not trying hard enough"
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby XCguy on Thu 27/Jan/11 12:38pm

malcs wrote:I've never smashed myself that hard on rapaki before and it took me about 30min and a massive coughing fit before i could breathe properly again. fun evening thanks XCfamily

:D Was awesome to see most riders giving it absolutely everything. Some people looked completely and totally smashed after crossing the line. Love it! :thumbsup:

That was a good time you did Malcs. Bring on Worsleys aye
XCguy

Postby Jemetch on Thu 27/Jan/11 1:09pm

XCguy wrote:The conditions at the top when you got there were almost calm compared to 20 minutes earlier. Those who left between 6:30 and 7:45 or so would have had a lot more of a tail wind going by what I felt at the top.

6:30 and 6:45 ?

Checked a met station in St Martins which shows wind dropping to nothing between about 6:50 and 7:20, which matches pretty well with your observations.

I didn't really notice the wind on the way up (there was lots of traffic to negotiate, plus my top managed to upzip itself completely... so I was busy trying to look buff and not blind passers-by with the glare). I was feeling good with freshish legs & it's usually a southerly when I head up there, so felt like I was flying. When I got to the top & stopped and thought about it I was vaguely concerned it could be due to the wind. However based on my recent efforts I was aiming for a time in the 14's, so think it is probably a legit result.
Jemetch
"a kind of very, very long cat"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby XCguy on Thu 27/Jan/11 1:25pm

Oh yup, 6:45 :blush:

That time period was just a guess so I just looked at my finish sheet to confirm - I had noted that the wind had got noticebly stronger at the top at 6:41pm and then had a real blast at 6:50pm before dropping off almost completely a few minutes later to what it was between 6 and 6:41pm.
XCguy

Postby JUANGEAR on Thu 27/Jan/11 2:36pm

crap, do you think the wind might have been worth a minute? Was dead still when I started 3rd. I went a heck of a lot faster this year than last. I think it was due to the lack of gears this time :)
JUANGEAR
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby XCguy on Thu 27/Jan/11 2:43pm

JUANGEAR wrote:crap, do you think the wind might have been worth a minute? Was dead still when I started 3rd. I went a heck of a lot faster this year than last. I think it was due to the lack of gears this time :)

You started soon after I rode up and I thought it was pretty calm. Most of the fast riders did their climb before the tailwind really kicked in I think. For most it would have been just a light northerly that wouldn't have helped much. You looked like you were flying up that last section.
XCguy

Postby JUANGEAR on Thu 27/Jan/11 2:54pm

yeah my first half was horrbile, suffering away. Last half was much better :thumbsup: Looking forward to Worsleyt next week. Doubt I will be able to clean it on the ss though. Still there is a first time for everything.
JUANGEAR

Postby Nick_K on Thu 27/Jan/11 3:30pm

If my shoulder heals by next week I might try make it to race you Dayle.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby JUANGEAR on Thu 27/Jan/11 3:39pm

fix it Dr Nick!
JUANGEAR

Postby noel_whiteside on Fri 28/Jan/11 6:44am

JUANGEAR wrote:yeah my first half was horrbile, suffering away. Last half was much better :thumbsup: Looking forward to Worsleyt next week. Doubt I will be able to clean it on the ss though. Still there is a first time for everything.

Your first half can't have been to horrible, you caught me inside 2.5 minutes
noel_whiteside
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby Tri on Fri 28/Jan/11 7:42am

XCguy wrote:
Norwester wrote:Cheers XCguy (& XCwife and daughter)
Last year you said a good time was 30sec off your PB. I guess 24secs misses the mark? :crazy:

Was that a Jeff Jones or Black Sheep custom titanium bike I saw at the top? That was cool.

Thanks Norwester. Are you referring to the CX bike? If so, that is a Cove Titanium frame. She's pretty nice and weighs in at half a smidgen more than nothing

I suspect you saw this bike. It is a Black Sheep which is occasionally mistaken for a Jones.
PA152085.JPG
Tri
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Norwester on Fri 28/Jan/11 8:42am

Yeah that's the bike I saw! I like them, but I suspect not their price.
Norwester
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby XCguy on Tue 1/Feb/11 8:39pm

Righto boys and girls, tomorrow is round 2. Worsleys Track, with starts from 6pm through until 7pm. Current forecast for 6pm is sunny, 18 degrees, light SE breeze, a few ruts, some high heart rates and a bit of pain. :)

See you there?
XCguy

Canterbury | Christchurch | Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Events | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Port Hills | Regions - Latest Posts